Overclock.net banner

7901 - 7920 of 7925 Posts

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,902
Hello i have SLI zotac amp extremes 980ti you have custom bios??thanks a lot
Hi there, no... but I do remember there being a "fire" something app that is needed (you probably alread know about it). You can take any one of the 980Ti AIR BIOS' in the first post and open it side by side with a copy of your BIOS. If you did not unlock your BIOS yet to reveal the hidden sliders then that must be done first. If you need help unlocking it let me know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there, no... but I do remember there being a "fire" something app that is needed (you probably alread know about it). You can take any one of the 980Ti AIR BIOS' in the first post and open it side by side with a copy of your BIOS. If you did not unlock your BIOS yet to reveal the hidden sliders then that must be done first. If you need help unlocking it let me know.
Seriously, after all these years you are still doing this? All the Kudos to you. You dedication is truly an inspiration. I'm still with my 980TI G1 and she's served me well. Did I mention her ASIC Quality is 84.3%? ...Anyway,

I'm sure Navi or Ampere are going to be fantastic so I'm revisiting your thread to see if I can push my baby a bit further ONE LAST TIME. I've been reading through it and I'm page 143(MUMOD V4) but started at 80. I'm looking for your latest\last MUMOD BIOS (D_P).

Possibly point me in the right direction?
Thank you again for your YEARS of dedication.

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,904
Seriously, after all these years you are still doing this? All the Kudos to you. You dedication is truly an inspiration. I'm still with my 980TI G1 and she's served me well. Did I mention her ASIC Quality is 84.3%? ...Anyway,

I'm sure Navi or Ampere are going to be fantastic so I'm revisiting your thread to see if I can push my baby a bit further ONE LAST TIME. I've been reading through it and I'm page 143(MUMOD V4) but started at 80. I'm looking for your latest\last MUMOD BIOS (D_P).

Possibly point me in the right direction?
Thank you again for your YEARS of dedication.
:)
It's been a fun ride. Ty, I really appreciate your kind words.

I just sold my 980Ti's, few pages back I gave the final goodbye to the original GPUs. I've got a 2080Ti now only because I'm primarily using 4K now but for 1080p the 980Ti is still top notch. I'd love to see a 980Ti w/MUMOD O/C -vs- GTX 1660 Ti/Super. ;)

The original release is the latest and what is also posted in the OP :) I kept it updated (before the site migration, now it is a mess lol).

Any questions be happy to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:)
It's been a fun ride. Ty, I really appreciate your kind words.

I just sold my 980Ti's, few pages back I gave the final goodbye to the original GPUs. I've got a 2080Ti now only because I'm primarily using 4K now but for 1080p the 980Ti is still top notch. I'd love to see a 980Ti w/MUMOD O/C -vs- GTX 1660 Ti/Super. ;)

The original release is the latest and what is also posted in the OP :) I kept it updated (before the site migration, now it is a mess lol).

Any questions be happy to help.
You have true patience. Gratz on the big boy 2080 TI, wife will not let me spend that kind of cash but I'm glad you got one yourself. I remember reading this when there were only 50 pages, exciting times!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding the download. Slightly embraced that I thought there were newer ones later on(not sure why I thought that). Good news is those are the ones I've been using for a little over a year now.

As for your request, TimeSpy is in ?!? so check it out. I'll add both single and SLI.

I'll be following you for sure, and your next purchase.
Take care!

Attachments

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,906
You have true patience. Gratz on the big boy 2080 TI, wife will not let me spend that kind of cash but I'm glad you got one yourself. I remember reading this when there were only 50 pages, exciting times!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding the download. Slightly embraced that I thought there were newer ones later on(not sure why I thought that). Good news is those are the ones I've been using for a little over a year now.

As for your request, TimeSpy is in ?!? so check it out. I'll add both single and SLI.

I'll be following you for sure, and your next purchase.
Take care!
Nah, never needed to update them, did all the testing in beta ;)

I didn't think of using the 3DM DB, good idea. The CPU used makes a huge difference. I actually found a comparison that is sort of interesting. I have an E5-1680V2, it is an 8 core/16 thread unlocked CPU which is IVY-e. I didn't find anyone else with the same CPU as me with a 1660Ti so I went up to Haswell with the 5960X which is also an 8 core/16 thread and they are back to back generations and have similar specs. Unfortunatly my test was with SLI so I don't have a single GPU score but if we just assume 100% SLI utilization (generous) and double the scores of the competitor, it is a somewhat close comparison. I was able to clock my 980Ti's @ 1600Mhz easy.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18731792/fs/17174849

:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Laithan. As i understand you're quite the veteran regarding the 980ti g1 gaming. I would like to pick your brain on something...
I came in the possession of a Gigabyte 980TI G1 Gaming from a friend who himself bought it second hand. The card works... somewhat. I get almost instant/constant freezes in 3d applications which always require a 5 sec press of the shut-down button. I have the same outcome on both bioses. Temps are not the issue for sure, power supply is ok too. It does the same thing on a different system/configuration as well.

Reading the original post got me a little intrigued/worried:

"Flashing a DD BIOS to a DP slot or flashing a DP BIOS to a DD slot will partially brick the GPU. You SHOULD NOT flash an F4 version to an F10 GPU - You SHOULD NOT flash an F10 version to an F4 GPU".

Now here's the kicker:
The original owner messed with the BIOS and i have the following:
When connected through DVI-D i have bios version 84.00.36.00.6D which is DD/f4
When connected through DVI-I i have bios version 84.00.41.00.34 which is DD/f10
Happy day, right? :|
In the OP there's a pic with what bios goes where, and as i understand it DD goes to DVI-D and DP goes to DVI-I(please correct me if i'm wrong)

All i want is a normal stock card(for now anyway, overclocking not on my mind at this point, maybe later if i can get this thing to work properly)
How in the heck do i go about doing this? What bios goes where in my case?

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,908 (Edited)
Hi Laithan. As i understand you're quite the veteran regarding the 980ti g1 gaming. I would like to pick your brain on something...
I came in the possession of a Gigabyte 980TI G1 Gaming from a friend who himself bought it second hand. The card works... somewhat. I get almost instant/constant freezes in 3d applications which always require a 5 sec press of the shut-down button. I have the same outcome on both bioses. Temps are not the issue for sure, power supply is ok too. It does the same thing on a different system/configuration as well.

Reading the original post got me a little intrigued/worried:

"Flashing a DD BIOS to a DP slot or flashing a DP BIOS to a DD slot will partially brick the GPU. You SHOULD NOT flash an F4 version to an F10 GPU - You SHOULD NOT flash an F10 version to an F4 GPU".

Now here's the kicker:
The original owner messed with the BIOS and i have the following:
When connected through DVI-D i have bios version 84.00.36.00.6D which is DD/f4
When connected through DVI-I i have bios version 84.00.41.00.34 which is DD/f10
Happy day, right? :|
In the OP there's a pic with what bios goes where, and as i understand it DD goes to DVI-D and DP goes to DVI-I(please correct me if i'm wrong)

All i want is a normal stock card(for now anyway, overclocking not on my mind at this point, maybe later if i can get this thing to work properly)
How in the heck do i go about doing this? What bios goes where in my case?

Hi there... well, the good news is that it shouldn't really be a big deal but yeah it seems that someone didn't check to see which BIOS version the GPU had (stock) before flashing it with the MUMOD BIOS. You can use GPU-z to show you which kind of memory is on the board (assuming GPU-z isn't reading it FROM the BIOS... hmmm, not sure about that) otherwise you can see the memory type when you remove the cooler. This will likely be the most reliable way to determine which BIOS the GPU should have. Then you can just grab the stock BIOS from gigabyte (use NVFLASH v5.218). The reason that there are different BIOS' for the same card is primarily due to the brand/spec of memory used. This could be due to slightly different timings, voltages etc. because obviously if the same BIOS settings were "just fine" for all memory brands they would have used the same F4 BIOS for all but they don't so there is a reason to be using the correct one. The 980Ti's originally shipped with Hynix memory but later they released a Samsung version. All in all for the most part they are the same GPU so using the "wrong" BIOS is not going to really hurt anything except using the "wrong" memory settings for the memory actually installed on the GPU.

The danger is really never with what version of the BIOS is being used, but rather if the DD or DP BIOS is being used.... which can change automatically, based on the monitors connected/turned on/being used. If the DD BIOS is flashed to the DP slot (or vice versa) then some monitor outputs may not work appearing as if the GPU is bricked.

This is the Flex guide mapped to which BIOS
https://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2744214/

Sadly, the modified BIOS is likely not your issue.... assuming you are not overclocking at all (just hit RESET in MSI AB, max both sliders and you'll be @ default clocks because it is already much higher than a stock BIOS) it could be many things but with a used card that is this old, the first thing I would do is disassemble the cooler (it is SUPER easy and fast) and replace the TIM and thermal pads on the GPU. You can get some decent pads from Thermal Grizzly or EK. I have seen this cause all kinds of issues if it is dried/cracked and creating hotspots that cannot be measured in software.

I think I used .5mm for the VRM and 1.0mm pads for the memory.

Good luck, let us know how you make out :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My card has hynix memory. That means i need the F4 bioses. So, i should replace the D_D F10 bios with D_P F4 on the DVI-I side, and leave the other D_D F4 where it's at. Please confirm this. I really don't want to mess this up.

Ok, before i do anything let me add a little context on how this card behaves:
I can run a game(Path of exile) without crashing, anything else i have including benchmarks don't make it, at stock clocks anyway(more on this later)
So, at stock clocks this game runs like this:

It switches between P-states constantly, alternating between P2 and P5 (no P0 in sight)
PerfCap reason pwr, pwr Vrel respectively.

I attached a GPU-Z log file for this: "GPU-Z POE Log"

Now, if i slightly downclock the card (-45mhz core, -101mhz memory) i don't get crashes, but the performance is crap in everything. This time it switches between state P0 and P5, but the P0 state clocks are definetly not right: see "GPU-Z underclock Log" for this.

Interestingly, if i run something that requires flash player(browser game, etc) gpu-z gives me this:
Steady clocks, P0 state at default clock speeds, no underclock here.

I tried to cheat it by running a 3D app while this flash player was in the background. Nope, i get ups and downs like before. Sigh :|. Soon as i leave the 3D app, clocks go stable as seen above.
I also attached a log file where i used gpu-z renderer to stress the card at stock speeds and have it crash. I don't know if it logged any hint about the crash, but i put it here anyway "GPU-Z Render Log"

Heaving said all this, do you think a custom bios would help me here? Both current bioses seem unaltered, except the ddF10 has some custom fan curve, but that's nothing to write home about.

Attachments

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,910 (Edited)
My card has hynix memory. That means i need the F4 bioses. So, i should replace the D_D F10 bios with D_P F4 on the DVI-I side, and leave the other D_D F4 where it's at. Please confirm this. I really don't want to mess this up.
Yes, assuming you are aware of how to "switch" from DD to DP (vice versa) as there is no physical BIOS switch.

What I see from your logs is a power delivery problem. This is obvious from the PWR perfcaps but the log tells a more detailed story. Your GPU hasn't ever exceeded 70% TDP, which is basically showing that it is starved for power. Every time the GPU attempts to boost, which requires an increased power draw, it is unable to "pull" the power it needs and therefore repeatedly power throttles. This will cause the voltage to be unable to reach its highest capability as well, so the cause is lack of power and the side affect is limited voltage.

A 980Ti with the MUMOD BIOS is capable of drawing up to 475W of power maximum.. You'll almost never reach this but it is possible. 200W maximum for each 8-pin PCI-e cable and 75W maximum for the PCI-e slot. I forget (been a while) but I think the stock BIOS is limited to 300W max or something like that.

The attached excel spreadsheet (pivot tab) will help you see that at each GPU boost speed (Mhz) the power consumption never really exceeds 70%... where it would be normal to see well over 100% TDP (estimation is that you are losing 30%-50% overall power). Looking closer (you can play around with the pivot) you can also see that the power issue is present on both 8-pin PCI-e cables as well as the PCI-e slot. I could be wrong but this information tells me that you've likely got a hardware issue here. If it was showing a power delivery problem on one of the 3 sources of power then it could be a bad cable, bad PCI-e slot, MB needs PCI-e supplemental power etc... but when all three of the power sources are not able to utilize (pull) all of the power allowed and the GPU is complaining of being starved for power, there is literally something preventing the power delivery from occurring and I think it is hardware based.

It goes withouth saying, IF you are using any PCI-e splitters/adapters/combiners... DON'T... and of course the PSU needs to be beefy enough (750W bare minimum). All PCI-e cables should be a dedicated 8-pin, straight run to the PSU directly.

I can only guess as to what the true cause is but you can figure it out through process of elimination:
(1) Try the GPU in another PC if you can.. if you see the same behavior then you have ruled out the PSU, cables, MB etc all in one test. You never know.
(2) Inspect the PCI-e solder joints for any cold solders or cracked solder. A weak connection would appear to work @ idle but unable to pass a lot of current @ load.
(3) Remove the cooler and inspect the GPU. You may find a damaged component or I guess possibly the TIM/PADS could be missing/dried/cracked and something is quickly overheating (but I don't think so at this point). It cannot hurt to look.

Was a power shunt mod ever done to this card? I'm not suggesting that you do it (we can modify the BIOS, so it is not necessary) but if one was done, that should be removed.

Good luck and I hope you can get it sorted.
Let us know

/*!
* Power. Indicating perf is limited by total power limit.
*/
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_POWER = 1,
/*!
* Thermal. Indicating perf is limited by temperature limit.
*/
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_THERMAL = 2,
/*!
* Reliability. Indicating perf is limited by reliability voltage.
*/
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_RELIABILITY = 4,
/*!
* Operating. Indicating perf is limited by max operating voltage.
*/
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_OPERATING = 8,
/*!
* Utilization. Indicating perf is limited by GPU utilization.
*/
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_UTILIZATION = 16,

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, me nor my friend messed with the card, that's for sure. Must have been the original owner, he wouldn't have said anything though, probably just wanted to get rid of the card. My friend got a really good deal on it(should have been a sign right there maybe?). My friend didn't use it for games though, so he wasn't faced with the problem. Only much later he tried some games and they froze on him. And he has a really beefy system too, with a 1200W evga power supply. My system is mediocre now, but i didn't skimp on the components or power supply. It's a superflower leadex II 80+ Gold 650W.
I don't use any splitters, adapters and what not, it's all directly from de PS, and nothing else is improvised. Oh well, i guess the next step is to take it apart and take some measurements. Will keep you posted

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm having weird issues after buying a new monitor that connects to DisplayPort. Previously, I used a DVI-D connection with a modified DD BIOS for my Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming.

Now when I connect the DisplayPort to either the DD or DP BIOS group/switch I'm getting default factory clocks and opening MSI AfterBurner confirms that I don't have my previous profiles loaded or the ability to uncap BIOS limits - GPU-z will display VRel as a perfcap.

Furthermore, Youtube seems to have gone and messed itself up too, but it was working with the new monitor before, I don't know what broke it. I can load videos but they look like a garbled mess. I tried to uninstall my drivers (newest version btw), and after rebooting I couldn't get a signal. Managed to install the driver via TeamViewer (after jumping through their annoying "Commercial use" limitations) and at least I have picture.
Plus, I don't see the POST screen, and can't enter BIOS settings...

Any help?

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,913 (Edited)
I'm having weird issues after buying a new monitor that connects to DisplayPort. Previously, I used a DVI-D connection with a modified DD BIOS for my Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming.

Now when I connect the DisplayPort to either the DD or DP BIOS group/switch I'm getting default factory clocks and opening MSI AfterBurner confirms that I don't have my previous profiles loaded or the ability to uncap BIOS limits - GPU-z will display VRel as a perfcap.

Furthermore, Youtube seems to have gone and messed itself up too, but it was working with the new monitor before, I don't know what broke it. I can load videos but they look like a garbled mess. I tried to uninstall my drivers (newest version btw), and after rebooting I couldn't get a signal. Managed to install the driver via TeamViewer (after jumping through their annoying "Commercial use" limitations) and at least I have picture.
Plus, I don't see the POST screen, and can't enter BIOS settings...

Any help?
Hmmm... Where do I begin lol

I see different issues here:

(1) BIOS values changed despite having the MUMOD BIOS flashed: It sounds to me like the BIOS you are intending to use is changing as the BIOS used is controlled by the display outputs connected @ power on. Let's theortically say (may or may not match yours, but explains how it works) that the DD BIOS was flashed with the MUMOD BIOS.. changing monitor outputs from using DVI to DP is likely going to now trigger the DP BIOS to load @ power on. The fact that you are seeing stock clocks is because that BIOS is still STOCK on that BIOS slot. You have to flash the MUMOD BIOS to both DD and DP BIOS slots if you want it to be modded regardless of which display output is used (especially if you change them often as with a projector or a VR setup). This is always confusing and a PIA for Gigabyte cards but that's how "Flex display" works.

(2) No video @ post when using certain outputs: This can be even further confused if by any chance the DD BIOS was flashed to the DP slot, or the DP BIOS was flashed to the DD spot. Since there is no physical switch, this happened more often than anyone wanted. If this is done wrong, some outputs will work while some others will not. This ALSO could be an issue fixed by this firmware for DP itself: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

** Notice that DVI-D is ONLY possible using the DD BIOS? This is a good way to connect your GPU to make SURE it is loading the DD BIOS.
** Notice that the first two DP ports are ONLY possible using the DP BIOS? Using one of those ports is a good way to make SURE it is loading the DP BIOS.
You can do this and then use GPU-z to extract the BIOS and check if the DD BIOS is loaded to the DD slot and the DP BIOS is loaded to the DP spot.
Another trick to load the DP BIOS is to use a single HDMI connection (even if HDMI -> DVI adapter is used). This will always select the DP BIOS when using HDMI only.

(3) As far as the corrupted display, this COULD be because of a very rare issue where a BIOS has been modified but the overclocking app's profile of the previous BIOS values are loaded. That probably didn't make sense, so here is what can happen and how to fix it (it is not going to be fixed by drivers). Let's say that you flash a custom BIOS to your GPU and that custom BIOS has different power, voltage, default and boost clocks than the STOCK BIOS. You configure the GPU how you want it and then you save to a profile slot. Then let's say you reverted back to the STOCK BIOS and booted into windows where the profile of the modified BIOS is now loaded. This is going to apply values to your GPU that may not match the BIOS and I have seen odd things like this happen. It is rare but it is almost always when a BIOS is changed on the same GPU installed in the system but the overclocking app's profile wasn't deleted first so it thinks it is the same GPU and applies values that are not correct for the BIOS being used.

To fix this, just boot into windows and UNINSTALL MSI AB/EVGA Precision and the MOST important thing is to REMOVE ALL SETTINGS when asked. You don't want to save anything. Then reboot and all should be fine again. Now you can just re-install the same MSI AB/EVGA PRECISION and set everything up over again. You can also manually remove the profiles but it is easy enough just to uninstall.

Let me know how it goes.
:thumb:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

(1) BIOS values changed despite having the MUMOD BIOS flashed: It sounds to me like the BIOS you are intending to use is changing as the BIOS used is controlled by the display outputs connected @ power on. Let's theortically say (may or may not match yours, but explains how it works) that the DD BIOS was flashed with the MUMOD BIOS.. changing monitor outputs from using DVI to DP is likely going to now trigger the DP BIOS to load @ power on. The fact that you are seeing stock clocks is because that BIOS is still STOCK on that BIOS slot. You have to flash the MUMOD BIOS to both DD and DP BIOS slots if you want it to be modded regardless of which display output is used (especially if you change them often as with a projector or a VR setup). This is always confusing and a PIA for Gigabyte cards but that's how "Flex display" works.

Ah, I see the problem. Since I'm only using DisplayPort, there's no guaranteed way to switch to a DD BIOS (the only one I modified before) since the DD BIOS DisplayPort is actually a "Schrodinger cat" situation since it can be both a DD and DP switch. Currently, I'm being forced to boot a DP BIOS regardless of which DisplayPort I plug the monitor in. I will flash the MUMOD DP BIOS and see how it goes.

(2) No video @ post when using certain outputs: This can be even further confused if by any chance the DD BIOS was flashed to the DP slot, or the DP BIOS was flashed to the DD spot. Since there is no physical switch, this happened more often than anyone wanted. If this is done wrong, some outputs will work while some others will not. This ALSO could be an issue fixed by this firmware for DP itself: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/
This looks to have solved the issue. I seem to remember trying to run the DisplayPort FW update before when I was using a DVI connection, but the tool (I don't remember if it was the one you posted) reported that there's no update needed. Now it applied the update and I can see the POST logo.

(3) As far as the corrupted display, this COULD be because of a very rare issue where a BIOS has been modified but the overclocking app's profile of the previous BIOS values are loaded. That probably didn't make sense, so here is what can happen and how to fix it (it is not going to be fixed by drivers). Let's say that you flash a custom BIOS to your GPU and that custom BIOS has different power, voltage, default and boost clocks than the STOCK BIOS. You configure the GPU how you want it and then you save to a profile slot. Then let's say you reverted back to the STOCK BIOS and booted into windows where the profile of the modified BIOS is now loaded. This is going to apply values to your GPU that may not match the BIOS and I have seen odd things like this happen. It is rare but it is almost always when a BIOS is changed on the same GPU installed in the system but the overclocking app's profile wasn't deleted first so it thinks it is the same GPU and applies values that are not correct for the BIOS being used.

To fix this, just boot into windows and UNINSTALL MSI AB/EVGA Precision and the MOST important thing is to REMOVE ALL SETTINGS when asked. You don't want to save anything. Then reboot and all should be fine again. Now you can just re-install the same MSI AB/EVGA PRECISION and set everything up over again. You can also manually remove the profiles but it is easy enough just to uninstall.
I uninstalled MSI AB and removed all its settings but the issue with YouTube persist. I'll keep experimenting with this, if all else fails I'll reinstall Windows.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Update: flashed the DP BIOS, verified my clock settings/power limits (or lack thereof) and all is well in that department. But now the DisplayPort firmware is out of date again (didn't know the BIOS file contains DisplayPort FW as well). Running the nVidia DP firmware update tool results in an error this time. Is there a way to incorporate the latest DisplayPort FW into the modified BIOS and flashing it with nvflash?

Also, turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome is a workaround for my YouTube issues. Haven't figured out why exactly it's a problem now all of a sudden.

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,916 (Edited)
Update: flashed the DP BIOS, verified my clock settings/power limits (or lack thereof) and all is well in that department. But now the DisplayPort firmware is out of date again (didn't know the BIOS file contains DisplayPort FW as well). Running the nVidia DP firmware update tool results in an error this time. Is there a way to incorporate the latest DisplayPort FW into the modified BIOS and flashing it with nvflash?

Also, turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome is a workaround for my YouTube issues. Haven't figured out why exactly it's a problem now all of a sudden.
Cool, making progress
Are you still having the issue not seeing video @ post?

May want to double check the DD and DP again to make sure.

The BIOS' are just copies of the stock BIOS' and I didn't modify anything other than power, voltage and CLK values for the most part. AFAIK the DP firmware was not included otherwise this seperate download would not be required (my 980Ti's are gone now so I cannot check this).

Does it play games and run benchmarks ok? Just Chrome? If not ONLY Chrome I might try DDU first and then reload the latest drivers.

If ONLY with Chrome, zap it and do a fresh install.

Also, make yourself a bootable Win10 (free and easy to make) so you can boot into a fresh O/S, load the drivers and see what happens.

Ah, I see the problem. Since I'm only using DisplayPort, there's no guaranteed way to switch to a DD BIOS (the only one I modified before) since the DD BIOS DisplayPort is actually a "Schrodinger cat" situation since it can be both a DD and DP switch. Currently, I'm being forced to boot a DP BIOS regardless of which DisplayPort I plug the monitor in. I will flash the MUMOD DP BIOS and see how it goes.
If you use the display ports all the way on the end (the ones not active in the DD BIOS) it should force the DP BIOS so you know for sure it is running DP and not the DD slot with a DP BIOS. I do think that a single display port would most likely use a DP BIOS but it might depend on which of the 3 ports are used. I want to mention that sometimes the GPU may force you to use a different display port if they are not all populated. You can test yourself, if you get no video unplug and try a different port one by one in those situations should no video occur, same symptom but different reason. It's not clearly documented which combinations require you to use which ports since there are 3 of them you just have to experiment. I always had 3 display ports and HDMI populated at the same time so I didn't have any unused.

The biggest thing is to ensure that you are not using the DD slot with a DP BIOS. The only way to make sure which one is loaded is to use the ports that are exclusive to force it to load. Also I wonder if you need to run the update on EACH display port.. I wouldn't think so but maybe..

For anyone following along, DP BIOS does not stand for display port. It is just a coincidence so I tried not to refer to display port as DP but I had to edit a few places lol..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Cool, making progress
Are you still having the issue not seeing video @ post?
Unfortunately I'm still having no video @ post. The sequence of events was:
-with stock DP BIOS (before flashing MUMOD), ran the nVidia tool and updated the FW. That fixed no video @ post.
-flashed MUMOD DP BIOS, now no video @ post. Ran the tool again, it says I need to update DisplayPort FW (again), but now it errors out.

As for the DP BIOS and Chrome issue, all is fixed. DP BIOS is now applied, so now I have both BIOSes modded. Games run well too. I was worried that I didn't mix up the BIOS flash but all is well.

Chrome issue was related to GPU Shader cache. Deleted it and now it works with HW acceleration.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hopefully a final update. The nVidia tool for updating DisplayPort firmware seems to try and reapply/re-flash the BIOS as well when updating the DisplayPort FW and likely fails because the BIOS is unsigned.
I've switched to HDMI, since it's the easiest solution for no video @ post.

Thanks again for replying.

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,919 (Edited)
Unfortunately I'm still having no video @ post. The sequence of events was:
-with stock DP BIOS (before flashing MUMOD), ran the nVidia tool and updated the FW. That fixed no video @ post.
-flashed MUMOD DP BIOS, now no video @ post. Ran the tool again, it says I need to update DisplayPort FW (again), but now it errors out.

As for the DP BIOS and Chrome issue, all is fixed. DP BIOS is now applied, so now I have both BIOSes modded. Games run well too. I was worried that I didn't mix up the BIOS flash but all is well.

Chrome issue was related to GPU Shader cache. Deleted it and now it works with HW acceleration.
Did you also try switching to a different display port output at when there is no post? I have seen where it can be picky which one is used when all are not populated.

I may have had to revert to the STOCK BIOS to run the tool also.. I don't remember it was so long ago. Variances could be which display is being used at the time of the update or possibly if the MUMOD BIOS was newer than your original BIOS. For example they shipped with the F3 BIOS, and have since released an F4 BIOS (if yours isn't based on F10). If you ran the tool and it worked with the F3 BIOS but the modified BIOS is now the F4 BIOS, maybe that throws something off. So you MIGHT have to flash the STOCK F4 BIOS, update the display port firmware with the F4 STOCK BIOS and THEN flash the modified F4 BIOS. It might be worth a try.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-releases-firmware-update-tool-to-support-displayport-1-3-and-1-4-displays.421406/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/8oxeh2/display_port_firmware_update/
https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-releases-a-gpu-firmware-update-tool-to-support-4k-hdr-monitors/

"Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot.
The NVIDIA Firmware Updater will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it.
If you are currently experiencing a blank screen or hang on boot with a DP 1.3 or 1.4 monitor, please try one of the following workarounds in order to run the tool:

Boot using DVI or HDMI
Boot using a different monitor
Change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy; or Legacy to UEFI.
Boot using an alternate graphics source (secondary or integrated graphics card)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you also try switching to a different display port output at when there is no post? I have seen where it can be picky which one is used when all are not populated.
I've tried all DisplayPorts, and they exhibited the same issue of no post screen. Just to be clear, I had the "blank screens on boot until the OS loads" issue.

If I have any new findings I'll post an update in this thread.

7901 - 7920 of 7925 Posts