Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello OCN I want to upgrade my rig and I don't know which one to pick gigabyte z170x-gaming g1 or
ROG Maximus VIII Formula
Am into overclock cpu,ram,vram and GPU
I have every thing just missing the mobo and I want your advise between them
my rig parts you can find it on my profile

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Unless you are going to be doing the kind of overclocking that absolutely requires sub-zero cooling like dry ice or liquid nitrogen or phase change, and unless you're going to be doing it competitively, there is absolutely no need to spend $400+ on a motherboard.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaniz View Post

I will go with castom water cool the cpu vram and GPU which one will be friendly with oc cpu I will oc to 4.8
That still doesn't need or require a $400+ motherboard. Something in the $150 to $200 range would be more than good enough for that.

Also, overclocking the video card doesn't determine which motherboard you need. It's independent.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

The sli with 16x and m.2
And the money is not matter just want high-end mobo and with good support for oc
Well, I'm just telling you that those motherboards are extremely excessive overkill for the kind of overclocking you want to do; $400+ motherboards are generally meant for professional competitive overclockers who want to win world championship overclocking competitions. There are very good motherboards for $200 and less that will make you very happy.

You see, I don't have that kind of money to throw around, but even if I did, I still wouldn't want to just toss $200+ down the drain for no good reason.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

Ok tell me some mobo with 2 16x if I use sli and have m.2 and for sure friendly for oc
You don't need a motherboard with dual 16x/16x for GPU's. 8x/8x makes no difference and there are plenty of benchmarks on the web that prove this. Also any motherboard capable of delivering 16x/16x on LGA 1151 will be doing so by use of a PLX chip. Natively CPU's on LGA 1151 are not capable of more than 16 lanes(native to the CPU itself). X99 is needed for more lanes without the PLX chip.

Anyway. As you have been told, you don't need a $400 motherboard for what you want to do. Don't look at motherboards that only have 16x/16x, as you don't need that either. If you want to buy it, go ahead, but it isn't necessary at all and you wouldn't notice any difference on a lesser motherboard.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
The G1 Gaming has some nice features.
I agree with TwoCables though, they are overkill boards for the requirement, but if you have some disposable income, maybe just do it anyway. Sometimes it's nice to buy something a bit crazy and unnecessary, and you'll probably learn a lesson for future builds
tongue.gif

I've done a build like this in the past, and it brought me to the decision that future builds will be as cheap and as close to the power required as possible, with more frequent upgrading.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had better experience with Asus Mobos in the past, but I think nowadays they're on the same level, it just comes down to how they look to you.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
In regards to what was actually asked in the OP...

There are pro's and con's to both of those motherboards (I own both).

The big thing with the gigabyte in my opinion is that it lacks adaptive voltage. They have something called dynamic vid but it seems to overvolt a lot. So you pretty much end up with a fixed voltage. The Formula you can use adaptive obviously and it works really well. If you don't care about that.. then it just comes down to what you want/prefer between those two motherboards.

Oh I should also mention depending on how many sata devices you may use... If you are running two m.2 drives.. You end up with 2 available Intel sata ports on the gigabyte. With the Asus you would lose you last x16 slot for a second m.2 but you end up with 4 Intel sata ports. Of course if you don't mind using asmedia that doesn't really matter.

I never really noticed much difference between the nics (Intel vs Killer) but I actually liked the wireless on the gigabyte better.

If you are into LED's the Formula has better led and with the Aura header and the right led strips you can do some interesting things. I play a lot of music so I set my Formula up with the music effect option for the LED's. The LED strips I bought off Amazon work perfectly... the cablemod led's I have even with the "asus patch" cable... only work correctly on static.. in music mode they just start doing their own thing.

The sound solution on the gigabyte is really nice...

The bios on the Formula is better. The gigabyte is slightly odd and may take a few moments to figure out but its not that bad.

Beyond that its mostly color scheme and board size (e-atx gigabyte g1 vs atx for the formula).

*edited to add* For memory OC the Gigabyte tends to work better if you manually input the settings. In other words if you want to use XMP then the Asus will be better. If you are the type to manually enter your settings anyway... then its not an issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've been using asus boards for years and they are amazing. While I have no experience with either board i can say that my asks board from 2008 hasn't died on me yet and still kicking, so they are made to last. I've recently switched to MSI boards though for the red/black theme build I am doing and I'd reccomend them as well for an option if you would consider them. Gigabyte Boards have the Dual-BIOS which can be useful if something goes wrong and one gets corrupted somehow(It happens, rarely though)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I prefer Gigabyte over Asus. I keep hearing people talk about Asus being good, so I keep trying them, and they keep dying, but my Gigabyte boards keep chugging along. Asus support is also crap.

I filed an Asus RMA and kept getting the run around from Asus asking me for more info even though I gave everything they asked for and then some. I was very close to end of warranty coverage. I then had to send an RMA to Gigabyte. Gigabyte quickly approved my RMA, sent me labels and I shipped it off. I was still jumping through hoops for Asus when I got my board back from Gigabyte, working perfectly. Asus then finally approved my RMA and I sent it in. I began filing RMA before my warranty ended, they finally approved it after warranty ended, this is important. I get a message in the second week after they recieved the mobo saying that it was out of warranty and they could fix it, but at a charge. The price they sent me was about $10 less than me just buying a new board (this was a budget M5A97 Pro). So yea, I've been done with Asus.

I started with a cheap Gigabyte, tried Asus next, quickly replaced with another GB. Then kept hearing that Asus boards were great "these days" and tried again, had many issues and returns, buy GB and everything smooth. Again tried Asus and mobo died just b4 warranty, see above, and now I'm back to GB.

Asus boards sometimes feel more feature-rich and I preferred OCing on the Asus boards more for their BIOS, but I never regret buying the GB boards, something I cannot say for Asus...

Thats my two cents.

Also, I totally agree with TwoCables and the talk of x16 vs x8. Your aiming for overkill mobo. Your money is FAR better spent elsewhere, or simply saved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts