Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Rockstar's exclusive GTA IV content for Xbox 360 â€" The Lost and the Damned â€" has sold one million so far, and is likely to reach two million downloads by the end of the year.

That's according to analyst Michael Pachter, who said the second GTA IV episode for Xbox 360 is likely to arrive by November following the close of the company's October 31 fiscal year.

Pachter also believes that the next console instalment of the series will be released by the end of 2010 â€" and generate profits of over 50 per cent more than last year's GTA IV.

By 2010 the installed base of home consoles is expected to be around 60 million in the US and Europe, and as many as 30 per cent of users could pick up the game.

This compares to GTA IV sales of 12 million units, or 40 per cent of the 30 million PS3 and Xbox 360 users, when it was released in April 2008.

"We don’t think it is reasonable to estimate that sales of GTA will double the prior version, but we think that a 25 â€" 30 per cent penetration is reasonable, suggesting 15 â€" 18 million units sold," said Pachter.

"That means that Take-Two’s profits from the next iteration should be approximately 50 per cent greater than from the last version."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...2m-by-year-end

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Microsoft owns both Episodes of GTA4 that will be out, if you remember they bought both of them and their exclusivity for $50 million. Well since they earn 100% profit off of them, and at $20 a pop, they're going to make an estimated $40 million just off the first Episode by the end of 2010. Looks like buying exclusive content for ultra popular games like the GTA series is a smart move. They're going to be making lot and lots of easy money in the next few years, since each Episode looks like it'll easily pull in $50 million. Ka-Ching Ka-Ching Ka-Ching.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz
View Post

Microsoft owns both Episodes of GTA4 that will be out, if you remember they bought both of them and their exclusivity for $50 million. Well since they earn 100% profit off of them, and at $20 a pop, they're going to make an estimated $40 million just off the first Episode by the end of 2010. Looks like buying exclusive content for ultra popular games like the GTA series is a smart move. They're going to be making lot and lots of easy money in the next few years, since each Episode looks like it'll easily pull in $50 million. Ka-Ching Ka-Ching Ka-Ching.

It's not 100% profit.

Their earnings from it are probably closer to 10-15 million, not $40 million.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox
View Post

It's not 100% profit.

Their earnings from it are probably closer to 10-15 million, not $40 million.

Why? Who do they need to pay? Sure there's some advertising and download bandwidth bills, but this was a download-only product.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
No wonder developers are becoming console oriented....thats where you can actually make money.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz
View Post

For a start off, they only bought the first lot of units. Can't remember how many. Once a certain number are sold with Microsoft being the recipient of the profit, once it goes over that amount, Take2 will then start receiving money from the sales. Secondly, it's not a profit if they have already paid for it, in fact it's a loss until they get that money back. Even if they make $50 million, they will have a profit of $0.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torched-Geek
View Post

For a start off, they only bought the first lot of units. Can't remember how many. Once a certain number are sold with Microsoft being the recipient of the profit, once it goes over that amount, Take2 will then start receiving money from the sales. Secondly, it's not a profit if they have already paid for it, in fact it's a loss until they get that money back. Even if they make $50 million, they will have a profit of $0.

It's estimated profit. If one Ep brings in $40 million in 3 quarters, it's pretty safe to say between two Eps they'll be making big big money.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinnuke View Post
depends on development cost.
MS didn't develop it, they bought 2 already existing products for a flat rate of $50 million, and they've began selling the first product at $20 each, and will make an estimated $40 million by the end of 2010.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
i really wish this was on pc... still, someone somewhere was begginning to wonder if take two is a one trick pony with gta and i'm dstarting to agree with them

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
In my mind, this is yet another example of why Ps3's cell was a horrible decision. I'm quite sure what Take2 had on their hands as far as likelihood to sell. They also knew it'd be a pain in the rear and lots of extra development time to code for Ps3's for the DLC, so they allowed MS to buy the extra content, knowing that they never wanted to code the DLC for it in the first place.

IMO, that's how i see it.

BTW, I'm not trying to make this a xbox vs. Ps3 discussion. Don't bother flaming me cause I own only the Ps3 and my power level is over 9000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts