Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, my experiences overclocking with this motherboard have been far from fun or easy. In fact, I have yet to get a single overclock to even run stable, and 95% of my tries won't even allow me to boot into Windows. I recently switched from an EVGA 780i to this motherboard, which I was running my Q6700 @ 3.5 GHz w/ 1.36V for about 9 months. I tried to run a similar speed/voltage, and it wouldn't boot. After some looking around, I started tweaking other settings like the CPU Term, CPU PLL, MCH Core, even the CPU vCore, still no success after multiple tries of different voltages. So I started lower-level overclocking. Tried 3.2 GHz w/ 1.36V vCore (1.3875V BIOS) (just to keep that as a basis), and had these settings:

CPU PLL: 1.65V
CPU Term: 1.3V
MCH Core: 1.3V

Still nothing would work. Went back into Windows with stock settings, used ET6 to do an "auto" setting which OC'd me to 3.2 GHz with an 8x multi instead of a 10x, and it booted into Windows (AMAZING). So I decided to stress test. Ran Prime95 for 10 hours, no errors what so ever, hottest core got to 71C. Went to play L4D2, and my PC locked up in a matter of minutes. So I quit trying to overclock. I've waited for about 2 weeks, and decided to give it another go. This time at 3.33 GHz / 1333 MHz FSB. These were my settings (that ALL failed)

**Test 1*
CPU vCore: 1.3875V
CPU PLL: 1.75V
CPU Term: 1.3V
MCH Core: 1.3V
DRAM Voltage: 2.1V

rest set to "auto"

**Test 2**
CPU PLL: 1.85V
CPU Term: 1.34V
MCH Core: 1.4V

rest set to "auto"

**Test 3**
CPU Term: 1.36V
ICH Core: 1.2V

rest set to "auto"

**Test 4**
CPU Term: 1.36V
ICH Core: 1.2V
ICH I/O: 1.61V

rest set to "auto"

For all 4 tests, my MCH boot strap was set to 2.40B (which kept my RAM at 800 MHz). Am I missing something? Is something still not set high enough? I'm not sure where to go from here. 1.36V windows (1.3875V BIOS) was plenty to run rock solid on my 780i, so 3.33 GHz on this motherboard should run on the same voltage, if not much less, therefore I doubt it's the CPU voltage. Any suggestions would help, I bought this motherboard under the impression that it would be a great overclocker as every review and forum out there has made it out to be.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
When my rig was struggling to get a stable OC on this board, I just went back to basics - change FSB, bump up voltage and adjust the MCH strap to underclock the RAM a bit - and set everything else to auto. THEN, tweak some of the other settings to get it really stable. Let me know how this works for you.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Powelly View Post
When my rig was struggling to get a stable OC on this board, I just went back to basics - change FSB, bump up voltage and adjust the MCH strap to underclock the RAM a bit - and set everything else to auto. THEN, tweak some of the other settings to get it really stable. Let me know how this works for you.
Tried underclocking RAM and leaving everything on auto except the CPU voltage, still wouldn't boot into Windows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts