Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Core i5's have been highly anticipated for quite some time. Now, some new details have emerged, revealing Intel's processor launch plans for the following months.

September will see the debut of the Core i5's mainstream Nehalem processors, as well as some new Core i7's.

Core i5-750 will run at 2.66 GHz, and with its auto-overclocking ability, it can be pushed to 3.2 GHz when applications demand so and as long as it won't overheat the processor. The 750 will support DDR3 memory running up to 1333 MHz. Additionally, it'll contain 8MB of L3 cache, like all Nehalems. The 750 will also support virtualization, but only as far as aiding virtual machines - Intel's VT-x technology.

The new i7-860 and i7-870 will be clocked at 2.8 GHz and 2.93 GHz respectively, though they can overclock to 3.46 GHz and 3.60 GHz. Both will also use hyperthreading to double the logical core to 8. Additionally, the new i7's will support VT-d, an extension of Intel's virtualization that will give virtual machines direct access to the host's I/O subsystem.

All three processors will have a power envelope of 95W. They'll go on sale on September 6, with Core i5-750, Core i7-860, and Core i7-870 costing $196, $284, and $562 respectively.

The rest of the Core i5 family will debut in Q1 2010.

Source

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chemicalfan
View Post

This is good news - I'm very interested in the i7-860, but will it go into the 1156 mobo, or is the current i7 mobo?

Nope, all 3 would need P55 (S 1156) mobo

Unless they OC better than i7 920, i don't see much point in them. For me extra 100$ in mobo cost are very well worth 3 channel memory and 2 x16 PCI-E slots.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmreeves
View Post

Now do I upgrade immediately or wait for 6 months to let prices drop?

By Christmas time, that i5 processor should hit a price of ~$150 imo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.