Overclock.net banner
3701 - 3720 of 3726 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
There is NO project and NO problem.. You did install later BIOS that does NOT have the ZEN microcode, means you cant use properly anymore ZEN/ ZEN+ CPUs on this exact board unless you do one of the 2 possible solutions..

1. upgrade the CPU to ZEN II/ ZEN III
2. replace the BIOS chips on this board with brand new ones

I will recomend you the 1. as it is more reasonable, then the second. I had the same/ similar problem when (same board Aorus x370 K7 and Ryzen 1700) (was F7B working great) decided to do update to F30 (for new AGESA and stuff) and after that i got ton of problems mostly the board properly posting, it did boot loop most of the time and nothing did fix it, till i did buy 3700x and upgrade the damn thing.. I am not sure *** is the problem, but for some reason no one can reverse back to older version BIOS and be fine. I did reverse to F2 the very first BIOS and then did update every single BISO release till i got to F10, and the board was running fine with the Ryzen 1700 for like month, then started working like crap again and i got tired of that BS and got 3700x..
The whole thing is some BS, as it should be possible to reverse and use the board as it was before, but nah it will work for some time then wont, and NO ONE mention this ****ing crap in their BIOS section for ppl to be ware ****ing gigabyte idiots and board vendors as they did use so small BIOS ROM chips ffs....
It was the F51e revision. That BIOS was running fine with my old 1700 (primary BIOS) so I wanted to update the secondary BIOS to that revision. Booted into the second BIOS in single BIOS mode just to be safe when I flashed. Did the flash and the board never booted back after the first reboot. I assumed I could recover with the primary BIOS but that one would not post either after switching. No beep codes and gibberish led post codes.
It has since been boxed up with the battery pulled out. When I have time I will try to boot it up again or even try that BIOS recovery method with the USB programmer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont know how that board was even able to work/post properly when u did install BIOS above F10 as mine and others dont work... Maybe some luck as the ROM chip is small on size they did drop the ZEN and ZEN+ support and that made boards not working properly with ZEN processors or at all... So what you dis was some luck, as x370 cant work with zen processor with BIOS thay does not have the microcode means the board wont recognize the CPU... So the next time when u did update the bios you bricked the board.. Just upgrade the CPU and the board will work.

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
I dont know how that board was even able to work/post properly when u did install BIOS above F10 as mine and others dont work... Maybe some luck as the ROM chip is small on size they did drop the ZEN and ZEN+ support and that made boards not working properly with ZEN processors or at all... So what you dis was some luck, as x370 cant work with zen processor with BIOS thay does not have the microcode means the board wont recognize the CPU... So the next time when u did update the bios you bricked the board.. Just upgrade the CPU and the board will work.
I only see them mentioning dropped Bristol Ridge support in some of their latter BIOS revisions, no mention of Summit Ridge. It sucks if that is the case and bad that they don't warn users on their page. So maybe if I manage to buy a cheap 3600 or something (fat chance down here) I may be able to use the board again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I only see them mentioning dropped Bristol Ridge support in some of their latter BIOS revisions, no mention of Summit Ridge. It sucks if that is the case and bad that they don't warn users on their page. So maybe if I manage to buy a cheap 3600 or something (fat chance down here) I may be able to use the board again.

I know that they mention only drop for APUs, but the thing is they dont mention all things in the notes sadly, is why i got angry when i did fall into the **** after updating the mobo to the F24 bios and after that to F40... I did think back then same as you, that the board did gone bad and i need new board... My board was working tho, but did boot loop some times like crazy and did that for loooong time before i am able to recover it again... Did update the damn thing to the latest BIOS when i got the 3700x and since then it is all fine as it was before i did the ****ing update in first place...

When i was with the ryzen 1700 and the newer BIOS for ZEN II i did some reasearch how to fix the damn thing and i did found many people to speak how they did update their x370 boards with ZEN 1 CPUs to like ZEN II bioses and that did totally brick some boards, other did boot loop, all kind of nasty problems.. Aside from that i can say my Aorus K7 board did more then fine, as many many ppl did brick their boards, while mine was still somehow able to run... Not sure if the memory have something to do with your or mine situation, as you say your board seems totally dead no lights no notinhg, while mine did boot (the worst boots was LED screen and the BIOS and power button leds, RGB leds did not work) ... Try to reseat the damn memory and specially the CPU it may help you to run the board again (before to brick again) .

"well, I don't update my asrock x370 gaming bios because the newest versions crash/bsod with my 1st gen ryzen. The asrock support engineer said that when zen+ support was added, 1st gen zen doesn't work anymore in some situations so I should revert. I didn't brick thankfully, but there it is. I haven't checked up on the situation with the 3rd gen bios and my 1st gen processor. "

"
Because 3rd gen bios does :

• replace interface with a lite mode
  • remove profile backup and other features
  • remove support for earlier CPUs
  • disable RAID support
"

I did add posts from reddit of other ppl...
As i told u i did research when i got tired of that BS behaviour of the board that was working very good before to update the bios from F10 (ZEN support) to like F25 (ZEN+ i think) then did go straight to F40 (ZEN II for sure). And found that for some ******ed reason if someone with x370 and ZEN update BIOS to ZEN II bios it loses the microcode support, means the board works, BUT it have from hard time to recognize the installed CPU, to non (like in your case and some other ppl). And the even bigger BS is you can reverse the BIOS to liek F10 that is 110% supporting the ZEN processors, seems there is some permanent deletion of ZEN/ ZEN+ microcode that no REflashing is able to fix is just very dumb really....... I do update BIOS to lates version of every single motherboard i have to add latest support of CPUs, memory and other stuff, but this time is the first for me to encounter such f**king BS really.....

Good at least i saw this thread and your post so i can give you some info, as it was hard for me to find this on my own the hard way..
Just get an ZEN II CPU from a friend or buy some and try yourself it should boot no problem (same way as my Aorus K7 did work with the F50e BIOS just fine no bricking, no bootLOOPs, no BS)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Damn there was even AD i saw like 2 months ago some guy with Aorus x370 Gaming 5 and Ryzen 1600 seems did the same mistake as we did and updated the BIOS to F40 or F50 and got similar dumb behaviour, and now he is selling his board and CPU, as he thinks the board is bricked, or something is wrong with it.. Sadly if the fu***ng board manifactures did use bigger ROM chips like 32MB instead of 16mb this was going not to affect everyone but.... It is strange to me, as even the latest BIOS is near 11mb, there should be enough space for the previous stuff. Unless that 11MB F50 BIOS containts ONLY ZEN 2 and ZEN 3 microcode, and the whole BIOS is like 25MB if contains the APUs ZEN and ZEN+......

Aside from that very BIG BIOS mess BS i am very pleased with this board it works great, even now with Ryzen 3700x i have no complains at all. Some times it does freeze on post screen, but after reset it just boots, is far away from that nasty behaviour with the ZEN CPU and the ZEN 2 microcode BIOS.. Very solid and stable behaviour under windows 10. I will prob upgrade to Ryzen 5700x, 5900x or the 5800x3D but will see for that after AM5 is out, prices to fall.. Will like to get Aorus Master x570s, but my board works, is just far away then the current x570 boards are alot more high end then the x370 "high end" ones...

Got an idea for you.. So instead of taking my word for it, try it yourself, but instead of spending money for new ZEN II processor go to some pc repair shop and ask if they can test your board with some ryzen 3K cpu and i bet the board will prob work. As in home yourself it will be hard to debugg that shht without ZEN II..

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
Yeah, the board is really good with some nice features, features that I was hard pressed to find on newer affordable boards. I settled for a B550 in the end. I'm right now using the same RAM and PSU on my new 5800X build, so at least I know those components are still fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, the board is really good with some nice features, features that I was hard pressed to find on newer affordable boards. I settled for a B550 in the end. I'm right now using the same RAM and PSU on my new 5800X build, so at least I know those components are still fine.
Try then the 5800h on the x370 Aorus K7 board, to see if it will work..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was hoping that someone here could help. I am attempting to flash my bios to T51e planning on picking up a 5800x3d, currently on a 1700x. Problem is when I attempt @BIOS it tells me to update @BIOS (running latest version I can find on their site) and when I attempt to use q-flash through bios it gives me an error Invalid BIOS image I am currently running version F6 (i've never updated this board I don't unless I have problems generally) i downloaded the T51e from gigabyte and have it as the only bios on my flashdrive. Thank you all for the assist.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was hoping that someone here could help. I am attempting to flash my bios to T51e planning on picking up a 5800x3d, currently on a 1700x. Problem is when I attempt @BIOS it tells me to update @BIOS (running latest version I can find on their site) and when I attempt to use q-flash through bios it gives me an error Invalid BIOS image I am currently running version F6 (i've never updated this board I don't unless I have problems generally) i downloaded the T51e from gigabyte and have it as the only bios on my flashdrive. Thank you all for the assist.

For me BIOS update works no matter if i do it from the Windows or BIOS.. Things to do, reset the current BIOS first, erase the flash drive and redownload the wanted BIOS file again and try. If still gives error replace the damn flash drive..

But if this fails maybe you need to follow the notes from Gigabyte site.. For example read the description on the F30 and F40 BIOS notes.. My best advice for you is to flash to BIOS F10, then flash F24 (or whatever F2x), then Flash F30 BIOS read the description and follow the instructions after u do all, then you can flash the rest.. Still i think there was no problem for me flashing from F22 to like F40 and then F50 whatever...

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
Update directly from the BIOS. Use a flash drive formatted in FAT32 using MBR, ideally a USB 2.0 drive. Important to set the BIOS switches to single BIOS mode and the primary BIOS (so you don't accidentally flash the backup BIOS). Since you are on such an old BIOS, you need to update to F31 first:

Note:
1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40.
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.
3. Due to BIOS ROM size limited, NO Bristol Ridge (AMD 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ X4 series) APU support.
Once you successfully flash to F31, use the EC FW Update Tool and then flash to F40:

Note:
1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40.
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.
3. Due to BIOS ROM size limited, NO Bristol Ridge (AMD 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ X4 series) APU support.
After F40 you can flash to the latest. You may be able to skip the whole EC FW Tool part, not 100% on that. Keep in mind that updating the BIOS takes some time and must not be interrupted. Your PC will reboot by itself and boot up again. After this first boot don't touch anything as the PC will reboot a few times on its own (I think twice more). Just let it do its thing until it boots back into your OS.

WARNING: When I had this board I was running a 1700. The last working BIOS I had on it was F51e. I attempted to flash the secondary BIOS to F51e since everything was working out for me, but then the board stopped booting after that second flash. Neither the primary or secondary BIOS would boot anymore. I was told on this thread it's because these later BIOS have incomplete support for first gen Ryzen. You may not be able to boot the board with your 1700X after you flash to the latest BIOS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you both for your prompt responses. Excellent information and it looks like sequential updates are the problem, I will hold off on flashing anything until I have 5800 in hand...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good News:

With the new F51g Bios, they updated to AMD AGESA 1.2.0.7 with support for 5800X3D. I'll probably get one to keep me going until 8xxx or even 9xxx gens come out.

Interesting i did check like a month ago, and in CPU support list the 5800x3D was there, before this F51G very strange... Still nice of AMD to finally unlock the x370 for supporting ZEN III, and now even the last CPU for the platform.. Too bad they did not made 5900x3D as well...

·
Registered
10 Posts
For anyone that is interested...I just updated my GA-AX370-Gaming K7 to the F51g BIOS and installed a Ryzen 7 5700g into it and it works fine. The CPU support page still doesn't list support for Cezanne but it's working so I suppose they just haven't updated the list yet. Toodles!

·
Registered
561 Posts
For anyone that is interested...I just updated my GA-AX370-Gaming K7 to the F51g BIOS and installed a Ryzen 7 5700g into it and it works fine. The CPU support page still doesn't list support for Cezanne but it's working so I suppose they just haven't updated the list yet. Toodles!
Good for you. I'm wondering if the 5800X3D would just drop in. My system has a 3600 and runs W7.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm currently on vacation down on the Florida gulf coast and won't get back to SE Michigan for another 2 weeks or there about. As soon as I get back I'm going to order a 5800X3D, now that AORUS has the F51F BIOS for it. I also have 32GB of 3200 RAM left over from my Tiachi X570 gamer refit last December. The 1080 video card will have to make do for a while longer. Keep in mind that this is strictly a W7 machine and it mainly does GOG shooters and runs CP77 pretty good.

P.S. I really like this thread

·
Registered
Ryzen 5 3600, GAAB350M-D3H, Ballistix PC3000, RTX-3060
16 Posts
I'm going to post this question here since I know Gigabyte likes to share a lot of their BIOS code base across boards.
Is anyone using a X370 or B350 board with the newer AGESA 1.2.0.7 BIOS with a Zen3 who has an overclock on their RAM in a 1:1:1 config over 3600/1800?
I was running 3800/1900 on the older BIOS with a Ryzen 3600 completely stable but looks like the new BIOS has a memory hole above 3466. Curious if this hole exists for Zen 3 in the same BIOS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm currently on vacation down on the Florida gulf coast and won't get back to SE Michigan for another 2 weeks or there about. As soon as I get back I'm going to order a 5800X3D, now that AORUS has the F51F BIOS for it. I also have 32GB of 3200 RAM left over from my Tiachi X570 gamer refit last December. The 1080 video card will have to make do for a while longer. Keep in mind that this is strictly a W7 machine and it mainly does GOG shooters and runs CP77 pretty good.

P.S. I really like this thread
I wonder why tf when you have superior board such as x570 TaiChi, why you even bother with this old and weak on VRM side Aorus x370 board to use it, instead of selling it, and just use the better board.. As board vendors did take AMD seriously with Zen II and x470, and with ZEN III and x570 they made ultra high end boards for AMD as well such as Aorus x570 Xtreme or MSI GodLike x570. But x370 board were a joke sadly compared to the high end of the intel boards back in 2017 .. My Aorux x370 K7 works like a charm, but still is not on par with the x470 Aorus 7 WI-FI, and is far cry from Aorus Xtreme x570 in terms of build quality, specially VRM and VRM heatsink... But i like the board anyway (aside from the weak 6 phase Vcore VRM, and the crap joke of VRM heatsink, nothing that x2 40mm fans cant fix, but still compare the Aorux x470 7 and Aorux x570 Xtreme or even the master VRM heatsink to ours....) it works great since day 1, it have armored PCIex and MEM slots lot of dual stuff such as BIOS, Audio, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, it have tons of 4 pin PWM fan headers that work great.. Only downside these days is the board is old and have only 1 M2 connector, and it piss me off the VRM is 6+4 4 phases for Vsoc FK that... They should have made the VRM 8+2 (8 real phases, not doublers)

What is there to like so much about this thread ? I am happy i did read in Gigabyte forums before every update, so i saw some garbage BIOS that did overvolt CPUs as some ppl did kill their processors so i did not update...

I'm going to post this question here since I know Gigabyte likes to share a lot of their BIOS code base across boards.
Is anyone using a X370 or B350 board with the newer AGESA 1.2.0.7 BIOS with a Zen3 who has an overclock on their RAM in a 1:1:1 config over 3600/1800?
I was running 3800/1900 on the older BIOS with a Ryzen 3600 completely stable but looks like the new BIOS has a memory hole above 3466. Curious if this hole exists for Zen 3 in the same BIOS.
If you have fast Samsung B-Die kit, and you have trouble running faster speed then 3400 memory, then you have to blame the damn latest AGESA microcode.. I did readin this thread, that some other ppl did upgrade the AGESA and got OC nerf.. Maybe flash to the previous version of the BIOS it should fix it for you. After all you dont need the very latest BIOS, if you have ZEN II processor, just flash 1-2 versions early BIOS. I have atm F50e and works fine with Ryzen 3700x and 32GB B-Die sticks at CL14 3600 speed..

·
Registered
Ryzen 5 3600, GAAB350M-D3H, Ballistix PC3000, RTX-3060
16 Posts
If you have fast Samsung B-Die kit, and you have trouble running faster speed then 3400 memory, then you have to blame the damn latest AGESA microcode.. I did readin this thread, that some other ppl did upgrade the AGESA and got OC nerf.. Maybe flash to the previous version of the BIOS it should fix it for you. After all you dont need the very latest BIOS, if you have ZEN II processor, just flash 1-2 versions early BIOS. I have atm F50e and works fine with Ryzen 3700x and 32GB B-Die sticks at CL14 3600 speed..
Don't know about fast but I have "not-slow" Micron Rev-E. That I can run on F52d for my board at PC3800/1900IF. The second I go to the new BIOS with the new AGESA there's a hard wall where the board just refuses to post above 3466 even when I try super slack settings I know the RAM can do PC4400 at. With my current Zen2 I don't need a new BIOS, however I'm thinking of getting a Zen3 and wanted to see if there's a bug in the way Gigabyte set up the BIOS that's preventing my overclock from working or maybe just the Zen2 implementation.
I did downgrade my BIOS back to F52D.

Maybe I'll have to try the upgrade again or get the CPU and see what happens and if I'm stuck get a new board.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well some ppl some pages behind did say that the latest AGESA for this board did nerf their memory and CPU OC speed, that was working fine on the previous AGESA BIOS... Who knows who is to blame for this crap, that happens with the latest BIOS/ AGESA Gigabyte or AMD.. If this happens to other x370 board brands like ASUS, MSI and ASRock, BIOstar then it is the AGESA to blame.. Maybe they did some major change die to the 5800x3D having V Cache and alot of it...
But yes that is really annoying, as if i decide to upgrade one day from 3700x to ZEN III and specially 5800x3D my memory clock may get nerf as well...
This is one of the reason why Intel have it better, everyone blame them about changing sockets and chipsets every year, but normally when they do that they will have less problems then AMD with the very ole these days x370 boards...

My advice for you is to look up the x370 threads for the other high end boards of the rest brands here, or in their forums, that will give you and idea if is the AMD`s fault or Gigabyte...

3701 - 3720 of 3726 Posts