Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

As I have just bought a amd 3000+ and a MoBo GA-K8N-SLI and it runs preety cool I decided to try overclocking it.

On the bios first I tried lowering the HT multiplier to 3x... OK
Then, I lowered the ram ratio to 2-1... OK
Then, I went up to 210 on the FSB... OK
And it boot ok

But my bios won't let me pass arround 210-220.... It won't even recognize my disks and so on and says:

Over CPU clock right now! CPU clock frecuency is 220
If system hang on over clocking
Please press Delete key before next time overclock(the delete key is to enter the bios again)

And it reboots.

I have tryed lowering the HT multiplier, raising the voltage up to 1.60, updating my BIOS... nothing worked!.

The thing is that why am I able to raise the core and so on with Gigabyte's easy tunner and clockgen for nf4 (from windows little by little up to 2400 mhz and it won't heat up more than 41 degrees) and not from the BIOS?? Gigabytes fault??.

If you need any more info please tell me.

Thanks a lot, I'm a bit desperate...

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Have you adjusted the LDT (RAM controler) multiplyer.
The below will explane you delema being you have a default 5x LDT and are using a 220HTT your overall RAM bus speed is 1100 which is well beyond the default 1000... most MBs wont be stable beyond 1080. Keep it between 800 and 1000.

My work from another post

The LDT multiplyer (memory) relative to the HTT is a bit confusing at first.
HTT and CPU ... as it is increased the LDT would be adjusted to maintain the RAM's stability, in part, as do the RAM timings and vdimm require additional attention if you maintain a 1:1 CPU:RAM speeds.
Basically the
HTTxLDT=1000 or
200x5=1000
201-250 use an LDT of 4x
251-333 use 3x
The LDT voltage may also require increses.

A RAM divider is required when the RAM can not maintain a 1:1 ratio to the CPU when the HTT is increased beyond the RAM's ability to match the speed.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Only dfi boards use LTD all others use HT. Its just another name for FSB

·
Registered
851 Posts
my brother has a gigabyte board and a 3000+ and i have had alot of trouble trying to OC that aswell

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
try dropping your ram clock from 200 to 166, if you haven't done so your 210mhz cpu clock also means your ram (hopefully DDR400) is running at DDR420, which your ram may not like...

if you absolutly can't find it in the bios, after pressing CTRL+F1 i'll reboot & find it...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant find it
I lowered the multiplier so it runs at 300 or something, in fact underclocking it. I have increased the CPU voltage, the HT-Link voltage and didn't work
it still reboots with the same message

The weird thing is that if I put the multiplier lets say to 3x and the divider to 1.33, but the FSB to 200 I can actually change the FSB from windows up to 260 by making small steps (100mhz steps from the final clock more less)kind of stable, haven't tryed for long periods of time, and it wont pass from 41 degrees.... And u would say, well, change it from windows but I also want to use my overclock in linux and so on....

Thanks for this nice welcome

EDIT: Found on gigabytes webpage

Please tell me why my computer hangs up, when I increase AMD K8 CPU FSB speed?

Based on AMD K8 platform structure, when you change CPU FSB speed, DDR and Hyper Transport clock are also be affected. To raise CPU FSB speed, DDR and Hyper Transport clock are also raised. If computer hang up in this condition, you could try to decrease DDR and Hyper Transport clock. Please kindly pay attention, to raise CPU FSB clock does not fit specification defined by CPU vender, and we do not responsible for any results from overclock.

So this means that I have to lower my HT multiplier, and the memory divider right? Well, I've done that and doesn't work.... next time for shure I won't buy gigabyte

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Set the HTT multi to x4, leave all stock voltages. leave the stock cpu multi at x9 then up the HT from 200 to 210 then reboot

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have the same board, i just set my HTT to 3x and the voltage to 1.4 and put the FSB right to 245 on a 133 divider to keep my memory good and it booted but at 220 it wouldnt boot , try that im at 267 right now and its still good on those settings

and it did the same thing for me

·
Registered
162 Posts
do this i can almost garauntee it will work , i just figured it out last night
FSB=250
Memory=133
HTT=3x
Voltage=1.4V or auto , doesnt matter
BTW HTT 4x didnt work for me
I have mine at 267 on stock cooling and it runs great right now , We have almost the same system
Control F1 in the bois gives you advanced options which you need

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fredster102: Thanks a lot for your reply

What about the SATA and the Center spread or something? and where is the 133 memory thing?

thanks a lot

·
Registered
455 Posts
i had the same troubles with my setup...the GA-K8N Pro-SLI and my 3200+ winchester,....i tried everything,,upping the voltage ,ram divider, i just couldnt go above 215 FSB, then i updated my bios and a whole lot of new options came up...and the bios became more stable and now im running at 2.5ghz , try updating the bios, that might help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fredster102 what version of the BIOS have u got? could u post it here plz? I have F5 but used to have F2 and didn't work....

·
Registered
455 Posts
if you update you will definetly be able to overclock with alot more options

·
Registered
162 Posts
really what kind of options did you get , and when i first boot up the comp when its off it doesnt do the detecting IDE drives , then it resets itself then it boots what could that be? and its really stable in windows

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
u.c.i.n.e.x. the thing is that i have already updated....

There is a version F6 out there, but it won't let me chose the options, it hangs
I thing the versioning is different between the pro and the non pro

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.