Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Microsoft mouthpiece Aaron Greenberg has taken another opportunity to attack Sony's PlayStation 3 business, suggesting the console is "haemorrhaging" at retail.

Speaking to Gamasutra, Greenberg said that PlayStation 2 owners are graduating to the Xbox 360 rather than adopting the new PlayStation 3.

"You can't underestimate that we're half the price of the PS3 at a time when consumers were looking for great value," said Greenberg following the latest NPD sales results for February.

"The PS3 was down in February two per cent even with the launch of Killzone 2 - that's months of year-over-year declines," he claimed. "Xbox continues to head north while the PS3 is heading south. We're gaining share."

"What we're finding in our research is that a large portion of the volume we're driving with Xbox 360 purchasers is actually PS2 owners choosing Xbox for the next generation. We're switching people from the PlayStation brand over to the Xbox brand."

Part of the attraction, says Greenberg, is the migration of franchises previously associated with Sony to Microsoft's format.

"Not only is [Resident Evil 5] selling more, but we did a limited edition Elite bundle with that as well - so we've obviously benefited from having this deep partnership with Capcom, and we're excited to have the Resident Evil franchise for the first time ever on our platform.

"That follows in the steps of Grand Theft Auto - and we all know Final Fantasy is coming - that have been historically associated with PlayStation."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-heading-south
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
I hate this Greenberg, it seems like he's always letting his mouth go. Where was this bashing when Playstation outsold the Xbox. It seems like he only mouths when he doesn't have anything else to say.

Don't talk about the negatives of Playstation, how bout talking about the new games that Xbox and their gamers deserve since it looks kinda bleek compared to their Playstation counterparts.

Oh that Killzone 2 not selling any PS3 wait until the March NPD numbers and see if the sales spike up since Killzone came out on the last 2 days of Feb. You can't expect for sales to jump in just 1 day. And that Final Fantasy comment, I highly doubt that 360 fans will buy it since they mostly like FPS/TPS shooters like Halo/COD/Gears.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by S2kphile
View Post

I hate this Greenberg, it seems like he's always letting his mouth go. Where was this bashing when Playstation outsold the Xbox. It seems like he only mouths when he doesn't have anything else to say.

Don't talk about the negatives of Playstation, how bout talking about the new games that Xbox and their gamers deserve since it looks kinda bleek compared to their Playstation counterparts.

Oh that Killzone 2 not selling any PS3 wait until the March NPD numbers and see if the sales spike up since Killzone came out on the last 2 days of Feb. You can't expect for sales to jump in just 1 day. And that Final Fantasy comment, I highly doubt that 360 fans will buy it since they mostly like FPS/TPS shooters like Halo/COD/Gears.

Come on he's not dissing the PS3 that much. Considering it is his job and that Sony and the PS3 are not giving much to disprove what he is saying. He didn't say Killzone 2 wasn't selling any consoles he said that it wasn't having that big of an impact compared to other games such as Halo or Gears.

Having said that I must say that I still need to buy Killzone 2 and I am looking forward to White Knight Chronicles for the PS3.

EDIT: Why would you say that 360 owners would not buy Final Fantasy? The 360 is practicaly the only system with any kind of RPG collection on it. Think Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4. They wouldn't be on the 360 if no one would buy them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by S2kphile
View Post

I hate this Greenberg, it seems like he's always letting his mouth go. Where was this bashing when Playstation outsold the Xbox. It seems like he only mouths when he doesn't have anything else to say.

He didn't have enough time to issue a reply before the 360 overtook the PS3 again?

Quote:


Don't talk about the negatives of Playstation, how bout talking about the new games that Xbox and their gamers deserve since it looks kinda bleek compared to their Playstation counterparts.

Half of his post is about new games, namely games that aren't Playstation exclusive anymore.

Quote:


Oh that Killzone 2 not selling any PS3 wait until the March NPD numbers and see if the sales spike up since Killzone came out on the last 2 days of Feb. You can't expect for sales to jump in just 1 day.

True, I'm sure Killzone 2 will increase March sales, but I'm sure the 360 will be back on top again in April.

Quote:


And that Final Fantasy comment, I highly doubt that 360 fans will buy it since they mostly like FPS/TPS shooters like Halo/COD/Gears.

QQ Sony fanboy. There are lots of RPG fans with 360s, Greenberg even mentions some of them when he talks about all of the PS2 owners that have been switching to the 360, and lets not forget what this will do in Japan. Why pay $400 to play FFXIII when you can get away with paying $200? Even lesser titles like Tales of Vesperia skyrocketed 360 sales in Japan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
wow, so much sony butthurt in this thread. It's just news for god's sake. Sony isnt top dog in sales like it was with the ps2 anymore. big deal. Dont have to cry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Do you know i've had my 60gb playstation 3 from launch and never had a problem with it.........however my son has had his xbox 360 a little longer......BUT.....it's been sent back to microsoft for a new motherboard, new dvd drive, a new power pack, another new motherboard the last time i sent it back and still when he turns it on he has three red lights and has to reset it!!
I could understand if it was thrown about his bedrrom but it's sat on a shelf below his tv, it's got plenty of breathing space.

I know i'm not the only person who has had several problems with their Xbox and i won't be last. But still the the forever slated Playstaion 3 sits there in all it's glory, still with it's original intenals.

Surely thats costing microsoft an awful lot of money!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Opeth07
View Post

QQ Sony fanboy. There are lots of RPG fans with 360s, Greenberg even mentions some of them when he talks about all of the PS2 owners that have been switching to the 360, and lets not forget what this will do in Japan. Why pay $400 to play FFXIII when you can get away with paying $200? Even lesser titles like Tales of Vesperia skyrocketed 360 sales in Japan.

Again ain't no fanboy. I just go where the games are. You gotta remember people in Japan love their RPGs and will go to the console that has them. One thing you forget the reason why the 360 skyrockets in sales in Japan is because their the ONLY ones with RPGs meaning they have some type of exclusivity to them. If those RPGs were released on both consoles you'll know who'll sell more thats a fact because Japanese people don't like or hate any type of American Product unless it's entertainment like Music/Movies etc.

And yes it is common sense to play the same game on a console thats cheaper and its all right. Just pick up the game for whichever console you own whether it be the PS3 or 360.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

QQ Sony fanboy. There are lots of RPG fans with 360s, Greenberg even mentions some of them when he talks about all of the PS2 owners that have been switching to the 360, and lets not forget what this will do in Japan. Why pay $400 to play FFXIII when you can get away with paying $200? Even lesser titles like Tales of Vesperia skyrocketed 360 sales in Japan.

Yup. 360 is definitely the #1 RPG console this generation, which is surprising since it's an American console.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kuntz
View Post

Yup. 360 is definitely the #1 RPG console this generation, which is surprising since it's an American console.

That is true but let me edit that statement

Yup. 360 is definitely the #1 RPG console this generation so far, which is surprising since it's an American console.

It's easy to be #1 for RPGs when your paying for exclusivity (which Microsoft is good at). But yes you are right it's surprising that an american console has the RPGs this generation. (no sarcasm but truth).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,340 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kuntz
View Post

Yup. 360 is definitely the #1 RPG console this generation, which is surprising since it's an American console.

Which also explains why only ONE Xbox360 is sold for every THREE PS3s sold in JAPAN, right? Here are the FACTS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by OpTicaL
View Post

Which also explains why only ONE Xbox360 is sold for every THREE PS3s sold, right? Here are the FACTS.

Don't use VGchartz as they are highly inaccurate. They like to fluctuate/predict their numbers and 99% it usually don't come close to their predictions. NPD numbers are better but not 100% accurate since they don't use major retailers like Wal-mart and such and only counts NA region.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by OpTicaL
View Post

Which also explains why only ONE Xbox360 is sold for every THREE PS3s sold, right? Here are the FACTS.

In Japan maybe, but Japan is not longer the big market like it once was in the SNES/Genesis days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ezygroove
View Post

Do you know i've had my 60gb playstation 3 from launch and never had a problem with it.........however my son has had his xbox 360 a little longer......BUT.....it's been sent back to microsoft for a new motherboard, new dvd drive, a new power pack, another new motherboard the last time i sent it back and still when he turns it on he has three red lights and has to reset it!!
I could understand if it was thrown about his bedrrom but it's sat on a shelf below his tv, it's got plenty of breathing space.

I know i'm not the only person who has had several problems with their Xbox and i won't be last. But still the the forever slated Playstaion 3 sits there in all it's glory, still with it's original intenals.

Surely thats costing microsoft an awful lot of money!!

its probably the main reason I'm going sony next gen. Ironically, japan's market really isn't that big a deal anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kuntz
View Post

In Japan maybe, but Japan is not longer the big market like it once was in the SNES/Genesis days.

Agreed. The biggest market I believe is North America then Europe & Japan after, IIRC. But it doesn't matter since PS3 is holding its own in NA plus it has Japan on lockdown with Europe behind it also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Microsoft "Playstation stinks, nobody wants it."

Sony "Xbox stinks, nobody wants it."

Consumers "Shut up, you both stink."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL View Post
Which also explains why only ONE Xbox360 is sold for every THREE PS3s sold in JAPAN, right? Here are the FACTS.

yea, but there's also the fact that sales in japan are dismal at best. thats why so many japanese devs are trying to make "western" games. because, if it's not a DS it doesnt sell well in japan.


neither system is really that fantastic. Xbox has better online (if you disagree you're just delusional). PS3 has more graphical potential (but that potential is almost impossible to get, so it's very rare to show up in games).

I own both systems and barely touch them. My PS3 just folds & my 360 only gets used maybe 2 hours a week when there's nothing on TV & i'm taking a break from PC gaming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,081 Posts
Microsoft is just doing the same thing Sony did in the previous generation. At least Microsoft admitted to being behind and their excuse was because Sony had a year start. So now Microsoft has a year start and they are selling more obviously. The thing is Sony is losing a lot of exclusives they had such as GTA now RE and soon most likely Final Fantasy is going to be on Xbox 360. Pretty much every time a game is on both the 360 and PS3 the 360 version sells way more.

As far the the RROD and other problems I bought a 360 at launch and it lasted me for 3 years until 2008 I got the RROD and they replaced it for free. Now as for my PS3 I bought a 60Gb version in the same place and conditions as my 360 and it lasted about 2 years and Sony wouldn't replace it. So I was stuck with a broken PS3.
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Quote:
QQ Sony fanboy.
That was pretty wrong of you. Just because he made a comment against the Xbox, doesn't mean he's a Sony fanboy. For all you know, he could be either a completely nutural status just simply commenting on the discussion or for example's purposes - be a 110% Nintendo fanboy to the core. Just because, god forbid, someone makes a negative comment about the Xbox doesn't mean he or she is a fanboy of anything for that matter.

Quote:
Microsoft "Playstation stinks, nobody wants it."

Sony "Xbox stinks, nobody wants it."

Consumers "Shut up, you both stink."
Pretty much...

Aside from the above...
There is no denying that the Playstation has already gone south, down down down compared to the last generation.

But - just because they do bad once, doesn't mean they are down and out. More specifically, just because the PS3 sold bad doesn't mean Sony is going to just magically stop Playstation. Some people to this day believe that Sony either won't be doing Playstation 4 or that it will be absolutely atrocious.
Thats like saying, ok - well the Xbox 1 performed horrid last generation, did that mean Microsoft did not try again? Obviously they went at it again. And look at what has happened.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
And that Final Fantasy comment, I highly doubt that 360 fans will buy it since they mostly like FPS/TPS shooters like Halo/COD/Gears.
Fail. I own a 360 and not a PS3, and I'm certainly not spending $400 to play FF13. I will however buy if for my 360. Square-Enix making FF games for the 360 was a great decision on their part.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top