Overclock.net banner

2801 - 2820 of 2842 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello guys, I have in mind to 'service' my 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G and planning to change thermal paste (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) and the thermal pads on VRMs, VRAM chips, etc. I was looking on information regarding the thickness of the pads (they seem to be thin around 1.0mm) but was thinking of putting something more thick as those factory 1.0mm seem in bad condition (stretched, kinda melted). So I am looking at 1.5mm. Any opinions?

One more thing, according to the manufacturer the card is reported to base clock/ boost in these configurations:
Boost: 1657 MHz / Base: 1544 MHz in OC mode
Boost: 1632 MHz / Base: 1518 MHz in Gaming mode

but when I benchmark the card, it runs locked at 1935 MHz. What am I missing?

PS - Just realized it's the official AORUS thread so apologies for this post

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello guys.

It's been a long time since I came here and I wanted to ask you a question.

I have a water sli of 1080ti xtreme edition oc 2 o'clock with bios 86.02.39.00.9E

Is there a better or newer bios? if I remember correctly this is the F3p

and then another thing, I only have 1 monitor set by display port. If I had to update the bios what file or method should I do? I remember there were two and you had to be very careful

·
Bearded guy.
4 Posts
Hello People,

Since I don't get which BIOS in which version, is which BIOS (F4 = F3P or something) and so on, I just ask you.
I use my card with display-port only. My monitors are ASUS PG279Q (WQHD, 144Hz, IPS) - both connected with display-port.

I've got the regular AORUS GTX 1080 Ti (non-xtreme) with the following BIOS/driver, etc.:

Release: Mar, 2nd, 2017
Revision: A1

BIOS: 86.02.39.00.9D
Dev-ID: 10DE 1B06 - 1458-3752

SO! I just ask if someone can answer me the following:
Is my BIOS the latest and/or "best" for this card?
Is there a newer/better BIOS for my card?
- If yes: is someone willing to tell me, which BIOS is better and how to install it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
248 Posts
@xSchizo
Your bios is the F3P, latest official, but some cards came out with a newer firmware, this is the link:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/203383/203383
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/204303/204303
This is latest bios for HDMI/Displayport connected monitors, and for DVI ones. You can identify them from the D and H in description.
You need to flash the correct bios to corresponding monitor you have connected.
Flash it at your own risk. I suggest to dump yours, and just in case something goes wrong, blind flash it.
@murenitu
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/203179/gigabyte-gtx1080ti-11264-180508
This is latest bios for you, no DVI version (i'm still looking for it if anyone has!), same reccomendations...

·
Bearded guy.
4 Posts
@xSchizo
Your bios is the F3P, latest official, but some cards came out with a newer firmware, this is the link:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/203383/203383
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/204303/204303
This is latest bios for HDMI/Displayport connected monitors, and for DVI ones. You can identify them from the D and H in description.
You need to flash the correct bios to corresponding monitor you have connected.
Flash it at your own risk. I suggest to dump yours, and just in case something goes wrong, blind flash it.

@murenitu
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/203179/gigabyte-gtx1080ti-11264-180508
This is latest bios for you, no DVI version (i'm still looking for it if anyone has!), same reccomendations...

Hello gpvecchi!

Thank you for the links - it worked like a charm! Thanks sir!

Have a good night and stay healthy! :)

·
Bearded guy.
4 Posts
Any improvements(temps, clocks etc) with the new bios ?`

Hello AA junkie,

I just asked for the BIOS help to get the "newer/better" one, since I read only good things about it, but I didn't found it, so far. Or I was blind.
I did not monitor any temps or stuff yet since it runs fine. But my subjective perception tells me that it does run better

Cheers!

·
Registered
248 Posts
IDK, anyway, if a company invests time and money on developing a new bios, this should have some improvement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
IDK, anyway, if a company invests time and money on developing a new bios, this should have some improvement.
You have a point there.
I have a normal(non extreme) Aorus 1080ti with 86.02.39.00.9D bios.
I have 0 issues with this card so far.
I would like to flash it with 86.02.39.40.5F but I am a bit skeptic to flash a vga that works perfectly.
Possible improvements could give me the little 'push' I need to take the decision.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just backup, you can flash your old bios. If someone wants to try, flash the Extreme bios on vanilla Aorus. This is an improvement for sure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If there's one thing I learned, is that for the 1080ti, BIOS doesn't really matter. There are some fine differences between them, but not something that makes a big difference.
With Aorus 1080ti it's even more annoying, because it has dual bios. So if you flash something on DP, and then let's say connect do a DVI monitor, the drivers re-configure themselves. This by itself can cause more issues than any benefit a bios flash might have (of course, DDU solves everything, but why bother?)

So to sum it up, I really don't recommend playing around with bioses.
BUT...
If you're in the "I got a beast card and I want to push it to its absolute limits, no % left behind" phase, which I've been in, then I suggest you flash the FTW3 Kingpin BIOS from the 1080ti bios thread. The reason is that it's a bios that deals better with power limits, you can put voltage at 1.093V and not worry about downclocking. I've tested it myself, and it works. I had 2088/6100 fully stable, no artifacts no crashes no power limits on the most harsh tests in the world, that consumed over 350W of power for extended durations, 4k and 8k resolutions, full VRAM load, etc.

That said, with stock bios I have 2076/6000 on lower voltage, so it doesn't power limit much, and 2050/6000 doesn't power limit at all. So all this bios work, one DP output disabled, etc... for just 38MHz... not worth.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If there's one thing I learned, is that for the 1080ti, BIOS doesn't really matter. There are some fine differences between them, but not something that makes a big difference.
With Aorus 1080ti it's even more annoying, because it has dual bios. So if you flash something on DP, and then let's say connect do a DVI monitor, the drivers re-configure themselves. This by itself can cause more issues than any benefit a bios flash might have (of course, DDU solves everything, but why bother?)

So to sum it up, I really don't recommend playing around with bioses.
BUT...
If you're in the "I got a beast card and I want to push it to its absolute limits, no % left behind" phase, which I've been in, then I suggest you flash the FTW3 Kingpin BIOS from the 1080ti bios thread. The reason is that it's a bios that deals better with power limits, you can put voltage at 1.093V and not worry about downclocking. I've tested it myself, and it works. I had 2088/6100 fully stable, no artifacts no crashes no power limits on the most harsh tests in the world, that consumed over 350W of power for extended durations, 4k and 8k resolutions, full VRAM load, etc.

That said, with stock bios I have 2076/6000 on lower voltage, so it doesn't power limit much, and 2050/6000 doesn't power limit at all. So all this bios work, one DP output disabled, etc... for just 38MHz... not worth.
Thanks for the info. I got the wb version bios 86.02.39.00.DC. I have it run stable at 2066 stock voltage. I was thinking to flash ftwkingpinfix to see how far i can push. But then i read yours and it seems like it's not worth the try for a few mhz and losing some ports.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Curious about stretching the legs of my 1080ti. I have the gigabyte aorus xtreme 11gb. So far with MSI AB, I can run 2000mhz core clock when I set the Core voltage, to 100%, power limit to 150% and Temp Limit to 90c. +0 on both core and memory. HWmonitor shows 1.094v vcore.

How sensitive is this card to heat?? during extended gaming sessions the core clock sits between 1976mhz and 2000mhz, and doesnt go much above 79c or so. I am considering replacing the TIM with MX4. worth doing?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Curious about stretching the legs of my 1080ti. I have the gigabyte aorus xtreme 11gb. So far with MSI AB, I can run 2000mhz core clock when I set the Core voltage, to 100%, power limit to 150% and Temp Limit to 90c. +0 on both core and memory. HWmonitor shows 1.094v vcore.

How sensitive is this card to heat?? during extended gaming sessions the core clock sits between 1976mhz and 2000mhz, and doesnt go much above 79c or so. I am considering replacing the TIM with MX4. worth doing?
2000MHz is default on this version.
The relation between temperature and clocks is not so simple. You lose 12MHz every 10c or so, but higher heat also induces more power limits which also cause the card to downclock.
Changing Thermal paste won't make your overclock better, but it might make your card more quiet (Temps would probably drop by 5c-10c if done right, since that paste is 3+ years old). The problem is, if you want to work right, you would probably want new thermal pads too. This card is also kinda a pain to disassemble with all the RGB connectors.
I think on air you could maybe do something like 2038/5800 stable. With water something like 2076-2100/6000-6200.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got 2x 1080Ti Aorus, one normal and one xtreme. Both are very close in terms of clock. There is no good way too boost the performace much higher. OC Scanner gave me about +30-50mhz (not really stable) and +400-500 on memory. Never used the shuntmod.

One of my 2070 was fun: needed 3 days to find a secret Bios to unlock the PL a little bit and about one week to find a waterblock outside of the public lists. In the end its all you can do: flash better bios, change to watercooling and use better thermal pads. OC Scanner gave me about +200 on clock and +1300mhz on memory. Its different from the 1080Ti. Much more potential.

Protipp number 1: the PT contains the leds on the card. Disable the leds and you get a few watts for the powerlimit.

Nice to know:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looking at the 1080ti fe memory trimpot mod the board layout is a bit different. Was wondering, anyone know where the gddr5x trimpot mod location is on this card?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just backup, you can flash your old bios. If someone wants to try, flash the Extreme bios on vanilla Aorus. This is an improvement for sure.

I am trying this now, running the Extreme bios on my Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti. Currently have everything else on default right now (no Afterburner tweaking at all yet).

Actually first time today updating GPU bios, I have never been playing with GPU bios before.

Used the guide here:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1627212-how-flash-different-bios-your-1080-ti.html

using nvflash64, first using the protectoff switch, then saving a backup and finally flashing the bios.

Reinstalled Nvidia drivers using DDU.

Only issue so far is Chrome was black when launching it which was fixable (finding an easy solution on youtube).

Tried some kind of benchmark for 1440p in MSI Kombustor. When running the old bios I scored 2404 points, running the new bios I scored 2464
https://gpuscore.top/msi/kombustor/show.php?id=349073

Now bios 86.02.39.40.5E
earlier 86.02.39.00.9D

Do you know if there are any major differences between Extreme and non Extreme bios for this card? The only thing I notice myself is base clocks for GPU Clock/Default Clock, Memory and Boost being slightly higher (small difference). Perhaps the only advantage running Extreme bios on the non Extreme is it will give you slightly higher speeds in default mode (very small difference)?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Meh, all the 3 cards share the same hardware, but Aorus and Extreme share same cooling, so you'll have no issues if your chip keeps the clock. WB has better cooling, so card can go too high on temps and crash.
Same for bios with removed power limit, useless on air.

2801 - 2820 of 2842 Posts