Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My friend's Gigabyte UD3P, under the Q-Flash program, does not find the BIOS on a USB drive or a CD.

The reason for my friend updating the BIOS is that the CD Drive is set as the Master in the BIOS instead of the slave, which may be contributing to the Windows XP BSOD'ing everytime it trys to install.

System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Gigabyte UD3P P45
4GB Gskill Super Pi Black 900 MHz
Antec 900
Corsair 520 HX
9800 GTX+

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Try with only 1 stick of ram. Also, is your usb a FAT 8/16/32 file system?

• Rep+
Reactions: noob eater4726

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSingh
View Post

Try with only 1 stick of ram. Also, is your usb a FAT 8/16/32 file system?

I tried it one stick of ram, only to the same problem. I tried putting the BIOS on a disk as well, but it doesn't show up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattlyall06
View Post

BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

After hitting Load BIOS from drive, it doesn't find any BIOS's or drives, except for a nonexistent floppy drive.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattlyall06
View Post

if it doesnt find it then the usb drive isnt formatted correctly.

I also tried a disk to the same effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha
View Post

just as an input to the XP BSOD'ing - is it a slipstreamed XP SP2/SP3 disk? Because XP non SP2 will not install with a pci express graphics card.

Really? This may be the it! Thanks, I let him borrow my Vista X64.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Really? This may be the it! Thanks, I let him borrow my Vista X64.

yeah. i learnt that the hard way lol..

i am amazed it is such a little documented fact. but yeah when original XP was released PCI E didn't exist, so they incorporated support in SP2..

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha
View Post

just as an input to the XP BSOD'ing - is it a slipstreamed XP SP2/SP3 disk? Because XP non SP2 will not install with a pci express graphics card.

Haha, I don't think so man, I had a launch day copy of XP Home that I used forever, and it definitely installed fine with my old 8500GT.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Does it show a "USB 2.0 device" when you hit END at startup to flash?

• Rep+
Reactions: noob eater4726

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noob eater4726
View Post

Nope.

Is the USB drive FAT32 formatted?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

Is the USB drive FAT32 formatted?

IDK, but I also tried a disk. Please read the posts next time.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noob eater4726 View Post
IDK, but I also tried a disk. Please read the posts next time.

IDK, you might want to double check to see if its FAT32. just a thought. cuz it wont find it unless its FAT32.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
What do you mean you tried a disk, just trying to be clear on what you meant there? A hard drive? If so, then it must also be formatted to FAT32 (Or the other FAT's as well)

I made that guide linked earlier and you should have had no issues really provided you read it and followed up on the procedure. And of course provided your USB Stick is ok with the board, some are not but that is few and far between. Try another if you can, and if the rest below does not get you fixed up.

Hey, you know what... Did you extract the BIOS file out of the .exe you downloaded yet? If not, you must do this as the BIOS will not see a .exe.

The BIOS file will be one of three inside the .exe. You ONLY need the .Fxx file (Like .F10 for example). Once you have extracted it, place that on the USB stick.

Then go into the BIOS and be sure "Legacy USB Storage Detect" is enabled in Integrated Peripherals BIOS page and then Save/Apply/Reboot (F10) and go to Qflash (End Key or F8 From the MAIN BIOS page). The USB Stick MUST Remained plugged in always, Meaning you can't plug it in after you are in Qflash or the BIOS.

Then once in Qflash you will see your USB Disk labeled as HDD as shown in my guide (And below/Edited in the image to make it easy on anyone later with similar issues), enter there and then you should find your .Fxx file and then continue with the flash.

If you keep having issues please post me a image of the files on your USB Stick, and a image of what you see in Qflash after choosing HDD

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xToaDx View Post
Haha, I don't think so man, I had a launch day copy of XP Home that I used forever, and it definitely installed fine with my old 8500GT.
orly? Maybe its just PCI E 2.0 then... i googled around for the BSOD code i got and it pointed me in the direction of an SP2 slipstream. slipstreamed it and it fixed it

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Any results noobeater? Do all your usb ports show up properly when your not trying to flash. LSDMEASAP is correct and should have the answer for you.

thecheesemuncha, XP will install fine with pci and pci-e. I have a original XP pro disk that I have installed on a 7300gt, 8800gts320 several times and no issue.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I agree, Prior to SP2 Windows XP does not support PCI-Express Video cards during the install, at least not without a user modified SP0 install disk.

I could not find the MS Article about it, because their site is crazy. But I did find you similar notes about it at Intel's site with ease >>>

Quote:

Windows XP: If your desktop board includes PCI Express* capability, you must use Windows XP with Service Pack 2, which includes support for PCI Express.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-028426.htm

Noob Eater, did you get your board flashed? Hope you did not use @BIOS and have not replied due to a bricked board.

Let us know

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
To be honest, just use @bios mate, works like a charm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts