Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am posting this here because the people in the subforum are pretty knowledgeable, and many have used the components im about to list.

So 9 months ago I built my first iTx gaming computer (Specs will be at bottom). Everything has been going great up until about 2 weeks ago.

While playing CSS (counter-strike source) my computer just shut down. It shut down like it would if it a. overheated or b. lost power. There was no BSOD, lockup or freeze, or any noise at all just powered down. I know my CPU didnt overheat as I am using a puss/pull H60 on an i3 550. I quickly opened up my case and some stuff was warm, but with my IR thermometer nothing was hot (>55c).

I then unplugged the power and let it sit, plugged it back in but nothing. I kept doing this and eventually it powered up everything fine.

...No not really now starting yesterday it did again while idling, same issue.

What is weird is that if left alone it magically powers back up again. So i thought maybe the front switch panel was shorting so i unplugged everything including the USB header, and am using an old switch wire. Also things plugged into the usb ie my hdd, keyboard (ps2), and wifi adapter all show power but the comp just dosnt turn on.

My fear is that the PSU is going bad. So i ask this, has anyone experienced a similar problem with this mobo or PSU? What can i do before i have to rip my other PSU out of my main comp to test with this computer?

Thanks and specs below

SG05 - 450w
i3 550 3.2ghz
4gb Corsair ddr3 1600
Galaxy GTX 465
H60 Push/Pull GT Ap-13
Gigabyte H55n-usb3

-doober

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have none "laying" around, so the only one I can use is in my main rig and basically my whole computer has to comp apart to get it out ;(

if thats my best option ill do that tonight. lets say it is faulty can i get a replacement some how? as it is not an atx psu is my only replacement buying another http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256063 or can i rma it to silverstone?

thanks

also im at work so my attention to this thread is intermittent

-doober

·
Registered
855 Posts
try switching your PSU upside down, so the fan is facing the top of the case, taking in fresh air.

might help

(that's how I installed the PSU in a friends SG06 build, better have the PSU take in fresh cool air, rather than the hot air circulating in the case.)

·
Registered
416 Posts
sounds like a short, especially if it powered up on your own. I would re-seat the mobo on the standoffs, and check your power button (cable, connections, button)

Im on a nearly identical system atm(not my sig rig) and the only problem I had was trying to draw too much power from the psu, but your rig should not be drawing too much

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3waker;15217036
sounds like a short, especially if it powered up on your own. I would re-seat the mobo on the standoffs, and check your power button (cable, connections, button)

Im on a nearly identical system atm(not my sig rig) and the only problem I had was trying to draw too much power from the psu, but your rig should not be drawing too much
this is exactly what I was thinking. I already detached all the internal connectors that are not necessary. next I think ill unplug every device, and then power it up but leave everything unplugged

i got to get home from work first ahhhh

thanks

-doober

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE

after many tests, it turned out to be a bad memory module. This is the second set of corsair memory if seen go bad, and im not overclocking or overvolting. I replaced the memory with a new kit and everything is fine again
smile.gif
woot.

-doober

1 - 8 of 8 Posts