Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Still got this board in the box new from 5 years ago with i7-3960X. Is it worth the time to put it all together for normal desktop use with multi displays? Been out of the loop for 5 years and try to browse for information about this board with very little information available. Thanks.

·

13,019 Posts
Ofcourse it's worth it. x79 is still pretty quick. I have two x79 set ups, 1680 v2 and 1660 v2, on Asus boards.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ken1649

·

13,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

What is 1680 v2? Forgive me it's been 5 years out of loop.
Unlocked 8 core 16 thread x79 cpu with 25mb L3 cache.

·
PC Evangelist
47,374 Posts
At this point better off the sell them and get something new.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

At this point better off the sell them and get something new.
Could you please elaborate? I got all the water blocks and everything for this board just got no time to put it together 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

Quote:

What is 1680 v2? Forgive me it's been 5 years out of loop.
Unlocked 8 core 16 thread x79 cpu with 25mb L3 cache.
Got it. Thanks

·
PC Evangelist
47,374 Posts
Quote:

Could you please elaborate? I got all the water blocks and everything for this board just got no time to put it together 5 years ago.

Got it. Thanks
You could probably sell it all and have enough to buy a 8700K system. SB-E is by no means slow and will serve you good but its 5 years old platform now.

• Rep+

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
Normal desktop use with multiple displays? Sure. The hardware's on the dated side, but it's by no means slow. That board, with 4 PCI-E x16 slots, means you can easily drop multiple GPUs into it for monitors and stuff.

A modern Ryzen 1600X/1700 or an Intel 8700K system is still going to flatten it in terms of sheer CPU power though.

• Rep+

·
PC Evangelist
47,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

Normal desktop use with multiple displays? Sure. The hardware's on the dated side, but it's by no means slow. That board, with 4 PCI-E x16 slots, means you can easily drop multiple GPUs into it for monitors and stuff.

A modern Ryzen 1600X/1700 or an Intel 8700K system is still going to flatten it in terms of sheer CPU power though.
He can still get good money for X79 and an EE CPU.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Quote:

Got it. Thanks
You could probably sell it all and have enough to buy a 8700K system. SB-E is by no means slow and will serve you good but its 5 years old platform now.
I am worried about the motherboard GA-X79-UD7. Last time I checked it got problem. Got 2 of them, 1 is free from the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts