Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last build Gigabyte z270x ultra i nominated to go with an Aquaero for fan control, due to requiring a coolant sensor
I have just finished my latest build on a Z370 Aorus 5, which has the required external temperature sensors, so i plumbed in coolant, and it is fine in that respect

except... CPU fan header, the temperature can only be tied to core temp in bios - i can work around this by swapping my pwm pump and fan headers around

i expected to fine tune the fans using smart fan 5 in windows (part of the system info suite from gigabyte)... but what a crock of **** that is, i'm not sure if i am missing something but:
It is nigh on impossible to tell which fan is which
using the find fan feature seems to spin all fans up
it is not clear how to associate temperature inputs to fans.. it just doesn't work

so i thought i could be clever, and edit the xml profile it makes.... but the xml seems to suggest the fans are under voltage control rather than PWM (i want PWM, corsair ML fans)
i could play with the XML and try and figure out if i can get it to do what i want

But... i found SIV on the net and gave it a go, and it reads everything, allows me to make a virtual sensor ambient to coolant temp.. but doesn't seem to offer any fan control natively :S

Any other solutions (software) that would allow me intelligent control? or any hacks for smart fan 5?

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
Are you sure you downloaded Gigabyte's SIV? It's in the smart fan advanced tab that you can adjust profiles.

Otherwise I'd look into Speedfan.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Has speedfan been updated in this millennium? I haven't used it in probably 6+ years because it seemed like it hadn't been updated since the early 00s.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
speedfan wouldn't pick anything up on my z270 ... i doubt it will on the z370
the problems is that the siv smartfan 5... it just doesn't work... i mean.. absolute worse case is ill just do it in pure bios...
smartfan is fine as long as you want basic fan control... the fact that it is non intuitive to what actual fan you are altering or what temperature sensor you are referencing is ridiculous
they tried to make the ui fancy.. and royally messed it up so it doesnt work.... Ive got hte xml profile which is fairly basic.. i might try and tweak that
example :
<SmartFanMultiCurveConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
CPU
<ControlMode>Voltage</ControlMode>
<TemperatureInputSelection>2</TemperatureInputSelection>
<Mode>SmartFanMode</Mode>
<SoftwareOperationMode>false</SoftwareOperationMode>
<FixedModeConfig>
<TachometerClosedLoopMode>false</TachometerClosedLoopMode>
<FanConfig>
<TemperatureLimitValueOfFanOff>0</TemperatureLimitValueOfFanOff>
<TemperatureLimitValueOfFanStart>20</TemperatureLimitValueOfFanStart>
<TemperatureLimitValueOfFanFullSpeed>70</TemperatureLimitValueOfFanFullSpeed>
<StartPWM>70</StartPWM>
<Slope>0</Slope>
<DeltaTemperature>3</DeltaTemperature>
<TargetZoneBoundary>0</TargetZoneBoundary>
<FanSpeed>582</FanSpeed>
</FanConfig>
<ExtraVectorConfigs>
<FanExtraVectorConfig>
<StartLimit>30</StartLimit>
<Slope>0</Slope>
<RangeSelection>0</RangeSelection>
<FullLimit>0</FullLimit>
</FanExtraVectorConfig>
<FanExtraVectorConfig>
<StartLimit>40</StartLimit>
<Slope>0</Slope>
<FullLimit>0</FullLimit>
</FanExtraVectorConfig>
<FanExtraVectorConfig>
<StartLimit>50</StartLimit>
<Slope>0</Slope>
<FullLimit>100</FullLimit>
</FanExtraVectorConfig>
</ExtraVectorConfigs>
</FixedModeConfig>
<SmartModeConfig>
<TachometerClosedLoopMode>false</TachometerClosedLoopMode>
<FanConfig>
<TemperatureLimitValueOfFanOff>0</TemperatureLimitValueOfFanOff>
<TemperatureLimitValueOfFanStart>20</TemperatureLimitValueOfFanStart>
<TemperatureLimitValueOfFanFullSpeed>93</TemperatureLimitValueOfFanFullSpeed>
<StartPWM>51</StartPWM>
<Slope>0</Slope>
<DeltaTemperature>5</DeltaTemperature>
<TargetZoneBoundary>0</TargetZoneBoundary>
<FanSpeed>0</FanSpeed>
</FanConfig>
<ExtraVectorConfigs>
<FanExtraVectorConfig>
<StartLimit>42</StartLimit>
<Slope>0</Slope>
<FullLimit>0</FullLimit>
</FanExtraVectorConfig>
<FanExtraVectorConfig>
<StartLimit>70</StartLimit>
<Slope>0</Slope>
<FullLimit>0</FullLimit>
</FanExtraVectorConfig>
<FanExtraVectorConfig>
<StartLimit>80</StartLimit>
<Slope>15.69</Slope>
<FullLimit>100</FullLimit>
</FanExtraVectorConfig>
</ExtraVectorConfigs>
</SmartModeConfig>
</SmartFanMultiCurveConfig>

that's on fan out of the lot

·
Registered
45 Posts
You need to download Gigabyte APP Centre http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_appcenter_B17.1226.1.zip and then you need to download System Information Viewer http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_siv_300series.zip . After that at advanced fan you can chose PWM or voltage or manual. For my AX370 I can tie fans to tempertures only from bios I don't know how it is for you, but other than that the fans are pretty straight forward named just use your manual to see which header is which.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to download Gigabyte APP Centre http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_appcenter_B17.1226.1.zip and then you need to download System Information Viewer http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_siv_300series.zip . After that at advanced fan you can chose PWM or voltage or manual. For my AX370 I can tie fans to tempertures only from bios I don't know how it is for you, but other than that the fans are pretty straight forward named just use your manual to see which header is which.
oh yer i know how to use it
or how you are supposed to use it
but temperature sensor selection doesn't seem to stick
the graphic that shows the sensor or header is way off...
it's just poorly made software that has been made over complicated to the point were it is unusuable
as simple table would totally suffice
you cant even seem to copy fan profiles from one to another.. and i was certain you were supposed to be bale to group fans... i dunno
ill take another look at it tonight before i delete it

·
Registered
45 Posts
The software is **** yes . I suggest you do it from the bios you can tie the temp to any of the header to lots of temp and mine stick with bios settings, also from bios when you make a profile the button on the the top apply to and you choose to which headers to apply it, though there are 2 groups so you need to use system_fan1 for group 1 and system fan5/pump I think for group two don't remember but you can copy paste them that way. Anyway if you find something vastly better and it works please post it here :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smart 5 Fan control

Smart 5 Fan control. Upper right corner Preference tab change to Fahrenheit. Yes I like C better but the scale is 0 to 100 for both so C will not give much control. The profile shows it is using the CPU temp but it is not so there is limited control. Go to advance tab. Calibrate fans and locate using search function [It sets a fan to max so you can find it].
Highlight the CPU fan button. Sorry before this you should determine your case temp for max CPU load with fans of full. You can set them to full on the Auto tab.
On the graph move the second to last button to 100% and a temp just below your full speed fan max temp. Now move back one button to a lower temp and speed. Do this once more. The next one should be base setting. You will have to play around with these because there are a limited number of set points. My base setting is 30% and 76 F to a steep slope up to 82 F and 100%. That is your curve. Click on the save profile tab and save file [%\Documents\SIV\Profile] and click on Apply. Highlight the next fan and repeat. Highlight the next fan and repeat. My board only has 3 PWM fans.
The reason I say to do each separately is they seem to jump back to the previous profile for no reason. This stops that from happening. At the end the last profile should be the 3 curves you set.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yer the software is rubbish
i did what i could in bios and left it
i'm going back to my Aquaero shortly anyhow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts