Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own this board? because i can't seem to find it anywhere on this forum. This is not the FXT model.

I need some advice and guidance.
I want to know it's overclockability(it is now a word) and other good features.

Thanks for any help!

P.S Since there isn't a thread with this board, i thought i might help others. although this board is rather rare nowadays.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Yes I had the Original.

RAID 5 is not recommended for any Onboard RAID controller, the Onboard RAID controller did do well in RAID 0 with 3 x WD 320GB AAKS drives. But RAID 5 will cause intense CPU Overhead and bog your system down. If you are looking for Speed & Redundancy, I would try setting up a RAID 10 Array, which can be either 1 + 0 or 0+ 1. It will be less CPU overhead, not as much storage space, but faster overall.

Overclocking was smooth, it easily took my 7750BE to 3.4ghz like my current board, and my 9950 125watt to 3.3ghz as well.
My 945BE (ES chip) did 4.0ghz on it, but topped out around 250mhz HT clock. Was most likely the chip though.

Finally, Ron White is funny.

Also, if you have the budget, or availability, the Asus M4A79-Deluxe might be a better option of boards.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
everyone keeps telling me that RAID controllers onboard is not good. does it affect the overclocking? I just bought meself 3 750 blacks hoping to go for a RAID 5. darn it. i don't want to buy another one.

that's very good to know. I have my 940 that i need to do some testings on, but i might move on to the a 965 C2. since you can clock your 945 above 4, i have newfound confidence that i will too. thanks for your help.

I bought this board off another person. and that was cheap. i just needed to change the mobo, not the entire rig. even for future upgrades.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newdude
View Post

everyone keeps telling me that RAID controllers onboard is not good. does it affect the overclocking? I just bought meself 3 750 blacks hoping to go for a RAID 5. darn it. i don't want to buy another one.

that's very good to know. I have my 940 that i need to do some testings on, but i might move on to the a 965 C2. since you can clock your 945 above 4, i have newfound confidence that i will too. thanks for your help.

I bought this board off another person. and that was cheap. i just needed to change the mobo, not the entire rig. even for future upgrades.

RAID levels do not effect overclocking, but onboard RAID controllers do not have the cache, write back, or dedicated processor which is needed for RAID 5 to be effective.

With your 3 750GB Black's, you can put them into a RAID 0 array, 3 drives in RAID 0 is the peak of RAID 0 performance.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newdude
View Post

Hmmm... i really like the idea of RAID 0 but i want backup to come along with it. i have too much history in losing data. so... yeah

You might want to look around the for-sale section here, or on fleabay for a PERC 5/i or PERC 6/i RAID Controller.

They are the cheapest, and some of the best, RAID controllers around.

Usually the member here Borito4 sells them, so you might want to PM him to see when he'll have some new ones in stock.

I personally ran RAID 5 on the PERC 5/i, and then an 0+1 (still going) on my PERC 6/i

They are great cards, and for the price, unbeatable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts