Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a winchester 3000+ overclocked to 2.4Ghz. At idel speeds my cpu temps are usally in the mid 30's(depending on how cold my room is at the time), but on a full load, such a .mp3 encoding, my temps get up to 51 C and sometimes a little more. Will it hurt my CPU to run at this temperature under full load. Also right now i have one of those 120mm smart fans blowing air out the top of my case, but it's always running at 1100 rpms because my system never gets hot enough for it. Should i ditch this fan and get a different one that runs at full speeds all the time, and if i should what kinda 120mm fan should i get. Is it worth the money to get a fan that has a manual rpm ajuster, so i can get a good balance between noise and air flow. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
You want to keep it under 55C, so you're fine, but if possible, you may want to invest in a good heatsink like a Thermalright XP-120. For a good 120mm fan, I suggest the Panaflo 120x38mm Medium speed at www.sidewindercomputers.com I have 3 of them, and they move a lot of air (90cfm) and are almost completely silent (35dBa), a great buy at only $10 too

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also wanted to add to this post that the thermal compound that i am using has no silver in it. Its just some basic stuff that i picked up at radio shack. It seems to do an ok job, but i really have no data to compair the compound to. Should i upgrade the my thermal paste, or will it really not have much of a difference. If i am going to shed 4C or so than i might do it, but if the difference is minimal i wont bother.

Also to add i have a a retail heatsink and fan on my cpu.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would recomend getting Artic Silver 5 thermal compound it may/probably will shave 2-4 C off your temps. With the paste u prolly won't "need" a after market heatsink, but cooler is always better (plus more room for ocing
)

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommystud50

I also wanted to add to this post that the thermal compound that i am using has no silver in it. Its just some basic stuff that i picked up at radio shack. It seems to do an ok job, but i really have no data to compair the compound to. Should i upgrade the my thermal paste, or will it really not have much of a difference. If i am going to shed 4C or so than i might do it, but if the difference is minimal i wont bother.

Also to add i have a a retail heatsink and fan on my cpu.

AS5 would probably give you a small drop in temps, specially in load temps since the change from idle to load looks to be quite a jump. That bird poop from radio shack works alright, but once you put it through some heat for it'll dry up...

Everytime I've removed a heatsink with the bird poop thermal paste it's been dry from being there a few months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts