Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm getting only 60fps on Skyrim, seems like i use to get more on my old 4890. 60FPS is fine expect it causes small stuttering when making sudden movements in the game, this is all on ultra at 1440p, tried 720p low settings also showing 60FPS, yes Vsync is off (in prefs.ini file)

I get over 200fps on MW3 but fps also drops so low that it causes stuttering. The display drivers also crashed when playing the game, i have 1100/1500 and furmark for 10 mins was ok with it.

Not sure if i should keep the card, seems like a big waste if games dont even run correctly.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
hum....I cant verify skyrim performance but the drivers crashing does seem odd. This might be what people say about amd drivers not always being good. Try different drivers. Possible the card is weak too. In skyrim you might even need to overclock the cpu to get more performace though, I have seen benchmarks where all cpu's do bad since its a poorly coded game or something.

First start with different drivers, if your not on the newest one from the sight try that. If you are go back one driver older. If both drivers crash on stock settings I would say its a defective gpu and get another one though. CPU bottleneck or not the driver shouldnt crash unless the gpu is failing after trying 2 different ones.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the stutter problem with my 7970 and running it in windowed mode fixes it. Many people have had this problem and it fixes it, not sure why.

Download simple borderless window http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4 and in the options enable windowed mode and set your native resolution. Simple borderless window will force it into fullscreen and this should completely fix your stutter problem.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66racer View Post

hum....I cant verify skyrim performance but the drivers crashing does seem odd. This might be what people say about amd drivers not always being good. Try different drivers. Possible the card is weak too. In skyrim you might even need to overclock the cpu to get more performace though, I have seen benchmarks where all cpu's do bad since its a poorly coded game or something.
First start with different drivers, if your not on the newest one from the sight try that. If you are go back one driver older. If both drivers crash on stock settings I would say its a defective gpu and get another one though. CPU bottleneck or not the driver shouldnt crash unless the gpu is failing after trying 2 different ones.
Good points, i've overclocked my cpu to 4.3ghz stress testing it now. However i dont see this fixing skyrim issue, but its something that i've had to do.

In 3dmark 2011 i'm getting about 8100 thats with 1070/1435. Anything over 1100 and display drivers crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcider View Post

I had the stutter problem with my 7970 and running it in windowed mode fixes it. Many people have had this problem and it fixes it, not sure why.
Download simple borderless window http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4 and in the options enable windowed mode and set your native resolution. Simple borderless window will force it into fullscreen and this should completely fix your stutter problem.
Sounds like a plan! Before you mentioned the fix, i was like, i'm not playing windowed mode. I'll try out the solution and the mod.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Bcider - I applied that mod, kind of fixes the problem. Now its at constant 60fps which is pretty good, except it still stutter but a lot less. However my display drivers crashed again 1100/1500. And it wasnt even on ultra settings, i had to tone it down very slightly to get at 60.

I am certain a 7970 especially a custom cooled one is capable of this!

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Like it has been said before this is one of the reasons people stray away from AMD cards - the driver problems. You may have to try several different drivers as that is likely the source of the problem.

Some other things you can try:
  • Try it with stock clocks and see if it's any different.
  • Download either MSI Afterburner beta or EVGA Precision X and use the built in FPS limiters they have, try limiting it at like 59 FPS and see if that fixes any stuttering.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66racer View Post

Have you added voltage to your overclock?
Yes I have now, at 1170mv 1130/1410 i've got it somewhat stable but at 100% fan speed temps around 85C

Its not that great..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts