Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I have a Gigabyte RTX3070 Gaming OC and after checking that there is no thermal pads for memory on backplate, I decided to disassemblyand add them, but some questions.

As I mentioned before, no thermal pads on backplate althought ampere runs very hot memory. On my secondary PC I have a Zotac 3070 and it does have thermal pads on the back, so very dissapointed with gigabyte for this.
After measuring the gap, I've readed about 2,8mm, I've ordered 3mm normal blue (6w/mK), but once I've put them into, they where a little too thick as you can see:

The problem here is that 3070 doesnt have memory temperature sensor, so I can't know if thermal pads are doing a good job. The only I cant compare is that after that, backplate was about 48ºC and now it's about 60ºC.

Now the cuestions:
  • Thicked pads, like I've posted, can be a problem and not doing they're job well? Better to order 2mm and replace them?
  • Backplate temperature has raised a lot, but I thing this is good no? Because this means that temperature is not keeping on the card and transfering to backplate?

Thanks for your future help guys!

·
Registered
630 Posts
The only I cant compare is that after that, backplate was about 48ºC and now it's about 60ºC.
Most people can not understand that thermal pads this is auxiliary method of cooling, in simple English, the pad combined with metal sink this is an assistance and not the primary way of cooling.
Flat backplate this is a very poor performing heatsink by design.
Right now you did succeed removing 12C from the center part of the PCB, but this 20% gain of lower temperature, this is not equally beneficial for all electronic components.
New DDR6 this is component designed for normal operation at 103 Celsius while many other regular components (VRM) they are designed for up to 95C.

In conclusion, even if you do operate one car engine of 4000 horse power at lower climate temperatures, this car will not run any faster.
Any car engine for racing, this overheat, and all components in use are made so to withstand overheat.
But the truth is that what we consider as overheat, for the engine this is normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
630 Posts
that is way too thick thermal pad. backplate is pretty bent.
my advice is to try EC360 bronze 8W/mk, as they are very soft. used them for my cooler on gainward gtx 1070.
tried arctic, thermal grizzly minus pad, EK. these are the softest.

What is the benefit removing from the PCB 15 Celsius instead of 12 Celsius?
Does this translate to 1 FPS increase as gain?

·
Registered
132 Posts
well, helps with silicon degradation.
also it is known that all electronics runs on white smoke, and when that smoke exits, device stops working. so lower temps keeps that smoke in.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Replacing the cheap OEM pads on the memory modules themselves will net much better results.

I have 12.8w/k pads comming for my msi gaming X trio 3080. It comes with pads already for the back plate but im not going to waste time on replacing them as the gains are pretty minior. Replacing the pads at the modules themsleves where they contact the cold plate is worth 10-15c alone

Also 3070 uses GDDR6 so it doesnt run near as hot so there is even less gains to be had in the first place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thicked pads, like I've posted, can be a problem and not doing they're job well?
It's bad, you're lucky backplate is weak otherwise it would be pcb to bend. Also I would strongly recommend unscrew and add some paste beneath this plate, as dry contact is bad for heat transfer.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,428 Posts
somebody from the RTX3070 group (here) who has the same card as you have just used something around 2mm or 1.5mm, if I recall it correctly..your backplate seems to be warped and that could lead to bending of the pcb or worse shorting of components..

·
LTSC for life crew
3,642 Posts
Replacing the cheap OEM pads on the memory modules themselves will net much better results.

I have 12.8w/k pads comming for my msi gaming X trio 3080. It comes with pads already for the back plate but im not going to waste time on replacing them as the gains are pretty minior. Replacing the pads at the modules themsleves where they contact the cold plate is worth 10-15c alone

Also 3070 uses GDDR6 so it doesnt run near as hot so there is even less gains to be had in the first place.
^ This. The Gigabyte Gaming-OC cards are not terrible when it comes to cooling from the factory. The gains, if any are minimal. And there are basically no gains to be had from adding thermal pads on the backplate. The GDDR6 runs pretty cool as it is. GDDR6X is a whole different animal though.

somebody from the RTX3070 group (here) who has the same card as you have just used something around 2mm or 1.5mm, if I recall it correctly..your backplate seems to be warped and that could lead to bending of the pcb or worse shorting of components..
That was me. Or might have been me you are thinking of. I had the gigabyte gaming-oc 3070 and did this mod. The backplate with 1.5mm pads was doing little to nothing for heat transfer so I removed them. Replacing the thermal pads directly on the memory on the underside of the card was the only worthwhile mod aside from new thermal paste on the core itself.

This card really doesn't have heat problems as it comes. Unless your card is somehow worse off from the factory/maybe defective I wouldn't worry about it. Even the gigabyte thermal paste is pretty decent.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,428 Posts
That was me. Or might have been me you are thinking of. I had the gigabyte gaming-oc 3070 and did this mod. The backplate with 1.5mm pads was doing little to nothing for heat transfer so I removed them. Replacing the thermal pads directly on the memory on the underside of the card was the only worthwhile mod aside from new thermal paste on the core itself.

This card really doesn't have heat problems as it comes. Unless your card is somehow worse off from the factory/maybe defective I wouldn't worry about it. Even the gigabyte thermal paste is pretty decent.
yeah it was you..mine comes with LAIRD thermal pads all over the place (Aorus Master Rev1.1) and idle can go as low as 31c..gaming with +100 on core and +800 on mem does only give me around 61c max temps with my fans on 85% (close case)..clocks can go upto 2025mhz (boost)..when I open it up and touch the back plate its warm and I feel there is really no need to add pads underneath it (it will just heat soak the back plate and have nowhere else to dissipate) as the cooler construction itself isn't soaking hot..I would probably just add a PCI slot fan (from aliexpress) and that should help the backplate remove some more heat or buy a memory/nvme waterblock and place it on top of the backplate and add it to my loop on next drain..

·
Registered
1 Posts
^ This. The Gigabyte Gaming-OC cards are not terrible when it comes to cooling from the factory. The gains, if any are minimal. And there are basically no gains to be had from adding thermal pads on the backplate. The GDDR6 runs pretty cool as it is. GDDR6X is a whole different animal though.

Please what thickness Thermal Pads did you use on memory? And wouldn't any photo? Thanks

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I bought 4mm thick phobya thermal pads for the backplate on my 1080ti. They can be compressed at up to half their thickness, I pre-compressed the thermal pads by putting a 5 lb. weight on the backplate overnight before installing any of the backplate mounting screws. Thermal pads also work better under compression. But I really wouldn't use thermal pads at all anymore, if I had to do it over I'd use the thermal putty T.Sharp and blameless recommend:
TG-PP-10 from t-Global on DigiKey. The 10 W/mK rating for this thermal putty is better than the thermal conductivity rating for the phobya thermal tape I bought. It's probably easier to apply than thermal tape too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody know the exact thickness of the pads for front?
I heard 0.5 and 1 mm, but I don't know where should I put 0.5 and where put 1?
Can I use 1 mm for all parts of front?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts