Overclock.net banner

2821 - 2840 of 2842 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Meh, all the 3 cards share the same hardware, but Aorus and Extreme share same cooling, so you'll have no issues if your chip keeps the clock. WB has better cooling, so card can go too high on temps and crash.
Same for bios with removed power limit, useless on air.
Thanks, testing some different voltage curves in Afterburner using the Extreme bios on my non Extreme vanilla 1080Ti card. I highly doubt there is a big difference, the biggest difference is probably slightly higher stock/default clocks on the Extreme bios (which is nice if not overclocking using Afterburner). If overclocking using Afterburner I doubt the Extreme bios giving higher performance comparing to to non Extreme bios on a non Extreme card.

Not sure yet if I will go for maximum performance or if I will try to optimizing a 1000 mV curve in Afterburner giving me slightly lower temps and perhaps a more stable fps. Did some quick tests yesterday and a 1000 mV curve giving me between 10200 - 10300 in Time Spy comparing to when going for maximum performance I reached between 10700-10800.

Yes, unfortunately I have air cooling too. Talking about GPUs then cooling with water helps a lot, that's for sure. Many users are using AIO for CPU but not for GPU, probably a mistake since water cooling the GPU would give many users a bigger total performance boost (at least for gaming) comparing to water cooling the CPU. Perhaps I will try cooling GPU with water in the future. Very nice being able to run the system more quiet and with higher performance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not 100% sure yet but I believe I am able to clock my memory slightly higher after flashing my vanilla Aorus 1080Ti non Extreme card with the Extreme bios. Don't think I managed stable settings +600MHz in Afterburner earlier but now I do. It doesn't have to be because of the Extreme bios, maybe the old bios (86.02.39.00.9D) I was running was slightly outdated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question for you all...card is not being detected. I inquired regarding an RMA and it looks like the card had been submitted before, stating "OXIDATION" -- I opened it up and took a look, didn't see anything related to it. Card is not detected anywhere in safe mode or standard. Am I SOL? Or is it possibly the coils/fans causing this?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not long ago I get Gigabyte Aorus (non Xtreme) 1080 TI. Last owner returned it to shop to get 2080 TI, so I get it with warranty of 6 months. Price was steal. For me it is a big upgrade and I intend to keep card for some time, it is enough for my needs at this moment anyway.

Flashed 86.02.39.40.5E (card had 86.02.39.00.9D). I did not pay attention to benchmarks so I do not know is score better at same clock. What I can state is next - VRAM get little overclock, and card boost more, but final overclock is same. With more agressive fan curve, I have 2050Mhz, or 2038 if card get hot past 60 and some C degree.

Because I intend to keep card for some time (definitely not going to rush to 3000 series until it matures, price drop/refresh get out or whatever), so I would like to do one more refresh to card - replace TIM and thermal pads. I already have Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut so that work would't be a problem. But what bugs me is thermal pads. I do not know which thickness I need. As I read posts from others there is different stock thickness thermal pads used in card.

Some manufacturers of thermal pads do not even have all thickness, just some of them. First I need to know which thickness I need (and which lenght, to not end up short), after that need to search and order every one of them, with whoever sells it with best conductivity pads.

Any suggestions about that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Possibly dying Aorus Xtreme 1080Ti

Hello Folks,

I have got a Aorus Xtreme 1080Ti which I had been using for couple of years now and it was running fine. I never overclocked it until a couple weeks ago where I used MSI Afterburner's OC scan feature and used the curve it gave me. Since this very day I started facing game crashes, they will crash either from few seconds in game to few minutes. I tried every possible solution that internet could throw at me.

1. I did clean install of various Nvidia drivers to rule out any driver related issues. (used DDU for clean install of drivers)
2. Tried same Gpu in two different systems (AMD and Intel CPU) just to rule out any specific behavior.
3. Tried using Aorus engine and Precision X1 in hope to reset OC profile, even choosing the the lowest possible frequency like 1621 Mhz on Gpu clock didn't help.
4. My Gpu had F3P BIOS (as per Aorus engine) or Nvidia BIOS version 86.02.39.00.9E. I tried re-flashing same BIOS but crashes remained. I flashed BIOS version 86.02.39.40.5E and crashes still there.

I have noticed that initially this crashing behavior was limited but with every passing day it is becoming more aggressive. I just want to understand if there is anything left that I could try to resolve my issue or shall I consider my Gpu as near dead and go for RMA.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,107 Posts
Did it behave THE SAME between each system? or was behavior only "similar"?

overclocking software has a bad habit of NOT liking to co-exist with other software.

My advice is to clean any and all software related to overclocking, BUT FIRST use the software to reset to default card settings. Reboot after removing software, even if it does not tell you to.

You made the right BIOS choice, per BIOS you had, and the F3P gigabyte offered. However, 1080 TI's rarely have bios issues unless you have had power delivery issues in the past that helped corrupt it. I generally avoid BIOS stuff on video cards unless there is an extremely good reason to touch it, such as fixing a well known performance bug, or the manufacturer themselves recommend it.

If you have CHANGED the bios, be sure you go back to the offered F3P bios on giga's website. Dont cross flash when diagnosing. Bad things can happen.

Have you done basics such as verifying that the power plugs can fullly sit onto the card? Ive had issues with older power supply cables that "snapped" into place, but the pins werent making good contact. I found a gap opposite of the connector clip. Should be nice and tight all around.

My gut feeling is software-related though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did it behave THE SAME between each system? or was behavior only "similar"?

overclocking software has a bad habit of NOT liking to co-exist with other software.

My advice is to clean any and all software related to overclocking, BUT FIRST use the software to reset to default card settings. Reboot after removing software, even if it does not tell you to.

You made the right BIOS choice, per BIOS you had, and the F3P gigabyte offered. However, 1080 TI's rarely have bios issues unless you have had power delivery issues in the past that helped corrupt it. I generally avoid BIOS stuff on video cards unless there is an extremely good reason to touch it, such as fixing a well known performance bug, or the manufacturer themselves recommend it.

If you have CHANGED the bios, be sure you go back to the offered F3P bios on giga's website. Dont cross flash when diagnosing. Bad things can happen.

Have you done basics such as verifying that the power plugs can fullly sit onto the card? Ive had issues with older power supply cables that "snapped" into place, but the pins werent making good contact. I found a gap opposite of the connector clip. Should be nice and tight all around.

My gut feeling is software-related though.
Thanks for taking out time to respond.

My initial system where I first tried OC was with i5 6600k and PSU Corsair RM750x, I checked the power supply cables were properly fit.

My other system is 3900x with PSU Corsair HX750, I experienced similar behavior is games where they would crash either within seconds or few minutes into the game.

I ensured that I reboot my system after every install/uninstall. Also didn't install 2 different OC software at same time. I guess I took every possible troubleshooting step and precaution, therefore I am quite frustrated now and clueless on next troubleshooting step.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even if you had only one software at a time, every software leaves an evidence trail, or garbage somewhere.

THAT is what I think is happening.

Did you try cleaning the registry with ccleaner?
While uninstalling I tried Revo Uninstaller which I suppose also clean registry entries but I will clean using CCleaner.

Additionally I also checked Power plan in use and found out that it was Balanced so I switched to Performance but still the crash remains.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,107 Posts
Careful with ccleaner. default settings have you remove more than some feel comfortable.

I always go into the tools or options, and disable smartcleaning (active scanning for junk files, slows system down), and I tell the custom clean settings on the left to skip cookies, session, and other obvious stuff.

Use the registry cleaner to do its thing.

One final thing to try after ccleaner, "windows key" + R, and type 2 different things, %appdata% and %localappdata%

Seperately, they simply open system folders, and simply verify there are zero folders specific to overclocking software.

Dont just willy nilly delete them. Open them up and make sure they contain what you expect. If you cannot confirm they are correct, leave them alone!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Careful with ccleaner. default settings have you remove more than some feel comfortable.

I always go into the tools or options, and disable smartcleaning (active scanning for junk files, slows system down), and I tell the custom clean settings on the left to skip cookies, session, and other obvious stuff.

One final thing to try after ccleaner, "windows key" + R, and type 2 different things, %appdata% and %localappdata%

Seperately, they simply open system folders, and simply verify there are zero folders specific to overclocking software.

Dont just willy nilly delete them. Open them up and make sure they contain what you expect. If you cannot confirm they are correct, leave them alone!

I tried what you suggested but no result.

I thought to underclock it with MSI Afterburner, tried negative 400 on Gpu Core Clock and 502 on Memory clock. Even after applying this setting my card boosted to 1962 Mhz on core clock in the game and crashed. I tried same clock in Unigine Heaven benchmark at extreme and it crashed at 23/26 scene. Though it didn't crash in MSI Kombustor test and maintained around 1550 Mhz on core clock.
This is very strange behavior, where even with an underclock it is still boosting too high. Additionally I found out that 2 of DP ports on card are not working, though I do not recall testing them prior to this because I kept it connected to this port since start.

The more I try to solve it the more I start believing that it is on the verge of dying.

·
Registered
98 Posts

I tried what you suggested but no result.

I thought to underclock it with MSI Afterburner, tried negative 400 on Gpu Core Clock and 502 on Memory clock. Even after applying this setting my card boosted to 1962 Mhz on core clock in the game and crashed. I tried same clock in Unigine Heaven benchmark at extreme and it crashed at 23/26 scene. Though it didn't crash in MSI Kombustor test and maintained around 1550 Mhz on core clock.
This is very strange behavior, where even with an underclock it is still boosting too high. Additionally I found out that 2 of DP ports on card are not working, though I do not recall testing them prior to this because I kept it connected to this port since start.

The more I try to solve it the more I start believing that it is on the verge of dying.
Regarding the clocks, it shouldn't crash Heaven at less than 2000, although this still sounds like a software issue. Do you have a spare drive you can connect as a boot device (to test a clean Win10 without hurting your current setup)? That's what I would do.

Regarding the DP outputs, from my experience they are kinda wonky, first of all some of them don't work depending on what other connections you use, and the others from my experience aren't very "hotswap friendly"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello gents;

I'm looking for a moded BIOS that allows me to push the voltage so I can go over my current limit. My GPU setup is: Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Extreme with EK waterblock, BIOS: 86.02.39.40.5E, and Shunt Power mod done (with Panasonic 5.0mhO shunt resistors) I can push it to 2075Mhz on the core and 6145 on the memory with a max voltage is 1.094v. temp never goes over 50ºC so I think that I could easily achieve 2100+ MHz just with a little bit extra of voltage.

Does anyone have such a BIOS or can point me where can I dowload it? Perhaps the FTW3 BIOS allows higher voltages?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just tryed leaving the mem to stock freq. and the core was a little bit longer stable at 2100Mhz but it also crashed, temp never exceeded 45ºC... so the problem its not the memory right? how could I rise the voltage above 1.094v? I've seen others arounf 1.105v...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hello gents;

I'm looking for a moded BIOS that allows me to push the voltage so I can go over my current limit. My GPU setup is: Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Extreme with EK waterblock, BIOS: 86.02.39.40.5E, and Shunt Power mod done (with Panasonic 5.0mhO shunt resistors) I can push it to 2075Mhz on the core and 6145 on the memory with a max voltage is 1.094v. temp never goes over 50ºC so I think that I could easily achieve 2100+ MHz just with a little bit extra of voltage.

Does anyone have such a BIOS or can point me where can I dowload it? Perhaps the FTW3 BIOS allows higher voltages?

Many thanks in advance.
Do you have it connected in DVI? Could you please dump your bios? Many thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
So that's been 3+ years with the amazing Aorus GTX 1080 Ti. Now the Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3080 arrived (ordered at 20 Sept. price) and looks like I will still make a good buck off the old Aorus. Very high value and reliability. Good work Gigabyte.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hello friends im one of the guys who speaks to buldzoid but hes to busy for me now a days and i was wondering if u guys can help me get more power in to my aorus 1080 ti extreme i did the shunt mod buy piggy backing 003 mohms shunts on top of 005 mohms shunts gave me 10 more c 15% more ipc my temps are low af so need more power plz bios mod or something idk after a thermalelectric heatpump i have a temp of 25 c idle and 35 on loud on my gpu

my best score et I scored 9 523 in Time Spy

2821 - 2840 of 2842 Posts