Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Capcom's Keiji Inafune has said that developing titles for the Xbox 360 was the only way the publisher could successfully break Western markets.

Although the publisher had tried to create more Westernised titles in the past, including Shadow of Rome and the critically panned Without Warning, it wasn't until the current generation that the publisher scored blockbuster hits.

"I think I can only get away with saying this now, but I really thought that the using the Xbox was only way to break into overseas markets, and I took that hypothesis all the way," said the acclaimed developer.

Capcom supported the Xbox 360 with two exclusive titles â€" Dead Rising and Lost Planet â€" both of which were early hits for the publisher on Microsoft's console.

"I think the success of these two titles was a major achievement for our company," added Inafune.

"That the Xbox 360 was such a big hit, and the products that we made for the overseas market were so well received was extraordinary."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...markets-capcom

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
kinda hard to believe since they have always been one of the major developers in the industry all the way through previous generations on both the playstation and the gamecube. the only way to easily describe it from what I see is that they practically led on the gamcube last time. Since the wii took a new direction they used the 360 as their base platform. It just so happens that it brought them into the western market. But lets face it they were already well in it. Their recent success may owe a certain amount to the 360 with the listed titles in the article yet there are still franchises such as resident evil that are either yet to make or about to make their first appearance on the 360. So its safe to say their biggest audience is still on the playstation in terms of previous installments. And the playstation has always been a big part of the western gaming market. So what they're basically saying here is that the 360 is their new gamecube. Hence their excuse for no support for nintendo. Capcom themselves have become a much more western gaming developer since the next-generation began. Being strong on the 360 only proves that.

More and more we're seeing developers such as capcom. Who in the past have always had certain loyalties towards individual platforms. Branching out and being a multi-platform developer. The way I see it, its better this way. They led on the PSX. Then they led on the gamecube. Yet this generation they are mostly even between the 360 and PS3. We won't be seeing any more platform-exclusive titles as lost planet 2 will release on both platforms. More people can play their games this way. And more money for them in turn means more games for us. Safe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts