Overclock.net banner
801 - 811 of 811 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Almost Heathen: CRTL + F12, is new one, i not working for me, in those 1-2 seconds, i dont too much that this will work, maybe for other problem.

Hold turn on button also dont working for me.

Remove battery for whole night, its not make a sense from physics point of view, half a hour maybe but whole night is not sense.

·
Linux Gamer
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthan View Post

Almost Heathen: CRTL + F12, is new one, i not working for me, in those 1-2 seconds, i dont too much that this will work, maybe for other problem.

Hold turn on button also dont working for me.

Remove battery for whole night, its not make a sense from physics point of view, half a hour maybe but whole night is not sense.
Whether or not it makes sense, it often works.

It's well established that a long CMOS clear can fix boot issues, and worked for me several times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Fixed" with 2400 MHz memory stick, it booted like a charm into bios, i said Dual bios bug, it should underclock, and what is more interesing bios was still in not reseted state, bios reset jumper is probably bugged too Gigabyte no more, it is not worthy few saved bucks.

Long reset - how long time could be power in capacitors? I realy thing that few minutes is enough, but im not electroengineer..

There is also hard way how to reset bios through some MB bios microprocesor pin connection:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/50152-ga-z68xp-ud3-bios-recovery-failed.html

I did few more testing:
- BCLK isnt problem, it doesnt matters in still issue, no is on default.
- but problem is that board isnt able to boot, even with default memory speed - with Kingston Hyper X 1866, only 1600 or lesser working, otherwise infinite loop described above.
- only memory in 1 slot matters, for fix is enough to replace memory in first slot for quicker one, others still running. I have tried to replace stick in 1 slot it doesnt matter and memtest is ok.

So as i said problem is on GIgabyte side, there bioses and support are problematic in general, now i would risk i would buy only Asus, i have bough still board 4 years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi OCN,

I've been looking around for a resolution to a problem that has just occurred yesterday afternoon, but to no avail so far unfortunately speaking. I ordered the Kingston HyperX FURY RAM 1866MHz (2x8GB) to replace my previous Kingston HyperX blu 1333mhz (2x4GB). When I replaced and installed the new RAM, the infamous boot cycling issue kicked in for Gigabyte's Z68 mobo's (First time experiencing it myself though) and would only turn on 2-3 secs then turn off and repeat till I would either unplug the PSU or hold the power button down for 5 seconds. I guess for some reason it doesn't like my motherboard for some reason? But the weird thing is that after I put back my previous RAM, it would go all the way to POST, but I can't access the BIOS when I spam the Delete button at the splash screen and then it would shut off and repeat doing the same thing, but this time it actually would display something on the monitor vs with the new RAM, it wouldn't and would shutdown a lot faster. I looked around and tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery for a good hour, went to bare minimum with 1 stick of RAM, keyboard, and mouse, removed any additional peripherals, etc. I'm trying to do another CMOS clear by removing the battery. I removed it last night before I went to bed and will check again when I get back home from work. I made sure the RAM was seated properly too listening to the two clicks. Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance. I will display my rig information below:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k

RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 8GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3

Hard Drive: Primary: Intel x25-m 80GB G2 SSD Secondary: Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD

PSU: Corsair TX 750W

GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys, I have owned my current system for 4 years and built it myself. It's a z68x-ud3h-b3 and i just got the infinite loop problem. The problem started when I tried to upgrade my HD 7850 to a 7950. This may or may not have anything to do with. I am on F10 Bios and I am going to flash the bios because I am at my wits end. It starts, the cpu fan comes on the GPU fan comes on, the PSU fan comes on. All 4 lights on the Motherboard are on and the screen is black. No bios/mobo info no cursor. Short of breadboarding it I have done almost everything. It just restarts every 8 or so seconds and repeats . The system has been running flawlessly for 4 years and suddenly it ****s the bed. I bought a new psu to see if that works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugzo View Post

i have a gigabyte z68 that is in an unstoppable loop. I've removed video cards, memory, cleared cmos, removed 24pin, nothing. powers on for 2-3 seconds then off for 8-9 seconds. over and over. nothing i've tried will stop it. it is oc'd and has been running flawless for 4 months. this has happened in the past though. there was some combination of holding power button, pulling power cord then booting into backup bios or something.. I cant find those instructions to save my life, been looking for 2 hours. Can somebody help please? how do you force a backup bios boot? someone said somewhere about shorting pins on the bios chip but i cant find them either.. pics or links to bios chip pics and which pins to short would be awesome if you have it on hand... thnks again..
exactly what i have and exactly what I have done to no avail. Did you find a fix for this?

·
2,838 Posts
Has anyone here updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest UEFI? There's a version from July 2016(!) that I've just noticed on the Gigabyte software page for my motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#bios

I'm still on BIOS version 12, which is NON UEFI.

Having trouble with installing the UEFI version--it needs to be flashed using the supplied .EXE from a bootable flash drive, and I'm not sure how to make that work. I've placed the BIOS file, the FLASHEFI.EXE and the .BAT file onto a flash drive formatted with FAT32, but booting to it results in the "no operating system found" error. ("If your BIOS is AWARD BIOS, please use FLASHEFI_autoexec.bat to update U1n BIOS" from Gigabyte's directions)

Used these directions to make a bootable drive, except I formatted as FAT32, not NTFS:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Create-a-Bootable-USB-Drive-Without-Using-A/

·
Linux Gamer
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenEleven View Post

Has anyone here updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest UEFI? There's a version from July 2016(!) that I've just noticed on the Gigabyte software page for my motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#bios

I'm still on BIOS version 12, which is NON UEFI.

Having trouble with installing the UEFI version--it needs to be flashed using the supplied .EXE from a bootable flash drive, and I'm not sure how to make that work. I've placed the BIOS file, the FLASHEFI.EXE and the .BAT file onto a flash drive formatted with FAT32, but booting to it results in the "no operating system found" error. ("If your BIOS is AWARD BIOS, please use FLASHEFI_autoexec.bat to update U1n BIOS" from Gigabyte's directions)

Used these directions to make a bootable drive, except I formatted as FAT32, not NTFS:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Create-a-Bootable-USB-Drive-Without-Using-A/
No but Id check first and make sure the UEFI doesn't gimp overclocking. They often do, and it's usually difficult to flash back to a BIOS.

These boards are fussy about flash drives. Id try another. I got frustrated with this and made a bootable FAT32 HDD partition with all my BIOS, so that's an option too.

Could also try FAT/FAT16 maybe. Easybcd can also make a flashdrive bootable.

Best of luck.

·
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Heathen View Post

No but Id check first and make sure the UEFI doesn't gimp overclocking. They often do, and it's usually difficult to flash back to a BIOS.

These boards are fussy about flash drives. Id try another. I got frustrated with this and made a bootable FAT32 HDD partition with all my BIOS, so that's an option too.

Could also try FAT/FAT16 maybe. Easybcd can also make a flashdrive bootable.

Best of luck.
I have a non-K i5 2400 there that's overclocked by 4 bins (as non-K processors can do) on default settings. I think that doesn't really count as a proper overclock, so I think I'll be fine. My motherboard does *hate* 4 sticks of RAM for 16GB (the old Samsung "magic" RAM), so periodically it does give the message that some error happened due to overclocking--but only during boot, the system is completely stable and has been for years when inside the OS. I've had to bump up DRAM voltage and one or two other voltages to prevent the motherboard going into bootloop with 4 sticks of RAM inserted.

·
2,838 Posts
Okay, I was able to make a bootable USB flash drive (2GB size) with "rufus" software, FAT32. Tried putting the 3 update files (FLASHEFI_autoexec.bat, FLASHEFI.exe, and the BIOS firmware file) on the flash drive and updating after booting from the flash drive. The BIOS update progress appears to progress smoothly until at the end I get an error message (screen photo below) and the system is frozen. Rebooting results in the restoration of the original BIOS (F12 in my case, non UEFI). Tried updating twice now. Searching for the error didn't really help so far
frown.gif

I've made sure to get the correct BIOS version and follow Gigabyte's instructions to use FLASHEFI for Award -> EFI BIOS.

Not sure why I'm seeing this error
frown.gif
Going to try again with "FLASHEFI biosfirmwarefile" at command prompt next if I still encounter problems and need to update the BIOS.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just a quick post because I was having heartburn myself with infinite boot cycle.
I just unplugged the bottom usb of the motherboard. I'll reconnect them 1 at a time after I reinstall the drivers.
Otherwise, at least I'm operational.

801 - 811 of 811 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.