Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been scouring the web for any information on the NZXT G12 GPU cooling mount, hoping for a reputable website to have posted results on cooling, across any third-party suppliers of the GTX 1080. It's slim pickings out there and most of the information is based on the founders edition.

To that end, I'd like to start a thread on here to see what peoples thoughts/experiences are of the NZXT G12, or its earlier version the G10. I'm currently using an NZXT X62, for my CPU and I'm extremely happy with my results. I'd be planning on using an X42 for cooling my GPU, due to limitations on space in my case (Corsair 450D) and from peoples past experiences, which I've found evidence on. Also the aesthetics of NZXT components is second to none at the moment. I think it'd compliment my case well, especially orientating the graphics card upright :)

I know that the layout of the Gigabyte GPU is different to the Founders Edition, however NZXT's website states that they support most third party vendors. Particularly in the areas of VRM heatsinks etc. I've dropped NZXT an email today, to confirm compatibility from their perspective.

Just to make myself clear, I'm strictly doing this for enjoyment purposes; with the potential to overclock my card a little further, providing VRM temps. come down and the card is cooler in general. I also hate the sound of the fans when the GPU is on load.

There might not be much benefit in converting over to an NZXT G12 w/X42 cooler set up, but it'll look more aesthetically pleasing and will probably be quieter overall.

Any advice, experiences or suggestions would be helpful. If I do go ahead with the conversion I'll be sure to share a detailed outcome on my results.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I used a g10 on my 7970 back in the day before switching over to full cover and custom loops.

The g10 and g12 will fit any GPU on the market as long as the hole spacing is nvidia or AMD spec. Just add some stick on heatsinks for VRMs and vram and you're good to go with a 92mm fan blowing on them.

Temps and noise will drop too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi SavantStrike

Thanks for the response. I'd love to go full custom loop in my next build, but for now I'm staying strictly on AIO. Would you recommend any particular heatsink brands? Copper or aluminium?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all

I've been scouring the web for any information on the NZXT G12 GPU cooling mount, hoping for a reputable website to have posted results on cooling, across any third-party suppliers of the GTX 1080. It's slim pickings out there and most of the information is based on the founders edition.

To that end, I'd like to start a thread on here to see what peoples thoughts/experiences are of the NZXT G12, or its earlier version the G10. I'm currently using an NZXT X62, for my CPU and I'm extremely happy with my results. I'd be planning on using an X42 for cooling my GPU, due to limitations on space in my case (Corsair 450D) and from peoples past experiences, which I've found evidence on. Also the aesthetics of NZXT components is second to none at the moment. I think it'd compliment my case well, especially orientating the graphics card upright :)

I know that the layout of the Gigabyte GPU is different to the Founders Edition, however NZXT's website states that they support most third party vendors. Particularly in the areas of VRM heatsinks etc. I've dropped NZXT an email today, to confirm compatibility from their perspective.

Just to make myself clear, I'm strictly doing this for enjoyment purposes; with the potential to overclock my card a little further, providing VRM temps. come down and the card is cooler in general. I also hate the sound of the fans when the GPU is on load.

There might not be much benefit in converting over to an NZXT G12 w/X42 cooler set up, but it'll look more aesthetically pleasing and will probably be quieter overall.

Any advice, experiences or suggestions would be helpful. If I do go ahead with the conversion I'll be sure to share a detailed outcome on my results.
Did you get any confirmation from NZXT? I am also thinkning of doing the same to my Windforce 1080 which afaik has the same layout as the G1.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hi SavantStrike

Thanks for the response. I'd love to go full custom loop in my next build, but for now I'm staying strictly on AIO. Would you recommend any particular heatsink brands? Copper or aluminium?
Enzotech makes some very nice copper ramsinks and mosfet sinks. Otherwise any aluminum sink will do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you get any confirmation from NZXT? I am also thinkning of doing the same to my Windforce 1080 which afaik has the same layout as the G1.

I've not had any confirmation yet. Still waiting for them to get back to me. A little bit poor on response times in my opinion. I'll be sure to keep you updated though. I like the aesthetics of the G12, especially with an X62 and a H-series case! (Still need to wait on the new H-Series release)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

NZXT have gotten back to me and have confirmed the G12 is compatible. They sent me a review off Amazon with pictures, all confirming that the G12 fits to the Gigabyte GTX1080 G1, with the backplate still fitted! Making for even better aesthetics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
NZXT have gotten back to me and have confirmed the G12 is compatible. They sent me a review off Amazon with pictures, all confirming that the G12 fits to the Gigabyte GTX1080 G1, with the backplate still fitted! Making for even better aesthetics.
Thanks for the update! However, I got impatient and bought one myself. It is working great! Dropped the temps from high 70 with loud fans to max of 57 with really quite fan curve. I am really happy with how it is working *but* I think I will end up getting some heatsinks for the VRAM/VRM just to be safe. No sure which to get tho

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi SavantStrike

I'll be sure to take a look at Enzotech, hopefully they're readily available in the UK. Thanks for the advice.
Thanks for the update! However, I got impatient and bought one myself. It is working great! Dropped the temps from high 70 with loud fans to max of 57 with really quite fan curve. I am really happy with how it is working *but* I think I will end up getting some heatsinks for the VRAM/VRM just to be safe. No sure which to get tho

F0RCE963

Savant recommended the above for the VRMs. I've ordered the H500i case, had to wait a while in the UK for it to be released. Gonna get the NZXT cooler too, will be a nice build once finished.

Have you managed to get more of an overclock out of your card? Mine sits around 2050-2100Mhz on its current overclock. Started to see issues when running benchmarking software anything higher than that. I imagine putting heatsinks on your VRMs will reduce their temperatures, potentially increasing the overclocking potential. That 57 degrees is nice and cool. I currently hit around 50-55 degrees on my i5 @5GHZ delidded on full load. The temperature reduction on the GPU compliments my CPU temps nicely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
F0RCE963

Savant recommended the above for the VRMs. I've ordered the H500i case, had to wait a while in the UK for it to be released. Gonna get the NZXT cooler too, will be a nice build once finished.

Have you managed to get more of an overclock out of your card? Mine sits around 2050-2100Mhz on its current overclock. Started to see issues when running benchmarking software anything higher than that. I imagine putting heatsinks on your VRMs will reduce their temperatures, potentially increasing the overclocking potential. That 57 degrees is nice and cool. I currently hit around 50-55 degrees on my i5 @5GHZ delidded on full load. The temperature reduction on the GPU compliments my CPU temps nicely.
I sadly haven't tried to overclock it yet, as I am still worried about the VRM/VRAM. I just checked the ones he mentioned, they are a bit expensive tho 20 euros for what I can tell 8 pieces. How many do we need? 2 sets? 40 euros is a bit too much in my opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sadly haven't tried to overclock it yet, as I am still worried about the VRM/VRAM. I just checked the ones he mentioned, they are a bit expensive tho 20 euros for what I can tell 8 pieces. How many do we need? 2 sets? 40 euros is a bit too much in my opinion.

From what I understand, many people have overclocked without VRM heatsinks with the G12 shroud on different cards in the 1080 range. It's just an extra precaution if you're at the cards limits. I believe the VRM heatsinks provide more stability, allowing you to squeeze out a better overclock or a more stable one at that.

I was only asking as a precautionary measure to be honest, they're high quality VRMs so they're capable of running hotter than 110 degrees continuous, the heatsinks will just provide you with more thermal headroom.

·
Registered
58 Posts
From what I understand, many people have overclocked without VRM heatsinks with the G12 shroud on different cards in the 1080 range. It's just an extra precaution if you're at the cards limits. I believe the VRM heatsinks provide more stability, allowing you to squeeze out a better overclock or a more stable one at that.

I was only asking as a precautionary measure to be honest, they're high quality VRMs so they're capable of running hotter than 110 degrees continuous, the heatsinks will just provide you with more thermal headroom.
What had me worried the most is the first day when I did all of this I smelled something

I overclocked it when I was still using the heatsink from gigabyte and managed to overclock the memory with an offset of +550, never had any issue with it. However, when I swapped with G12+H55 I had a very obvoius artifact, which afaik are related to unstable memory, so I have ever since been running just a small overclock/undervolt on the core clock but +0 on the memory. It could be just a bug in destiny2 that I randomly got but I wouldn't risk it since I am already getting +144 fps all the time.

I am now looking for the exact measurements of the heatsinks I need to buy, amazon has a lot of them but sadly not sure which will fit on my card with the G12 attached on

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What had me worried the most is the first day when I did all of this I smelled something

I overclocked it when I was still using the heatsink from gigabyte and managed to overclock the memory with an offset of +550, never had any issue with it. However, when I swapped with G12+H55 I had a very obvoius artifact, which afaik are related to unstable memory, so I have ever since been running just a small overclock/undervolt on the core clock but +0 on the memory. It could be just a bug in destiny2 that I randomly got but I wouldn't risk it since I am already getting +144 fps all the time.

I am now looking for the exact measurements of the heatsinks I need to buy, amazon has a lot of them but sadly not sure which will fit on my card with the G12 attached on
@F0RCE963 I've managed to clock mine stable @125+Mhz on the core and 450+ on the memory. Anything over those and I begin to see artefacts in benchmarks. Sounds like you've got a better GPU than me in terms of boosting the memory. It might be worthwhile sending an email to a heatsink supplier, like the one I mentioned in the post earlier. See what they think, or what they recommend at least. I don't imagine you'll need much clearance for fitting them. I've read on other forums that heatsinks fit easily under the G12 shroud.

What are you using for benchmarking/stressing the GPU?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts