Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:


The latest instalment in THQ's real-time strategy series Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War has topped the PC charts in six key markets around the world.

The Relic-developed title hit the number one spot in the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain and Australia, according to data compiled by NPD, GfK and GfK Chart-Track.

"We have built Dawn of War into a premier PC gaming franchise based on the Warhammer 40,000 universe," said Brian Farrell, THQ president and CEO. "We are pleased with consumers' strong response to Dawn of War II across many of our key markets and believe the game's success clearly demonstrates our primary objective of delivering high quality games with strong global appeal.

"Warhammer 40,000 is a rich and growing universe and we look forward to expanding our offerings based on this brand in the future."

The title, set in Games Workshop's dark-future universe, is a key strut in THQ's product line-up, which it will hope can help them recover from a tough financial situation.

The company previously announced that it plans to cut 600 jobs, axing the Zurich-based International office in the process, in a bid to secure its future.

Yesterday the company's share price plummeted by 10 per cent to USD 2.33.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ational-charts
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunder12 View Post
how come its share price plummeted if sales are good? :S

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz View Post
THQ isn't doing so good.
Because all company stocks are plummeting. My company's share price was about $15 a little over a year ago. Now it's floating between $3.50 and $4.
 

·
Power Squid
Joined
·
9,613 Posts
I wasn't too happy to find out that this game uses Steamworks DRM, which basically means you must use Steam to play it. On the brightside at least Steam is better than SecuROM, so I at least it's the lesser of the two evils. However, I'm disappointed that Windows Live was integrated into the game as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,819 Posts
The Gameplay on this new game is so SLOW and boring, it not even close as fun as DoW I
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Danker16
View Post

The Gameplay on this new game is so SLOW and boring, it not even close as fun as DoW I

Slow? Boring? Have you played it?


Let me guess, you played it in beta and bought it in release. And now you are just venting some steam?

It's not the messiah, but it is a good game. I only wish the scale was a bit bigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by t4ct1c47
View Post

I wasn't too happy to find out that this game uses Steamworks DRM, which basically means you must use Steam to play it. On the brightside at least Steam is better than SecuROM, so I at least it's the lesser of the two evils. However, I'm disappointed that Windows Live was integrated into the game as well.

lolwut?

The fact that i can get XBL achievement points for playing a PC game was one of my favorite aspects of this game.

And anyone who doesn't have steam already isn't a real PC gamer.


I for one hope to god almighty that every future game comes out with both Steam AND Games for Windows Live support.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by /b/tard
View Post

I for one hope to god almighty that every future game comes out with both Steam AND Games for Windows Live support.

Me too.
 

·
Old Fartero
Joined
·
777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t4ct1c47 View Post
I wasn't too happy to find out that this game uses Steamworks DRM, which basically means you must use Steam to play it. On the brightside at least Steam is better than SecuROM, so I at least it's the lesser of the two evils. However, I'm disappointed that Windows Live was integrated into the game as well.
I disagree, Steam has been far more of a pain for me than SecuROM.

Everyone seems to think steam solves all problems, hardly. It's a bloated ugly pile that uses way more resources than it has any right to.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Arkanor
View Post

I disagree, Steam has been far more of a pain for me than SecuROM.

Everyone seems to think steam solves all problems, hardly. It's a bloated ugly pile that uses way more resources than it has any right to.

Uhh Steam uses 5mb of RAM on my computer, and after idling for 36+ hours, has only 53 seconds of my CPU time (0.00041%).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkanor View Post
I disagree, Steam has been far more of a pain for me than SecuROM.

Everyone seems to think steam solves all problems, hardly. It's a bloated ugly pile that uses way more resources than it has any right to.
0.o steam, problem? steam using to much in the way of resources? 0.o

did you actually have the pc turned on when you noticed this?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz View Post
Me too.
I don't. For a start off, I don't like the layout/how Games for Windows Live operates, plus I don't really want a Valve monopoly, because once they're guaranteed money, they will no longer give a damn about us, their fanbase.
 

·
Braindead
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
Valve are already guaranteed money, and everyone here knows it.

I can't get enough of this game, though i'll admit, it's lathered in a rich, tasty, unique gaming sauce, that only some will love, few will like, and many may hate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
I think relic took DOW far too close and snuggly with Company of Heroes in DOW2.

Dawn of War is a game any noob can play and win. Company of Heroes is a game requiring thought. The Dawn of War series are fun games, where you can unit spam to your hearts content. COH style gameplay is incompatible with DOW.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,098 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SharkFin
View Post

I think relic took DOW far too close and snuggly with Company of Heroes in DOW2.

Dawn of War is a game any noob can play and win. Company of Heroes is a game requiring thought. The Dawn of War series are fun games, where you can unit spam to your hearts content. COH style gameplay is incompatible with DOW.

Misinformed or terrible judgment? Spam in dark crusade and I will steamroll over you so bad I'd have to censor the screenshots.


I like COH and DOW and DOWII for what it's worth.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Danker16
View Post

The Gameplay on this new game is so SLOW and boring, it not even close as fun as DoW I

DOWII is anything BUT slow and sloppy. It's actually much much much faster than DOW. It's funny how people who haven't played the game think they have the right to publicly judge it anyway they feel like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
My problem with steam is the fact that you have to be logged in to be able to activate/play certain games.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top