Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
Get back in the other thread LOL..
Yeah noticed you had gone from a 5850 to this beastie..
I am sure people will answer ur q and good luck with ur card when u get it..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Advertised up to 13c cooler than a regular 5870. Seems decent I guess but it says "up to". Pretty good for the price I suppose, but I still think a Vapor-X would be better, or getting the AC Extreme when it comes out, supposed to drop temps by 30-40c.

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
Stealthy, you might be better off with a 5850, as from what I have read on here, it is a better buy, and then get another 1 later on down the track for some xfire sexciness..

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
well think about how much more the 5870 costs than a 5850, then work out the performance ratio of the 2.
You will find, as I have read, and I am not being biased becasue I own 1 (gloat gloat LOL), that most on here agree that the 5850 is the WTG, then use the money you saved on the 5850 towards another for some xfire goodness..
Its just a monetary thing.
If you want the 5870, go for it, but if you want to get some thing for a little more that will out perform a 5870, then 5850 is not a bad option.

Hope this makes sense, and am not trying to confuse you..
I just have done too much reading and can see, without bias, how modular the 5850 is on cost per performance..

·
Registered
780 Posts
personally, i think you'd be better off grabbing a reference card and slapping on an aftermarket heatsink, like the one in my sig. if you use bing cashback at tigerdirect, you can get a reference card for way under $400. using a t-rad and one of the vrm sinks, you'll get absurdly low temps and much higher oc headroom, not to mention near silent operation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts