Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i've had 2 gigabyte boards, low end and mid range (I consider it midrange at least)

G31T - for stock settings was fine. Would not OC NOT EVEN ONE MHZ

P35-S3G - Gets decent clocks (e2180 and e6400 to 3.2 ghz) but WILL NOT KEEP OVERCLOCK SETTINGS. Once it boots it runs stable. Once you shut down or restart you have to fight with bios to get the OC to stick and boot (I thought my e6400 was degrading, but on testing with my older asus P5B mb its rock stable with no booting issues at 3.2 ghz there)

So i'm adding Gigabyte to my mb manufacturer avoid list
:

1> ECS - on here due to a 31m chipset that for some reason set a 200 gig ide wd hd to eide mode 1 and was SUPER SLOW until I sat down and trouble shot for my brother and figured out what was going on
2> Gigabyte - see above

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
well, you are going for... Nevermind

The gigabyte x58 boards are excellent. But i'll be honest, I am an asus man. I love my P6X58D-E

Comps

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Gigabyte makes very good X58, 790G, 790GX, 790FX, 890G, 890GX, and 890FX. I just bought a Biostar 890FX because it was proven to overclock the best and has maximum stability.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
for intel, gigabyte p45/p55/x58 boards are in a class of their own compared to the older p35 and earlier boards. As far as im concerned they took the crown... This asus board has been a nightmare.

·
Registered
553 Posts
ASUS is awesome. Only thing i like about Gigabyte is their new matte black PCB while ASUS has this dark brown PCB which sucks.
frown.gif

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I am a big Asus fan but was thinking about giving gigabyte a shot on my next build (whenever that is) because it usually requires less voltages when OCing, at least thats what I have been reading here.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
And you were expecting what from a couple of low end boards?

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
I would not write off a manufacturer based on bad overclocking experiences with low end boards. Try the same overclocking on a gigabyte p45 board, and your mind will instantly change about them.

Asus and gigabyte are the only manufacturers I will buy boards from at the moment. I want to try msi, but I feel like going with them on amd is a risk, since they thought it was a great idea to only use 4 power phases for the cpu.
doh.gif

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My old Asus P965 board is better than the Gigabyte P35

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
gigabyte is rock solid imo
your particular mobo might not be but gigabyte for most part produce good mobos

By the same logic I should never get an asus ever again since I have MASSIVE vdroop with this asus mobo
My vcore in bios is set 1.6 and it drops to 1.44-1.48 under load
does that mean asus sucks? no it means that my particular mobo lacks LLC whereas other asus boards have LLC

1 bad experience with a crappy board does not define a company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts