Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I'm new to the overclocking world. Long story short, I have an old-ish system and not enough money to build a new one; so I resort to voiding warranties and playing with fire. Anyway I am running a 5 y/o system with a Gigabyte MA770DS3 rev. 1.0, BIOS version 8f.

I've managed to overclock my Phenom 9600, from 2.3 GHz, to 2.65 GHz by setting the core frequency to 231 MHz, and the vcore to +0.050v, and giving the control of the multiplier to the board, which which keeps it at 11.5 by default. I have put the system, under an 11 minute, a couple of 2 hour, and few 6 hour stability tests using AMD Overdrive, and it completed them with no errors or BSoDs.

I'm posting because of my board's annoying habit of often, and seemingly very randomly telling me that "POST error Occurs!" (gotta love the gigabyte bad translations). It tells me that its currently running in safe mode, and gives me options to boot anyway, adjust CMOS settings, boot with last known good configuration, load previous settings, etc. Invariably, it returns the clock frequency to "auto" (200 Mhz), and leaves the voltage, at my settings.

As I said before, this is random. sometimes it boots with no problems, and other times (about half the time, maybe more. like I said. random) it freaks all the heck out. Also as mentioned above I've run the system through multiple stability tests, all of which pass with no problem, so I don't see any harm. Am I wrong? could BIOS see something that both I, and AMD Overdrive have missed? If not, is there any way to get this problem to stop? It's not terrible, but it IS REALLY annoying, and a major inconvenience. any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to be very thorough in my post, but please let me know if I've left out any information you need to help me out.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ugh, this is one of the strange problems Gigabyte motherboards seem to be plagued with. Random post errors with no rhyme or reason. If it's any constellation, even the 790 chipset motherboards were plagued with it.

It's probably the higher "FSB" which is causing the issue. If your processor is a black edition, try raising the multiplier and dropping the FSB, say down to 220-225. On my MA-790x-UD4P, the board won't POST consistently (most notably on a warm restart) with the FSB at anything higher than 237. Yeah, such a random and odd #.

Might want to check your RAM; what speed is it rated for, voltage and latency?

Also, for stability, I wouldn't put too much stock in AMD's overdrive. Yes, it's a great utility to allow on the fly overclocking changes, but as far as stability testing goes, I'd leave it to the pros.

Another thing of note: If you get into serious tinkering, which trust me, overclocking can become very addictive, then you might want to write down or make a nice table in excel with the changes that you make and the process you take to get there.

If you had tested all the FSB numbers up to 230, you'd probably have a better idea of where the problem is, but since the FSB/HTT increases everything from the HTL to the NB frequency, it's hard to pinpoint the exact issue.

Get a copy of Prime95, set it to blend test, and let it run. OCCT is another good one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your help, but alas it was for naught. shortly after posting, I dropped the FSB down, and (i believe) neglected to remember the voltage changes. I guess that excel spreadsheet would be a good idea. Needless to say, the board is no more. As my college prfessor would say, I've "let the smoke out". but all id not lost, I have found a new board to replace that one (an ASrock with the same chipset), and I'm building a new system (w/ the AMD 8150!
biggrin.gif
) as soon as my Tax Return comes in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts