Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MMO Enthusiast
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago my GPU (GTX 780 Classified) stopped working. It stopped giving video and fans didn't turn on so i assumed it was dead. A few days ago i bought another GPU (EVGA GTX 1050 Ti FTW) and it had the same issue as my GTX 780 so i tried it on another computer and it worked. After that i tried another GPU on my computer and it presented the same problem, no video and fans won't turn on, so my guess is the problem it's on the PCI-E slot, maybe not delivering power properly to the GPU since it won't turn on.

I already did a bios reset and took apart the whole PC to eliminate any static maybe on the case and the problem is still there.

¿Is there any other test i can do to confirm it's the PCI-E?, and if so, ¿is there a way to fix?

Corsair RM 550 550w
Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5
Intel Core i5 4590
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8gb (2x4gb)

·
B10S TInk3r
464 Posts
To rule out the PCIE slot as being faulty, try some older cards in there before you consider it bad, possibly an AMD/ATI card too just to be sure if you can.
If you have any connected NVME/M.2 SSD remove it for the test too, in case it's using some of the PCIE lane bandwidth.

I've seen issues like you mention on Nvidia cards that do not have the latest vBIOS/GOP in them, and similarly be sure you are using the latest BIOS on the motherboards too.
If you need someone to update your GFX BIOS, dump it with GPU-z and upload here, I can update it for you.

·
MMO Enthusiast
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To rule out the PCIE slot as being faulty, try some older cards in there before you consider it bad, possibly an AMD/ATI card too just to be sure if you can.
If you have any connected NVME/M.2 SSD remove it for the test too, in case it's using some of the PCIE lane bandwidth.

I've seen issues like you mention on Nvidia cards that do not have the latest vBIOS/GOP in them, and similarly be sure you are using the latest BIOS on the motherboards too.
If you need someone to update your GFX BIOS, dump it with GPU-z and upload here, I can update it for you.

Motherboard has the latest bios available installed already. With the GPUs i don't know since i can't use them, but the GTX 780 used to work with no problem in the MB so i assume its bios is compatible with the motherboard.

I also tested an ATI X300 that i usually use as backup card and it didn't work either.

Thanks.

·
B10S TInk3r
464 Posts
Sorry, I missed you mentioned the 780 used to work on this same board, that rules out all I mentioned applying to that card but it still could apply to the 1050.
If you can put that 1050 in another system and dump it's vBIOS with GPU-z, I can update it for you so you can rule that out as a possible issue too.

Can you enter the BIOS with onboard GFX? If yes, what do you have set for "Other PCI ROM priority" in "BIOS Features" page?
If it's set to UEFI opRom, try setting legacy and then test the card again, if this still fails with both cards, then you may be right and something is wrong with the PCIE Slot itself.

X300 might be too old :)

When you mentioned BIOS reset, after that did you again load optimized defaults? It may be bad slot, since the fans don't turn, but I've seen other stuff cause that too sometimes

·
MMO Enthusiast
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I missed you mentioned the 780 used to work on this same board, that rules out all I mentioned applying to that card but it still could apply to the 1050.
If you can put that 1050 in another system and dump it's vBIOS with GPU-z, I can update it for you so you can rule that out as a possible issue too.

Can you enter the BIOS with onboard GFX? If yes, what do you have set for "Other PCI ROM priority" in "BIOS Features" page?
If it's set to UEFI opRom, try setting legacy and then test the card again, if this still fails with both cards, then you may be right and something is wrong with the PCIE Slot itself.

X300 might be too old :)

When you mentioned BIOS reset, after that did you again load optimized defaults? It may be bad slot, since the fans don't turn, but I've seen other stuff cause that too sometimes

I just tried to boot it with both GPUs and the "Other PCI ROM priority" option in Legacy mode and it still wont do anything.

I found a PCI-E network wireless card and installed it to see if it works and apparently it doesn't. I downloaded this (PCI-Z) to check the PCI-E status with the network card installed and it shows this:

Attachments

·
B10S TInk3r
464 Posts
It's being detected, so the slot is not fully fried anyway. Did you test removing all hard drives? I know some might share PCIE lanes, but didn't grab your manual to see which/if any.
Could be some of the traces have blown resistor, but not all? See all the tiny resistors above/below the slot itself, the little 1mm rectangles, do any look burned or cracked, or missing?

You might have to RMA if you can, I hear they are quick, only 2 weeks or so before you get item back once they receive it.

·
MMO Enthusiast
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's being detected, so the slot is not fully fried anyway. Did you test removing all hard drives? I know some might share PCIE lanes, but didn't grab your manual to see which/if any.
Could be some of the traces have blown resistor, but not all? See all the tiny resistors above/below the slot itself, the little 1mm rectangles, do any look burned or cracked, or missing?

You might have to RMA if you can, I hear they are quick, only 2 weeks or so before you get item back once they receive it.

I checked for blown resistors / capacitors and everything seems good, maybe the slot is burned inside but it seems ok too :/

I´ll try removing hard drives and ram to see if it works.

Thanks!!

·
MMO Enthusiast
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just tried the GPU with only 1 ram stick and no HDD/SSD but still dead.

·
B10S TInk3r
464 Posts
Are you currently using the latest BIOS? Where you using this same BIOS before? Have you tried using an older BIOS, one behind one you are using now?

Is Intel ME functioning properly? Can you see Intel Management Device in Device Manager, and it's OK (No warning, yellow bang)?

Might be time to see if you can RMA then, sometimes even if you are outside of warranty period they'll still fix it for you, so don't be afraid to submit a ticket and see what they say
ggcs.gigabyte.com/Login.aspx

·
MMO Enthusiast
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you currently using the latest BIOS? Where you using this same BIOS before? Have you tried using an older BIOS, one behind one you are using now?

Is Intel ME functioning properly? Can you see Intel Management Device in Device Manager, and it's OK (No warning, yellow bang)?

Might be time to see if you can RMA then, sometimes even if you are outside of warranty period they'll still fix it for you, so don't be afraid to submit a ticket and see what they say
ggcs.gigabyte.com/Login.aspx

I've been using latest BIOS for almost 2 years and there hasn't been an update since 2015. I don't have Intel Management Device but i have Intel Management Engine Interface, i'm gonna try to reinstall it to see if it does something.

I'm also gonna contact Gigabyte RMA to see if they can do something.

Thanks!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts