Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The UK government's Department of Health has launched an incredible attack on the videogames industry with an advertisement linking the playing of videogames to an "early death".

The poster, also backed by charities including The British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research and Diabetes UK, shows an image of a child sitting on the floor holding a PlayStation controller in one hand, accompanied by the slogan: "Risk an early death, just do nothing."

The Change4Life campaign, which also features a second, similar advertisement with another child about to eat a cake, is aimed at promoting physical exercise in children, but the clear and public connotations will be unwelcome, to say the least, to an industry working hard to overcome unfounded stereotypes.

The government's own Byron Review last year noted that there was no solid evidence to link obesity to videogames, while the high profile launch and subsequent stellar sales of Nintendo's Wii Fit points towards an increasing trend of more active videogames on offer.

A Sony spokesperson was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...to-early-death

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Wait?

One second they say video games are great for learning, hand/eye coord etc and now they say you will die?

Make up your mind

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why is it always a PlayStation controller in these news articles? The thumb/palm disease, this dont-be-fat UK ad, I swear either Sony is paying for this publicity or they're just really lucky.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
If you are stupid enough to play a console/any thing long enough to cause yourself injury than you fully deserve that injury and anything else that comes with it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
So, the article says that playing video games leads to obesity which leads to an early death. All they have said here is:

1) obesity will kill you (we knew this already)
2) if you are lazy, don't eat right, and happen to play video games you will become obese (we knew this already as well)

So, basically, they just wana put a bad spin on video games!

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Yawn. What next, watching Kingdom Hospital will cause you to think you are a psychic hypochondriac hell-bent on saving a little girl who long died in a nasty mill fire?

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Compare the "early death" video games may cause to the early deaths caused by alcohol and drugs....
Yup, I think I will stay home and play video games all weekend thank you very much.

Besides, as a PC gamer I'd like to see them try to say PC gaming is bad for you. Anything they say about PC gaming can be applied to working in an office environment as well.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm going to die when I'm thirty then, I guess.

• Rep+
Reactions: RoboGrassanoid

·
Power Squid
9,613 Posts
Guys, this poster is just one in an upcoming range of posters that are intended to help raise awareness on less healthy lifestyles. They're only supposed to get some cogs turning in the minds of people that actually do spend hours on end playing video games.

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t4ct1c47
View Post

They're only supposed to get some cogs turning in the minds of people that actually do spend hours on end playing video games.

Wait what? Sorry. I just started paying attention.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts