HT [auto]
k8 [x10]

now here's the confusing part, the cpu/ddr ratios show as the following:
[2/2]
[2/1.8]
[2/1.6]
[2/1.3]
[2/1]

luckily, when you select the different ratios, it will calculate the DDR speed for you in a field below. however, the problems i have are:
what exactly is the mathematical formula for including the cpu/ddr ratio to calculate ddr speed? what i figure is FSB x 2 / ratio (1 or 1.3 or 1.6 or 1.8 or 2). but for some reason, on paper, i can't seem to get the same calculations that my BIOS gets.

my board is rated at 1600mhz, which i figure would be 200mhz x 8, however, when i set the ht multiplier to manual, it only shows multipliers up to 5.

when i overclock the fsb, say to 250mhz ( x's 10 = 2500mhz), lower the ht multiplier to 4 (250 x 4 = 1000mhz, well below the factory 1600mhz), then lower the ddr ratio to 2/1.3 (which BIOS calculates the ddr speed to be under 400), i get the inevitable gigabyte error on reboot. (over cpu clock speed right now!! if overclock press delete key next time) horrible grammar, i can't even understand what they are trying to say there.

gigabyte's site has not been any help to me since the only thing i can find is them stating that the ht multiplier and ddr speeds need to be changed to stay below spec, which i've done. i've googled several different things, with no avail.

anyone have any insight on this board and overclocking it?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
The divider settings just need to be turned the other way around.
Eg. 1.8/2=0.9 * FSB = Ram Speed.

You should keep the HTT rating below 1000Mhz. Not sure if that's a typo of 1600Mhz or whether the board can handle it. Either way, 1000Mhz is overkill so no point going to 1600Mhz. Your PC just can't generate enough info to warrant this much bandwidth

You're crashing because your unstable. You've kept your ram under spec, but your CPU has jumped from 2Ghz to 2.5Ghz without any extra voltage. Try adding some more vcore until stable. Make sure to keep temps around 50°C and wouldn't really push it any higher then 55°C

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

The divider settings just need to be turned the other way around.
Eg. 1.8/2=0.9 * FSB = Ram Speed.

ahh, that makes more sense.

so then at 250FSB, using the 2/1.6 setting, would be 250 x 2 x (1.6/2) = 400mhz on the DDR.

Quote:

You should keep the HTT rating below 1000Mhz. Not sure if that's a typo of 1600Mhz or whether the board can handle it. Either way, 1000Mhz is overkill so no point going to 1600Mhz. Your PC just can't generate enough info to warrant this much bandwidth

idk, the specs on the board say 1600mhz, unless they are doubling that some how and it's really 800mhz, but even so, if it's 800mhz, and the HTT multiplier is 5 at the stock 200mhz, that's still 1000mhz.
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard..._GA-K8NF-9.htm

Quote:

You're crashing because your unstable. You've kept your ram under spec, but your CPU has jumped from 2Ghz to 2.5Ghz without any extra voltage. Try adding some more vcore until stable. Make sure to keep temps around 50°C and wouldn't really push it any higher then 55°C

ok, i'll try gradually stepping up voltage.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i've tried just about everything to get it to work, and it won't.

in a last ditch effort, i'm going to try to reflash the bios to an earlier version. the things i've been reading about people who are able to oc this board, have versions F1 and F2 bios', where as i have F11.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It depends wish cpu you are OC'n . Because my 64bit 3200 had no problems to go on stock vcore to 2,4 Ghz but my new X2 3200 not and it is the same mb. And the F11 bios is ****ed up. take the F10 or an earlier version. I'm trying to do an oc to 2,4Gz with the F10 worked fine with the F6 (vcore 1,5) .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts