Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Gigabit PCIEx 1 card for cheap. PM me with offers.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
You can get DUAL 1GbE NICs on eBay for $12.
smile.gif

Just search for "HP NC380T".

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thread edit, it's a PCI-Ex 1 I need.
Thanks for the tip Duckie but I listed the wrong port. so that card wont work.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAslanX View Post

Thread edit, it's a PCI-Ex 1 I need.
Thanks for the tip Duckie but I listed the wrong port. so that card wont work.
You mean a x1 PCIe card? In that case, search for the "BCM5722" or "J5P32".

For NICs and RAID controllers, you can't beat high volume server pulls.

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While those do look appealing, I was hoping someone had some spare ones laying around and I could offer up a few bucks for shipping. Lowest price I'm seeing for those is $13.99 and up, and for that price I might as well pay shipping to RMA the board with the bad Ethernet port.

·
Registered
257 Posts
FYI you can usually use x4 cards in x1 slot, you just have to cut the back of the slot out so the longer card slides in the shorter slot or some come that way form the factory if you look closely

Duckie, are these HP NC380T what you call 'teamable' dual nics? Link aggregation or w/e? I'v been looking at a dual LAN mini-ITX board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128598
for a PFSense build, but maybe I should pay no mind to dual -LAN (realtek at that) and go with this kind of PCI-E nic if they can be had so cheap? What would you recommend?

BTW sorry to thread jack:eek:

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

While those do look appealing, I was hoping someone had some spare ones laying around and I could offer up a few bucks for shipping. Lowest price I'm seeing for those is $13.99 and up, and for that price I might as well pay shipping to RMA the board with the bad Ethernet port.
Yeah, but these NICs would be an upgrade to the Realtek junk they use on your mobo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOD35 View Post

FYI you can usually use x4 cards in x1 slot, you just have to cut the back of the slot out so the longer card slides in the shorter slot or some come that way form the factory if you look closely

Duckie, are these HP NC380T what you call 'teamable' dual nics? Link aggregation or w/e? I'v been looking at a dual LAN mini-ITX board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128598
for a PFSense build, but maybe I should pay no mind to dual -LAN (realtek at that) and go with this kind of PCI-E nic if they can be had so cheap? What would you recommend?

BTW sorry to thread jack:eek:
Yes, these support teaming but you need a managed switch to support it.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Quote:

Yeah, but these NICs would be an upgrade to the Realtek junk they use on your mobo.
That is an understatement. With my onboard NIC (which would occasionally freak out and have huge amounts of ping and randomly disconnect) I would MAYBE be lucky to get 8MB/s and about 80MB/s over my network. With my new NIC, I am getting ~13MB/s download rates (full 100MB/s transfer speed over my network). I no longer have disconnecting issues and my ping is rock steady during games where I would have ping spikes before. Card cost me 30 bucks including shipping. Gotta love Intel NICs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:

Yes, these support teaming but you need a managed switch to support it.
Good to know, but after thinking, I don't have a NAS (yet) and even if I did I would most likely only be transferring or streaming 1 large file at a time. 2 x 1GbE isn't as useful as 1 x 2GbE. Too bad you can't RAID 0 GbE lol. So I would probably just use 1 for WAN and one for LAN for the sake of avoiding onboard ethernet altogether. $13 even $19 is still cheaper than the non-teaming dual GbE NICs on Newegg and it's nice to know they're capable of teaming in case you're in a house where 2 or more people may be transferring large files from NAS.... or Firewall-As-NAS, as the case may be lol:thumb:

I''d like them to come out with some mini-ITX mobos with Atom CPU's that support virtualization, like the Z530, or some multi-PCI-E slot Celeron 847 boards w/ USB 3.0 would be nice, too.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOD35 View Post

Good to know, but after thinking, I don't have a NAS (yet) and even if I did I would most likely only be transferring or streaming 1 large file at a time. 2 x 1GbE isn't as useful as 1 x 2GbE. Too bad you can't RAID 0 GbE lol. So I would probably just use 1 for WAN and one for LAN for the sake of avoiding onboard ethernet altogether. $13 even $19 is still cheaper than the non-teaming dual GbE NICs on Newegg and it's nice to know they're capable of teaming in case you're in a house where 2 or more people may be transferring large files from NAS.... or Firewall-As-NAS, as the case may be lol:thumb:

I''d like them to come out with some mini-ITX mobos with Atom CPU's that support virtualization, like the Z530, or some multi-PCI-E slot Celeron 847 boards w/ USB 3.0 would be nice, too.
There is no such thing as 2GbE. Teaming can be RAID0 of 1GbE. One mode takes XORs the packets across the 2-4 ports to give you higher bandwidth.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:

There is no such thing as 2GbE. Teaming can be RAID0 of 1GbE. One mode takes XORs the packets across the 2-4 ports to give you higher bandwidth.
Yeah I know it was just wishful thinking lol, but I've just been reading about XOR

XOR (balance-xor)
"This selects the same NIC slave for each destination MAC address."

So you would need 2 NICs on client and server but

" The standard specifies that conversations shouldn't be "Fragmented" across interfaces though, so for a given stream it will keep the entire stream on one NIC rather than juggling packets between both interfaces."

so this seems you'd need 2 streams to take advantage of XOR..... But "shouldn't" fragment streams between interfaces doesn't mean you "can't"....?

Adaptive transmit load balancing (balance-tlb)
Linux bonding driver mode that does not require any special network switch support.

This sounds cool. Does this man with enough ethernet ports, I could have a linux firewall and managed switch (and NAS) in one? Have two dual GbE cards for example, one for WAN + LAN, and the other for XOR with 2 cat5e ran to a third dual GbE NIC in my monster PC. Then satellite PC's and devices connect to a GbE DD-wrt router and with single cat5e ran wherever else LAN is needed

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going to go ahead and close this classified as I have determined that it is a bad Ethernet cable after further investigation that was causing the issue and I no longer need a card.

Excellent information in this thread, will take note of it for future reference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts