Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am trying to overclock my system by following the official am2 overclocking guide but I run into POST problems at section 4: isolating the motherboard. I put in the settings that are supposed to underclock my ram and cpu. After this, my computer doesn't even start and I have to remove the battery from the mobo. I have read postings stating that my mobo is crap but it should be overclockable. I truly need some advice for my mobo. All my stats are posted right below this text. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You underclocked it? How far? If it went too low I'm pretty sure it won't boot.

Also, all chips overclock differently, you can't just slap in settings from someone else and hope it works. Try playing around with the settings in the BIOS.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post
uhh what are you trying to do? there is no clear question.
Your right, no clear goal is stated. I am trying to overclock my system by following this guide http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...ocket-am2.html. At section for it states that the overclocker (which would be me) needs to isolate the mobo. So, I try following the recommendations which are
Reference Clock: 200
CPU Multiplier: 5x
HT Multiplier: 5x
CPU Voltage: 1.35v
Memory Setting: DDR2 400
Memory Timings: 5-5-5-18-26-2T (keep all other timings on Auto)
Memory Voltage: Whatever the default voltage is for your memory, you should have already researched and figured this out before attempting to overclock.
Motherboard Voltage: Whatever the default voltage is for your motherboard, you should have already researched and figured this out before attempting to overclock.

And after this no luck. My computer starts beeping and does not start.

·
Hardware Aficionado
821 Posts
In my experience a lot of ECS boards are poor overclockers. I can't boot my athlon II system (has an ECS mATX AM2+ board) with more than a 5mhz OC regardless of the settings I use...

EDIT: try to find someone else in the forums with the same board and see if they had any success. If you have any luck, make sure you check which bios rev. they're running

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What can be done with this mobo? I knows this is a silly question since everybody has different mobo's and rarely will you get somebody that has a older mobo like mine. But nonetheless I know something can be done. I have changed my reference clock from 200 to 206. After 206 my system starts acting up like it freezes and random restarts. This all I have done so far but it feels like this is all I can do. Can anybody give some direction?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelL421
View Post

In my experience a lot of ECS boards are poor overclockers. I can't boot my athlon II system (has an ECS mATX AM2+ board) with more than a 5mhz OC regardless of the settings I use...

EDIT: try to find someone else in the forums with the same board and see if they had any success. If you have any luck, make sure you check which bios rev. they're running

Yeah, it feels like the ECS is rubbish for overclocking but I can still try anyhow. Searching for people with the same mobo is a good tip but I am not sure on how to do that. Do I make a thread asking if anybody dealt with a ecs nforce4m-a?

·
Hardware Aficionado
821 Posts
just typed in your mobo on the search bar and found this, check out the last post by Kamikaze127. Seems like he had some success OC'ing with the same board, you might try sending him a PM?

http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherb...rclocking.html

Good luck with it

• Rep+
Reactions: cccp

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I was trying to isolate my problem and I realized that my memory clocks were the culprit. I am starting to understand more about overclocking. However, I do not understand how memory affects the performance of a CPU. Can someone give an explanation for a noob?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts