Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
According to a new survey by Microsoft, 75 per cent of UK parents believe videogames can be beneficial to children and their families.

The second annual Play Smart, Play Safe campaign also found that 61 per cent of parents agreed that games were a great social experience, 52 per cent feel videogames bring a family together, and 80 per cent see gaming as vital part of home entertainment.

73 per cent of parents are aware of parental controls, according to the study, an increase of 13 per cent on last year. 94 per cent of parents said they felt personally responsible for checking age ratings of the games their children play.

Although 47 per cent of children stated their parents are not vigilant enough when it comes to checking if games are appropriate for their age, 69 per cent of the children surveyed said they want their parents to be more pro-active in checking age ratings.

Children's awareness of parental controls on consoles is high â€" 96 per cent â€" while 92 per cent of those surveyed said they were aware of age ratings.

Online gaming is raising more concerns for parents, according to the survey. 42 per cent are worried that their children engage with users older than them online, but 95 per cent of children said they have not encountered anything that has left them worried or frightened while playing online.

A dedicated website on safe gaming would be welcomed by 45 per cent of parents, while 65 per cent said they would be willing to use a parent-child discussion forum to help establish rules around the house.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-of-videogames

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Interesting stuff here. I didn't think families were getting like this. I think this is a good thing too much negativity is associated with games.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
i'm glad to see:

"94 per cent of parents said they felt personally responsible for checking age ratings of the games their children play."

Responsible parents are always nice

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Quote:

69 per cent of the children surveyed said they want their parents to be more pro-active in checking age ratings.

i'm halfway on this because checking age ratings will bring down the amount of 5 year old's on XBL, but, i was mature enough to play m rated games when i was 12? and my parents were very strict on age ratings at that time.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
What took them so long to realize that Pong could have this effect?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Here are some keywords I'd like to point out:

Quote:

According to a survey by MICROSOFT

(Who by the way are heavily invested in the gaming industry.)

Will take this with a pinch of salt until they release their data forming this conclusion (which they won't).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Disraeli

There are 3 types of lies: Lies, Damn lies, and Statistics.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Well my parents never checked a rating for me, and i've always entered any gamestore and bought all I wanted, but as I grow up I'm sometimes concerned on what my children (if i have any some day) may play or watch on tv... so this is good stuff!

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voice View Post
Here are some keywords I'd like to point out:

(Who by the way are heavily invested in the gaming industry.)

Will take this with a pinch of salt until they release their data forming this conclusion (which they won't).
So according to your reasoning. All statistics that are held by a company in that particular industry are false based off of the fact that they support that particular industry?

That's like the nice stock market lady(her job is to watch the stock market and formulate opinions on it) on CNN saying the stock market fell 13% over time. She is automatically lying?

Or the statistic from Apple that said they own about 10% of the computer market is false because it comes from apple?

What about the guys who work in the statistic field? Being that their job depends on statistics and they are giving you a statistic, therefore their statistic is automatically wrong?

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeUbi View Post
Percent
Actually it was originally "per cent", cent means 100 if you remember, it is a quick way of saying "per one hundred". Like most popular enlish phrases, we just mashed it into one word. Like "every body" is now "everybody" and "some one" is now "someone". English owns!

per⋅cent   /pərˈsɛnt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [per-sent] Show IPA
-noun 1.Also called per centum. one one-hundredth part; 1/100 .2.percentage (defs. 1, 3). 3.British. stocks, bonds, etc., that bear an indicated rate of interest.
-adjective 4.figured or expressed on the basis of a rate or proportion per hundred (used in combination with a number in expressing rates of interest, proportions, etc.): to get three percent interest. Symbol: %

Also, per cent.

·
QA Engineer
3,016 Posts
Quote:
94 per cent of parents said they felt personally responsible for checking age ratings of the games their children play.
My parents let me play any video game (including M) as long as it doesnt change my behavior, which it hasnt.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
So according to your reasoning. All statistics that are held by a company in that particular industry are false based off of the fact that they support that particular industry?

That's like the nice stock market lady(her job is to watch the stock market and formulate opinions on it) on CNN saying the stock market fell 13% over time. She is automatically lying?

Or the statistic from Apple that said they own about 10% of the computer market is false because it comes from apple?

What about the guys who work in the statistic field? Being that their job depends on statistics and they are giving you a statistic, therefore their statistic is automatically wrong?
Did i say they were lying? Nope.

But I'll bet you £5 that they "massaged" their data in order to present a more favourable outcome. (Statistics are incredibly easy to manipulate.)

Do you believe everything you hear and see on TV? Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

My point stands because Microsoft have a vested interest in gaming, and they would want it to look like public opinion on video games is favourable. Therefore their data is likely to be subject to bias. I'd be more willing to believe this if it came from an independent source.

·
Old Fartero
777 Posts
Quote:

52 per cent feel videogames bring a family together

69 per cent of the children surveyed said they want their parents to be more pro-active in checking age ratings.

I lol'd

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone
View Post

of course, it gives the dad more time to neglect the wife and the wife more time to shop and get her nails done.

looks like the UK is finally settling into the American family way.

good show on microsofts part for putting some positive video game statistics out there, whether their real or not (which doesn't seem to be much of a issue nowadays).

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voice View Post
Did i say they were lying? Nope.

But I'll bet you £5 that they "massaged" their data in order to present a more favourable outcome. (Statistics are incredibly easy to manipulate.)

Do you believe everything you hear and see on TV? Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

My point stands because Microsoft have a vested interest in gaming, and they would want it to look like public opinion on video games is favourable. Therefore their data is likely to be subject to bias. I'd be more willing to believe this if it came from an independent source.
Ummm you had this quote in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Disraeli
There are 3 types of lies: Lies, Damn lies, and Statistics.
By putting this quote the way you did to back up the point you were making, you essentially said that you believe they are lies.

Also before stating statistics are false, can you at least prove that they are indeed false?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts