Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i got this ram yesterday its 2x1gb of g.skill ddr2-800

I love the new ram its made my computer much much faster alot better than my 1gb ddr2-400. But when i bought it I always had the intention of overclocking it to ddr2-1066 which in theory shouldn't be a problem because me motherboard (gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud4p) supports up to ddr2-1333. So i went into the bios went through to and found the setting for the ram speed but was suprised to find that it only went up to ddr2-800?!?!

I really want to overclock my ram to see if i can see a performance increase but i can't go over ddr2-800 what do i need to do to make it let me do ddr2-1066?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok so in other words my cpu is ****y and old and I should get a phenom

well +rep anyways i think my uncle is getting me a phenom on my birthday

so if i get a phenom do u think i will be able to get this ram 2 ddr2-1333?

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Highly doubt it.

Only 1 kit was made that could get to that speed and was DDR2. It was made by TeamXtreme DDR3 1300mhz Cas 6

Though, if you were able to find a good set of OCZ Platinum Low Voltage or OCZ Blade Low Voltage sticks, you could probably get close.

On a K10 or K10.5 CPU, the speed of the RAM is not what is important. It's the speed of the Northbridge (IMC) and low Cas settings. Which give the best performance.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
No, High HT Link is bad for all AMD CPU's.

You want to keep the HT Link at stock. (or as close to it as possible.)

Northbridge Freq is something entirely new introduced with K10 & K10.5 CPU's. It's the ffrequency at which your CPU's IMC runs.
Originally the IMC ran on a 1:1 Ratio with the CPU Frequency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts