Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Sony has ordered enough parts to make one million PlayStation 3 consoles in the third quarter of this year, according to reports from the Far East where the majority of the console's components are manufactured.

The figure is double the number made in the last three months, said The Telegraph, picking up on a story reported by DigiTimes. A fact that has prompted further speculation Sony is about to launch a cheaper, slimmer version of the PlayStation 3.

Some industry watchers predict Sony will make an announcement at this year's GamesCom event in Cologne, at which the company has confirmed it will hold a three-hour press conference.

The news follows the revelation PlayStation 3 manufacturing costs have dropped 70 per cent since the console was first launched - a figure confirmed by Sony Corp CEO and executive vice president Nobuyuki Oneda during an investor call late last week.

Earlier today, it was also noted online retailer Amazon has cut the price of the PlayStation 3 160GB bundle by USD 50 for its US consumers.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...op-speculation

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by denrocks2 View Post
Wait, did they order they order parts for the phat or slim?
I'm assuming for the Slim, since they are announcing it this month and hopefully releasing it soon there after.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyxix View Post
Bulky handhelds is a no no though.
It's my curse..

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
Kuntz, you've yet to post any "facts" accompanied by sources that you didn't try to slant towards your views. You've trolled every single PS3 thread in the last week just waiting for anyone to dare like the PS3 more than the 360 in your presence.

And Silent22. Yes, it was helpful. Considering the amount of times I was called a Sony fanboy in other threads (the culprit shall remain nameless, but very obvious) I figured it was ironic that I have no intentions of buying any time soon, price drop or not! My budget for electronics has been slashed, this year, due to me starting college and any I will be sparing will have to go on my PC!

·
Banned
308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxSilent22xX
View Post

Yea thats a real useful post.

On Topic: I bet it is for the Slim ps3 and if it retails for $299 im picking one up for sure.

EDIT: @ Kuntz Why cant you stay out of PS3 Threads your just gonna start a flame war and get this one closed Just like the others.

It is not other People Starting it, It's YOU And its because you Post your "facts" and "sources" it starts a war, because you own a ps3 Is no excuse. im done Im not Ruining this thread pm me if you have anything else to say.

Do not feed the fanboy please....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Only passively interested to see what it looks like. I already have a Ps3/sometimes 2-blu-ray player that spins up more movies than games because I like my PC better.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
They are fueling up for MAG, GT5 and MW2(even tho it's not a PS3 exclusive). Loving mine and my friend I got to buy one is loving his, even without MAG and GT5!

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
They have to get parts in the pipeline for the holiday season. So they are tooling up manufacturing to have enough on the shelves in November, no great conspiracy. Most companies sell the bulk of their products then.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Okay, lets think about this.

The original iphone was leaked a few months before it's release, so was the iPod Touch, iPhone 3G, iPod 2G, and iPhone 3GS.

The Xbox was leaked before release, so was the 360.

The PS2 was leaked, also the PS2 slim, so was the PS3.

Make sense? Every single major electronical device over the past 8 years or so has been leaked.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tufelhunden
View Post

They have to get parts in the pipeline for the holiday season. So they are tooling up manufacturing to have enough on the shelves in November, no great conspiracy. Most companies sell the bulk of their products then.

This, you win a star!

Quote:

Some industry watchers predict Sony will make an announcement at this year's GamesCom event in Cologne, at which the company has confirmed it will hold a three-hour press conference.

A 3 hour press conference.... my magic games-industry-divining-rods predict they might make an announcement there too.

Not much you can really say about this topic, Tufelhunden basically covered it. Think we're all predicting a price drop at some point before xmas at least too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I doubt they'll hit it, but if they hit the magical $299 mark I predict we'll see some very large sell figures. Chances are we'll probably see a much more realistic $349 though. I'm going to buy one if they ever hit ~300, which says alot for me since I rarely buy consoles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts