Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleared my CMOS, rebooted back in to the bios, enabled raid then rebooted again, but the OS can't be found. I have 2 raid volumes and I can see them in the bios raid config (Ctrl-I), but they show up
as "not bootable", the utility does not let me change the setting to bootable.

I'm really screwed right now. I'm posting this from my iPhone! What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not used the Clear Cmos button yet if i scewed up overclockin it has just auto booted of the second bios in default settings. This is the first time i have ever done RAID and i am unsure that it has worked right. I have 2x Samsung F1 750GB 32MB cache 7200RPM hard drives RAID 0 and the index score on Windows 7 is only 5.9? Should it not be higher? My XPS laptop has a Weston Digital 7200RPM 320GB and that scores 5.7 on its own in Vista.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacedaface View Post
Not used the Clear Cmos button yet if i scewed up overclockin it has just auto booted of the second bios in default settings. This is the first time i have ever done RAID and i am unsure that it has worked right. I have 2x Samsung F1 750GB 32MB cache 7200RPM hard drives RAID 0 and the index score on Windows 7 is only 5.9? Should it not be higher? My XPS laptop has a Weston Digital 7200RPM 320GB and that scores 5.7 on its own in Vista.
Dude, I'm in serious trouble here and you're asking me why your windows experience score is not as high as you think it should be?

unless you can help me, please don't hijack my post,

·
Registered
871 Posts
Only thing i can think of, but i expect you have tried it. Go into Bios (not raid Config just normal bios) Integrated Peripherals, make sure Extreme Hard Drive is enabled RAID(XHD) also scroll down to what ever sata ports ur using and make sure they are RAID and not AHCI or IDE. I expect u have already tried this but thats all i can think of.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Check what's the bootorder, happens with my dads PC alot. They always switch and tries to boot of the wrong one, just go into BIOS and tell it which one to boot.

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav1s View Post
Check what's the bootorder, happens with my dads PC alot. They always switch and tries to boot of the wrong one, just go into BIOS and tell it which one to boot.
That happened to me too. Mine was trying to boot from my USB stick.
Disconnect all your drives besides the array you are trying to boot from.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I confirmed the boot order, hard drive first, doesn't work.
I switched to CD-ROM and tried to boot with the windows 7 cd, but after I get the message to boot from cd i get the message "Missing Operating System"

the raid drives show up as "failed" in the raid config, no idea what's happening

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacedaface
View Post

Oh also eSata Controller Enabled and eSata Control Mode RAID

There are no esata setting in my bios

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav1s
View Post

Maybe rebuild the raid?

If I do that I will lose the data
this doesn't make sense, I should be able to clear the CMOS without all these problems

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAFX
View Post

There are no esata setting in my bios

Must be somthing they put on the UD7 then. Only other things i can think of are all going to lead to you having to start again. Try delete RAID content in the RAID Config or try taking out one drive and format it in another system.

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAFX
View Post

If I do that I will lose the data
this doesn't make sense, I should be able to clear the CMOS without all these problems

Yes you should.
This wasn't the solution I was looking for, but if you can't find any other way, try this. Post #6.
First make sure your SATA connections are good and maybe try switching cables. None of these things should be happening, you should be able to reset CMOS and re-enable RAID without having any issues. I have done it many times with no issues.

·
Registered
426 Posts
On the main BIOS page try "load optimized defaults" then F10 save and exit, then go back in BIOS and enable the correct RAID settings for your system, then F10 save and exit.

Might actually work

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rebuilt the array and lost everything, no big deal, I had most of my data stored on a seperate drive, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE:

I managed to recover my primary boot volume after I rebuilt the raid array. Even though the bios raid utility said everything would be lost, i rebooted with the W7 cd and used the repair function to fix the master boot record volume. I lost everything on the other raid volume, mostly music and movies, which is backed up anyway on another drive

Just goes to show you that the only way to erase a drive is to overwrite every byte with random data.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Another option would have been to use an IDE?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts