Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will layout the problems I have and I would like someone to tell me the source of the problem as I can't seem to find it without using another rig, which I don't have access to this moment. It will be a very detailed description so please bear with me.

Problems:

-LCD Monitor plugged with native DVI creates no display, although CRT monitor with DVI/VGA adapter works perfectly (in Windows). EDIT: LCD works also using DVI/VGA
-8800 GTX causes Code 43 error in Windows 7 (meaning hardware has problem and is partly disabled)
-Weird white bars bars are everywhere on the screen during POST but display is perfect in boot loader and Windows 7

Heres the story before this all happened:

I updated my P5N32-E SLI motherboard BIOS to 1701 booted the rig and did my usual (browser/music/GPU and CPU folding). Then I decided to see if the new BIOS would improve my overclocking ability and pushed the board to 500FSB with pretty high northbridge voltages (around 1.55V IIRC). After this the computer was not able to post for at least 18hours (started a thread on this in the Intel Motherboard section) and almost miraculously it starts working again after clearing the CMOS over and over and reseating the cards (I actually think the changing the slot for the 8800 GTX fixed the problem but this could be a coincidence).

I then go back to my usual routine of intenet, music, folding, etc and everything works perfectly other than Chrome freezing up a couple of times. After a couple of hours the screen suddenly fills with 256 color styled spots until the computer finally crashes, BSOD or freezes. Reboot the rig everything is fine until I start folding on the GPU. So I reboot again and run ATItool to see if my GPU is overheating and the fan speed is going up correctly, everything was OK until I start the artifact detector which made the computer crash like before. After a couple of troubleshooting attempts my main monitor would not display. Plugged my old monitor and I am left with the problems stated above.

Here is what I did to try and solve:

-Removed everything to only to only boot with the essential
-8800GTX was changed slots
-BIOS was defaulted
-8800GTX was opened up to see if dust was blocking the heastsink
-Unplugging the LCD monitor for a couple of minutes and trying again
-Switching monitor plug to try and get the new monitor to work when the computer was on
-Removed/reintalled 8800 GTX drivers (also tried different versions)

Also please don't tell me to RMA since the 8800 GTX is past warranty, I've talked to ASUS about the motherboard and I'm not really sure how long Acer monitors have of warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, oh and thank you for your time if you read the whole thing

PS: I was also wondering if my gfx card could have damaged my monitor? or maybe the DVI input/ouput?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,955 Posts
Wow. I read this very carefully, and I've actually spent about the last 10 minutes thinking about it. The following isn't saying very much, but, I think the problem was caused by overvolting the Northbridge, or "MCP", and now I think there's something wrong with it thereby making it impossible to use anything other than a CRT. However, I don't know what the differences are on the system between a CRT and an LCD. But, here's a quote from Newegg's Learning Center:

Quote:

The Northbridge (or GMCH/MCH in Intel chipsets) often refers to the chip that handles communications between the CPU, memory, AGP or PCI Express and the Southbridge. The Northbridge often includes the memory controller.

The Southbridge (Intel calls this the ICH) provides connections to I/O devices, such as the PCI bus, USB, PATA, SATA and PCI Express devices. Other Southbridge functions include interrupt controller, real time clock, power management (ACPI and APM), SMBus and so on. Southbridge chips are usually connected to Northbridge chips.

I don't know how this information can be helpful, but it looks like it might be helpful anyway.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have considered that but the weird thing is that I was able to Fold and use the LCD monitor for around 4hours after restoring from the NB overvolting incident.

What I think might have happened is that the 8800 GTX decided to die on me while I was overclocking my board which later probably kill the LCD monitor or DVI ports. Causing the motherboard not to POST in the first place. This would also explain the weird POST display, Monitor and Code 43 in Windows, but what I don't understand is how I am still able to use Windows without artifacts and such.

Edit: More info on BIOS

Quote:

DescriptionP5N32-E SLI BIOS 1701.
Fix PCIE VGA card might fail to function when being plugged in the third PCIEx16 slot.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
One thing that seems to be obvious is that the DVI digital output doesn't seem to be working... either the Video Card or LCD. Using the DVI-VGA adapter is not the same as DVI-D to DVI-D. All video cards initially produce a digital video signal, which is converted into analog at the output, when a non digital display is connected. The analog signal travels to the monitor and is re-converted back into a digital signal in the LCD monitor. So your Video card is actually doing this conversion, or the VGA wouldn't work. A DVI-I (DVI-Integrated) connection can be either digital or analog, (DVI-A [DVI-Analog] or DVI-D [DVI-Digital]).

Have you attempted to connect to the LCD using the same DVI-VGA adapter? This might tell you if the LCD is able to convert an analog signal back to digital. The fact that you can see video on a CRT tells you that the signal is at least getting to the LCD monitor. You may also try setting the video adapter to a low resolution (native VGA) 800x600 while connected to the CRT, and then reconnect to the LCD to see if the LCD can display at a lower resolution in Digital.

I don't know why, but possibly a different DVI cable? I'm just trying to think of troubleshooting steps.

BTW: Your monitor has a 3 year parts/labor manufacturer limited warranty

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandypx View Post
One thing that seems to be obvious is that the DVI digital output doesn't seem to be working... either the Video Card or LCD. Using the DVI-VGA adapter is not the same as DVI-D to DVI-D. All video cards initially produce a digital video signal, which is converted into analog at the output, when a non digital display is connected. The analog signal travels to the monitor and is re-converted back into a digital signal in the LCD monitor. So your Video card is actually doing this conversion, or the VGA wouldn't work. A DVI-I (DVI-Integrated) connection can be either digital or analog, (DVI-A [DVI-Analog] or DVI-D [DVI-Digital]).

Have you attempted to connect to the LCD using the same DVI-VGA adapter? This might tell you if the LCD is able to convert an analog signal back to digital. The fact that you can see video on a CRT tells you that the signal is at least getting to the LCD monitor. You may also try setting the video adapter to a low resolution (native VGA) 800x600 while connected to the CRT, and then reconnect to the LCD to see if the LCD can display at a lower resolution in Digital.

I don't know why, but possibly a different DVI cable? I'm just trying to think of troubleshooting steps.
Wow.. thanks
, now I know my monitor is still working. Couldn't test it out at first but just found my other VGA wire (the VGA wire for the CRT is not removable). +REP

Now the problem resides with the 8800GTX or Motherboard.

Edit: HERE is a link to what my screen looks like during boot. It also does something similar when going 16Bit in Windows 7 (32bit looks great).

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow_UGZ
View Post

Wow.. thanks
, now I know my monitor is still working. Couldn't test it out at first but just found my another VGA wire (the VGA wire for the CRT is not removable). +REP

Now the problem resides with the 8800GTX or Motherboard.

Not necessarily... The DVI-D Input at the monitor could still be bad, or the circuitry in the LCD for the DVI-D input. The DVI connection on your monitor is strictly DVI-D, and won't accept an analog signal. Again, to repeat what I posted above, because the video card initially works in digital, and then coverts to analog, I would personally lean to a problem with the monitor. The only way to be sure, would be to hook up a different Display that also has only a DVI-D (Not DVI-I) input.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandypx
View Post

Not necessarily... The DVI-D Input at the monitor could still be bad, or the circuitry in the LCD for the DVI-D input. The DVI connection on your monitor is strictly DVI-D, and won't accept an analog signal. Again, to repeat what I posted above, because the video card initially works in digital, and then coverts to analog, I would personally lean to a problem with the monitor. The only way to be sure, would be to hook up a different Display that also has only a DVI-D (Not DVI-I) input.

Yes I know my monitor could still have a problem with DVI but I think the 8800GTX is damaged at this point since most symptoms I am having point to it and it is possible that the 8800GTX is not able to output digital correctly which is why the screen won't work on digital

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out the problem is my graphics card. Tested it on another PC and it had exactly the same problems.

Now my question is, can I fix it? What part of the chip could have been damaged receive the symptoms I have? (still displays although can't be used) Ex: blow capacitors or VRM

Another thing I can't really find is if it had 1, 2, or 3 years warranty since it is different everywhere I look. It was bought 18 months ago so maybe MSI changed the warranty sometime during that time frame. I would be so happy if it could be returned to the retailer or RMA'd. I guess I'll have to see that on Friday when I see the retailer.

Edit: Seems MSI will accept RMAs for out of warranty products for 60CAD + one way shipping. Not sure if it would really be worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts