Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm new here and I have a few questions to get me started. I've never overclocked anything before (except a toaster that I accidentally blew up by hooking up to WAY too high a voltage receptacle. I didn't know you could melt metal THAT fast with electricity)

What I got

TWO of these machines

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton Core 400mhz FSB
Ultra DDR Single Channel 2x512 PC3200 400mhz FSB
Soyo KT880 Dragon 2 Mainboard
XFX GeForce FX 5700LE 256mb DDR (operating in 4x mode since DOOM 3 seems to hate 8x when drawing 2D stuff)
Onboard Rhine Family Gigabit Nic
C.L. Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
Western Digital 80gb ATA100 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD

Case Cooling is performed by 2 80mm Coolmax Case fans
CPU Cooling is a Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12
Power is Ultra 500w with dual 80mm fans
Case is from the Antec Dragon Series with Clear Side and PCI 80mm fan
Cables are all rounded IDE for airflow

I have never seen the temp on CPU or in the case go above 46C but I haven;t had these machines through a Colorado Summer yet.

My question is where do I begin tweaking these beasts. One of them is currently running Windows XP Pro SP2, the other is functioning as my home's central server and is runnign Windows 2003 Enterprise Server in preparation for the cluster nodes I'm building. (Having an MSDN Universal is SWEET for my test environment)

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
That board with a Via chipset is going to cause problems because it won't lock the AGP or PCI buses as you increase the FSB, but overclocking is as simple as going into BIOS manually increase the FSB. Start with like 5 or so MHz increments. Eventually the system will hang or just restart on a loop and that's when you add some more CPU core voltage. After making a core voltage adjustments, it's a good idea to go into Windows, get a Program called Prime95 and let it run for an hour or two to make sure the temperatures to exceed the safe zone (50-55C depending on who you ask) and to check is the system is stable.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

pfft, I'm doing homework

Thanks guys,

I just tested my system wiht the free version of 3dMark and scored only a 2043. I guess these systems suck and it's back to the drawing boards.

Does anyone have any other reccomendations of FREE testing programs since I can;t afford the 30 bucks to buy the full version of 3d mark.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
All of the 3DMark serioes (01SE, 03, and 05), AquaMark3, Sisoftware Sandra 2004/5, Prime95, Super Pi.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just tested again and got 2044 3dmark and 567 CPU... These two PC's just got moved to my "junk system pile"

and I was hoping that these were gonna be good PC's to work on for a while.

My next machines will be Alienwares. Definately be the last time I invest money in building my own. All the hardware reviews are junk advertising. I can;t afford to swap out and test all the different parts myself. It stinks when people with slower machines than mine are scoring three times higher than I am. I won't be bothering to overclock these, not when the same CPU in a diffrent machine could perform 3 times faster. Man I wish there was no selection in Hardware sometimes. Then everythign would work out of the box and actually perform the way they it will. But enough ranting about the deficiencies of my computers. I think I have an old 486 somewhere that I will be making my production server

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
First off, don't buy alienware.... there could be no greater wasted amount of money, you can build a machine twice as good for half the cost. Secondly, I think you're running the wrong tests. Run 3DMark01SE.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
I'm guessing you've been running 3DMark 2005 or is it 03, which one. Also Go through the bios and just have a look around to get familiar then start asking questions about the bios.

Never say never, biulding computers your self is the only way your going to overl**** and get what you want, just about all pre-biult systems including Alienware use crappy mobo's that suck hiary sack at overclocking.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
If you want to OC first things you need to do are to get rid of thoughs XP3000 CPUs and thoughs mainboards and buy a DFI infinity, lanparty ultra b or a AN7, but make sure you flash to the latest bios for the AN7. After that get yourself a nice XP-M and your set.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Why buy another CPU just for overlocking, that takes away the whole point of ocing your machine. Yuo oc to get a faster System for free. Yuo dont go out and start spending cash willy nilly. All he needs is to get 1 good Athlon mainboard and then try it with both CPU's and see which one gets the highest. Then he can put the CPU that didn't overlcok too well onto one fo the old mobo's. Thats how it's done my firend

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittani

Just tested again and got 2044 3dmark and 567 CPU... These two PC's just got moved to my "junk system pile"

and I was hoping that these were gonna be good PC's to work on for a while.

My next machines will be Alienwares. Definately be the last time I invest money in building my own. All the hardware reviews are junk advertising. I can;t afford to swap out and test all the different parts myself. It stinks when people with slower machines than mine are scoring three times higher than I am. I won't be bothering to overclock these, not when the same CPU in a diffrent machine could perform 3 times faster. Man I wish there was no selection in Hardware sometimes. Then everythign would work out of the box and actually perform the way they it will. But enough ranting about the deficiencies of my computers. I think I have an old 486 somewhere that I will be making my production server

Those are good pc's to work for awhile... You CPU is by no means weak, what your system is missing is a good video card, you have a 5700le, what else do you expect in 3dmark05??? those cards are outdated (3dmak05 uses a bunch of new things) and were weak even in their time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, went into the bios, tried setting the AGP from 4x to 8x (which it supposedly supports) and now the 3D is all garbled. Turned the processor default setting from normal to fast and it wouldn't boot... had to reset the BIOS... is the VIA chipset for AMD's really that bad?

If yes,

What is the best Mainboard to use with an AMD XP3000+?

AND

Assuming I want to stay with an Nvidia GPU what card will fix the 8x random garble problem?

I know the ram and the processor and my other hardware is fine, I just get consistently poor scores, even when I turn the thing up and get it to boot.

BTW I'm running 3dMark03

I'll try to get 3DMark01

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Ok, went into the bios, tried setting the AGP from 4x to 8x (which it supposedly supports) and now the 3D is all garbled. Turned the processor default setting from normal to fast and it wouldn't boot... had to reset the BIOS... is the VIA chipset for AMD's really that bad?

If yes,

What is the best Mainboard to use with an AMD XP3000+?

AND

Assuming I want to stay with an Nvidia GPU what card will fix the 8x random garble problem?

I know the ram and the processor and my other hardware is fine, I just get consistently poor scores, even when I turn the thing up and get it to boot.

BTW I'm running 3dMark03

I'll try to get 3DMark01

For that processor

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B

GPU - Any of the Nvidia 6 Series Cards will make your scores look really nice

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

For that processor

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B

GPU - Any of the Nvidia 6 Series Cards will make your scores look really nice

Cool Thanks,

ok... did a full re-test and got more useful info this time.

All bios settings were the "failsafe defaults"

3DMark03 - 2046
3DMark01SE - 9225

Not to mention I just figured out that all of my installed drivers are Microsoft drivers. I would prolly see better performance if I updated the Video Bios and used NVidia's Drivers.Soyo's MB drivers suck so i've been told but I should see better performance with the 3rd party drivers too no?

--EDIT--

I checked out the motherboard, not a bad price, but I have a question on the video card... they all have only 128mb of memory or are PCI express. Forgive my stupidity but can someone point me in the right direction on this one? The prices all jump from a hundred bucks to like 400. I'd like a good card with AGP8x, VGA, and 256mb of DDR or DDR3, beyond being an Nvidia card and those specs I'm open to suggestion. Gaming hardware is just not my cup of tea hehe..

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok... give me pro's and cons of getting the following upgrades...

New Parts
Gigabyte 7N400 ProII Nvidia Socket A Mainboard
XFX Geforce 6800GT 256mb DDR3 AGP 8X
Ultra Dual Channel 1024MB PC4000 DDR 500MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

Old Parts
AMD Athlon XP3000+ 400mhz Barton Core
Audigy2 ZS PCI
Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm ATA-100 8mb

I plan to get a pair of raid 0 raptors someday but not right now.... need to get the core right first. I only want to get 10k-11k scores on 3dmark03 i'm not looking to do SERIOUS overclocking, I just want to be able to perform at the upper end of the processor's capability. The 64's are a ways off for me since I lost my job and can;t dump 4g's into a new gaming rig. The above upgrades will cost me about 800 as it is.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
I think with those upgrades you will be setting pretty, if you post your case information, we can also suggest case upgrades and/or revisions.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Ok... give me pro's and cons of getting the following upgrades...

New Parts
Gigabyte 7N400 ProII Nvidia Socket A Mainboard
XFX Geforce 6800GT 256mb DDR3 AGP 8X
Ultra Dual Channel 1024MB PC4000 DDR 500MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

Old Parts
AMD Athlon XP3000+ 400mhz Barton Core
Audigy2 ZS PCI
Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm ATA-100 8mb

I plan to get a pair of raid 0 raptors someday but not right now.... need to get the core right first. I only want to get 10k-11k scores on 3dmark03 i'm not looking to do SERIOUS overclocking, I just want to be able to perform at the upper end of the processor's capability. The 64's are a ways off for me since I lost my job and can;t dump 4g's into a new gaming rig. The above upgrades will cost me about 800 as it is.

for 800 you couldve built a kick ass A64 system, just to let you know

1 - 20 of 32 Posts