Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Acclaim boss David Perry has said that the used-game business has become a "virus", as retailers such as Toys R Us and Amazon begin a push into the lucrative second-hand market.

He said that the industry doesn't stand up to the practice of used game sales, leaving retailers to take full advantage of publishers marketing and advertising investment.

"Now you've shown that the industry won't stand up to you, everyone else can copy this practice," he wrote on his website. "Let me go make you exclusive content, let me advertise to send buyers into your store, let me pay to put standees and posters everywhere, so you can sell them used games and stab our industry in the back."

Acclaim's digital distribution business sells directly to the consumer, with Perry stating the users spends USD 70 on average, and his business has "absolutely no interest in retail anymore."

Perry said that retailers expect publishers to co-promote software, but will prioritise used games rather than new releases, enabling them to make 100 per cent profit.

"I spoke to a senior guy from the EMA (Entertainment Merchants Association) and he told me that the game retailers are just making hay while the sun shines. They know they are doomed if they don't go digital," said Perry.

Sales of second hand games through services such as eBay aren't part of the same problem, said Perry, as eBay isn't a partner in the games business.

"The gamers however have the right to sell their games to anyone they like, or trade them.

"I have no issue with that aspect. I've bought plenty of rare games on eBay, and I have no problem with eBay, because we're not doing co-promotion with them. eBay are not our retail partners."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-digital-perry

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
I can totally see his point.

They spend hundreds on ad displays, signage, etc, and get a burst of sales, then the retailers continue to use those signs, and such that the publisher pays for, to sell their used games.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox
View Post

I can totally see his point.

They spend hundreds on ad displays, signage, etc, and get a burst of sales, then the retailers continue to use those signs, and such that the publisher pays for, to sell their used games.

Millions of dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
News flash... That's how most used markets work.

If games are only distributed digitally I'll most likely forgo playing/buying them entirely and spend my precious spare time in another manner. I also enjoy reading books, which is a far cheaper source of entertainment anyhow.

Now if they start offering digital distribution in conjunction with physical that's fine... However if they want to be taken seriously, they should incentivize the sales of digital over hard. Perhaps publishers could offer their own steam-like service with unlimited installs(same machine), no DRM and halve current new game prices($50 -> $25). That coupled without the hassle/annoyance of a physical disk in the drive might be enough to have me relinquish my box and the ability to recoup any potential loss(IE if I dislike a game).

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL View Post
Haven't you posted this before?
One article is mainly focused on Digital Distribution and the other article on Used Game Sales & Amazon.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL View Post
It's interesting how only GI is making a fuss about this and not other websites/news sources.
In what way do you find this interesting? I would be happy to see your full view on the subject!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post
However if they want to be taken seriously, they should incentivize the sales of digital over hard.
Wow, i just learned a new word. I've never heard anyone say "incentivize" before.

·
Registered
547 Posts
When I purchase a game I find the cheapest new copy I can get (I rarely buy used except on old games). I don't care where it is from. I have plenty of stores I can get games from or online stores. What if publishers said that they won't sell games to Gamestop if they continue selling used games. There are still plenty of places to buy new games. If you want used go to ebay or craigslist and probably get it cheaper. I don't see how that does anymore harm to the industry than Gamestop reselling games.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedvender View Post
I doubt that. Most americans go to the mall on the weekends because they have nothing better to do.
Really? I was unaware that there was a healthy economy in the US and the malls are flooded with people buying products. lol sorry but that is not true buddy.

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz View Post
One article is mainly focused on Digital Distribution and the other article on Used Game Sales & Amazon.com.
Then why is it titled, "Retail doomed if it doesn't go digital - Perry"? What does the title have anything to do with used games?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz View Post
In what way do you find this interesting? I would be happy to see your full view on the subject!
You have this individual, what's his name? David Perry, whoever the hell he is, ranting about Retail will meet absolute obsolescence if they do not go DD. I cannot find a single sentence in his crap ass article on WHY retail will go bust if they do not adopt DD. All the guy talks about is USED GAMES and how they leech off advertising dollars. What was the title again? Retail doomed if it doesn't go digital - Perry Then I click on a link which directs me to his site (DPerry.com) and guess what the title is? Used Game Nightmare! which was what the title should have been on GI, because in his whole article he doesn't mention a single word on how to push forward DD or how to get the big boys to notice and implement it.

He goes on saying he spoke to some senior level guy at EMA and can't even provide his name? It sounds more like he made that up to enforce his point of view and the only website dumb enough to listen to this guy is GI.

If you're a nobody like this guy David Perry and you go on making a statement as important as DD, least he can do is do some research and provide valid points/cause and effect to support his view, but all the guy does is rant and pulls :turd: out of his behind and calls it a day. The article on GI that :turd:face Perry made sounds more like he's bitter about used games than supporting DD.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
David Perry is hardly a nobody, and he has been ranting and raving about Used Game Sales hurting the industry for quite some time. Though it seems as of late someone told him if everything was DD, there's no more used game sales to hurt him. For the record, I think DD is awesome, but I also think David Perry is an idiot and is crying over spilt milk. Last time I checked, the used VHS Tape & DVD market wasn't hurting Hollywood.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Yeah!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts