Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing Battlefield 4 for a while tonight. To keep an eye on the temperatures of both cards, I had GPU-Z running. I kept a log file but it looks like just one of the card's stats was recorded. Anyway, my real question is in a game like that, what kind of temps should I expect for those cards?

I know the primary card will be higher than the other. I did notice that the temperature of that card reached a max of 79C.

Is that common?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Seems a tad high. See my rig in sig, Temps normally in the low to upper 60s, and the fans, on the normal profile, barely spin up. And yes, the top card runs 2-5 deg hotter than the lower card. Got good case airflow? I'm not familiar with the 540 case.

EDIT: looked at case. You'll have positive case pressure with the stock fans. IMHO, and others will argue, and based on my experience, negative case pressure works best for gamers and overclockers. Are the H420x fans intake or exhaust?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think that alittle to high, i have a pair of GTX970 G1 and i dont think both cards ever pass 65 but i will test them out right now and i will report back

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was difficult for me to switch between the game and keeping tabs on GPU-Z....damn program kept on closing out on me but I figured out how to keep it on top of everything.

I'll run through it again and see what happens. Maybe increase the fan speed of the case fans one of which blows directly over the cards.

I might've also read that temperature wrong.

I don't quite understand GPU-Z's temp logs yet
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post

It was difficult for me to switch between the game and keeping tabs on GPU-Z....damn program kept on closing out on me but I figured out how to keep it on top of everything.

I'll run through it again and see what happens. Maybe increase the fan speed of the case fans one of which blows directly over the cards.

I might've also read that temperature wrong.

I don't quite understand GPU-Z's temp logs yet
biggrin.gif
You can use HWMonitor to log temps, has a simple, even for me
biggrin.gif
, interface.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well 1 card was running at 67 and the 2nd was 54, seen on my G510 lcd screen, keep in mind that i also changed the paste on both card, hope this helps
thumb.gif

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a second playing of Battlefield did show the temp of the primary card as high as 75C

The temp log it records doesn't show any number higher than 70C. ***??

EDIT....
biggrin.gif

I have a Corsair 540 case, those two Gigabyte 980 G1's, and an Asus Rampage Extreme V mobo.

Now I'm seeing that it got as high as 80C but that was during some intense fighting.

I'm hoping that I'm not abnormally high.

Damn....I got a lot to learn
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did see a review on GTX 980 SLI during Battlefield 4 and the temps did max out at 83c.

I think I'm golden
thumb.gif

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
He's fine, he's running a demanding resolution, 4k, not 1080p, and gpu's have to work harder to maintain frames and are probably constantly pegged 99% thus more heat heat. With my 2 x 660's my top card would get to 85C in more demanding titles, and that wasn't even at Ultra, mix of medium/high.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post

I did see a review on GTX 980 SLI during Battlefield 4 and the temps did max out at 83c.

I think I'm golden
thumb.gif

Opinions?
it's high but not abnormal. Is your room temperature 20-25C or higher? If it's still winter for you, could be a problem during the summer.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may have been reading GPU-Z's readings wrong.....

Before I was looking at each card's highest reading and it was always at 80c
I just checked off "show current temperature" and it never went higher than 76c
and that matched up perfectly with the temperature reading of Gigabyte's OC Guru temp readings.

A rough estimate on my computer room temp puts it at around 19-20C

Also I did some Heaven benchmarking and the highest temperature on the primary card was around 74-76c

·
Always flyin' to high...
315 Posts
Temps seem normal.

In SOM and FC4 I get temps like that as well (75-80*) playing at 1600p and maxed out with my 970's so would think the 980's would be about the same. More so when my room is warm. Making a fan profile might bring it down a little but will make it louder too...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I just realized too, after reading some information that you guys posted here....especially when I realized I was reading them wrong.

Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusLSC View Post

Temps seem normal.

In SOM and FC4 I get temps like that as well (75-80*) playing at 1600p and maxed out with my 970's so would think the 980's would be about the same. More so when my room is warm. Making a fan profile might bring it down a little but will make it louder too...
If I did my fan profile right, I was able to drop the primary GPUs temperature during Battlefield 4 10 deg C!
Noisy though but I won't hear it with my headphones in
biggrin.gif

Also, how difficult is it to remove the Windforce coolers and reapply better thermal paste?

·
Always flyin' to high...
315 Posts
A couple screws on the backplate, 4 on the cooler and it comes off the 970s. Watch the led plugs.
I changed mine fwiw but it made no difference, tried both Noctua and AC Ceramique.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusLSC View Post

A couple screws on the backplate, 4 on the cooler and it comes off the 970s. Watch the led plugs.
I changed mine fwiw but it made no difference, tried both Noctua and AC Ceramique.
I've heard that people would take off the coolers and find that the paste was poorly applied.That's what got me thinking.

But if I can consistently drop the load temps 5 degrees through a different fan profile, then I'd be happy. I'll put up with some of the racket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts