Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings my fellow overclockers,

I've just ordered some parts for a pre-black Friday build and I ran into some problem. My current bill of materials is as followed:

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA
Asus 7600gs PCI-E (without 6 pin connector)

Okay now with the problem, I currently have a Antec Basiq 500watt and it only comes with a 2x2pin and the the UD3P mobo calls for a 2x4pin connector. I was wondering if I would be able to run the system stock with just the 2x2pin connector.

Thanks,
Jinx

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another question does having 8pin cpu power adapters provide any real stability, as compared to just running the motherboard with the 4pin.

i.e.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198003

and what is the worst thing that could happen if I run the UD3P without the 8pin cpu power and with the 4pin. The PSU can't go FUBAR and take the motherboard along with it can it?

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
1.) Yes it does, it supplies more power to your CPU and its more distributed giving less stress on the line it is coming from.

2.) Adapters bad. For the most part you want to stay away from them. Its just not a good idea. But that is more personal opinion and experience then any hard facts. I've seen a few PSUs go FUBAR from PCIe 6pin to 8pin adapters, and CPU 4 pin to 8 pin adapters

3.) As I've noted above, I have seen it happen. But if you are running a dual core, you don't overclock like crazy, then you should be just A'O'K

I can say that a 90nm Pentium Dual Core (uses more power than the E5200) runs just fine on a 4pin CPU power connector on a board with an 8 pin slot.

You should be fine and go ahead with the build. I can say for most certain that you will be absolutely fine running stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts