Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per thread title, my old GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 with I7 2600K/GTX780 that is actually a hobby room (general use) PC but its an important PC and I'll sometimes play some older games on it.

What has happened is that its started boot looping, by that I mean when I switch it on, everything seems to start up, fans come on for cooler, GPU and case ETC, board lights come on, LED diagnostic shows nothing then shuts down, over and over again, spent the last day diagnosing and swapping out what I could, one ram module at a time ETC cleared CMOS the proper way with PSU unplugged, all drives unplugged, even tried a different graphic card and even without one, its boot loop city
frown.gif
Currently leaving it with CMOS battery out, unplugged from the mains and will try again Monday, if still no go after that I can assume its had its day, its way past its warranty for sure.

This is where some practical advice would be appreciated in my dilemma, so assuming on Monday its still the same situation and that's giving everything 2 days to discharge, what should I do? I've looked for a new replacement Z68 motherboard, but these are practically non existent, buying a second hand one on ebay is a possibility, but the boards are getting old now and I don't want to inherit more out of warranty problems, also the going rate on the Bay for a second hand Z68 board is silly IMHO.

Then I considered, I actually have a spare X99 Asus Deluxe board here, I replaced it for an an MSI X99 board because the Asus one was a bit flaky with multiple USB devices plugged in, but I'd not need to do that for this rooms replacement, also have a spare 16 GB set of four channel DDR4 ram too, so thinking maybe just a new I7 5820K CPU? Otherwise only other option would be a modern motherboard CPU ram bundle that would cost more.

What do you think? any other options I've missed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana1000 View Post

As per thread title, my old GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 with I7 2600K/GTX780 that is actually a hobby room (general use) PC but its an important PC and I'll sometimes play some older games on it.

What has happened is that its started boot looping, by that I mean when I switch it on, everything seems to start up, fans come on for cooler, GPU and case ETC, board lights come on, LED diagnostic shows nothing then shuts down, over and over again, spent the last day diagnosing and swapping out what I could, one ram module at a time ETC cleared CMOS the proper way with PSU unplugged, all drives unplugged, even tried a different graphic card and even without one, its boot loop city
frown.gif
Currently leaving it with CMOS battery out, unplugged from the mains and will try again Monday, if still no go after that I can assume its had its day, its way past its warranty for sure.

This is where some practical advice would be appreciated in my dilemma, so assuming on Monday its still the same situation and that's giving everything 2 days to discharge, what should I do? I've looked for a new replacement Z68 motherboard, but these are practically non existent, buying a second hand one on ebay is a possibility, but the boards are getting old now and I don't want to inherit more out of warranty problems, also the going rate on the Bay for a second hand Z68 board is silly IMHO.

Then I considered, I actually have a spare X99 Asus Deluxe board here, I replaced it for an an MSI X99 board because the Asus one was a bit flaky with multiple USB devices plugged in, but I'd not need to do that for this rooms replacement, also have a spare 16 GB set of four channel DDR4 ram too, so thinking maybe just a new I7 5820K CPU? Otherwise only other option would be a modern motherboard CPU ram bundle that would cost more.

Thanks in advance.
2 things might happen, problem with mobo or problem with psu.
Edit: Try a different psu if the problem still exists is bad mobo.
I see you already have a x99 mobo, my suggestion wait until new broadwell cpus hit the market (i7 6850k is the replacement for the 5820k)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed.it could be my current PSU in that system but if on Monday the problems persist, I'll pull my known good PSU from this (5960X) PC and try that, that would just leave my Asus (retired) X99 Deluxe motherboard to chance, and even though it was flaky at boot with multiple and I mean lots of USB devices, once booted it was rock solid.

Only other thing might be the 2600K CPU I suppose, unlikely though, its never been overclocked.

Thanks for your feedback, that was a good observation.

Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Quote:

Agreed.it could be my current PSU in that system but if on Monday the problems persist, I'll pull my known good PSU from this (5960X) PC and try that, that would just leave my Asus (retired) X99 Deluxe motherboard to chance, and even though it was flaky at boot with multiple and I mean lots of USB devices, once booted it was rock solid.

Only other thing might be the 2600K CPU I suppose, unlikely though, its never been overclocked.

Thanks for your feedback, that was a good observation.

Any more thoughts?
Well if you try everything already there is nothing else, and i think no if the 2600k died it wont boot at all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to add to this, fixing the hobby room's PC is not about best performance, but utilising parts I already have for its replacement where possible.

So, the more I think about it, maybe a new I7 5820K using my spare X99 Deluxe and DDR4 16GB is my best gamble?

For sure I've looked at Skylake replacement parts, but that works out a bit more expensive, not interested in an AMD bundle at this point.

It looks like whatever option is going to cost me £300+ though and that's still a wad of money I'd rather not spend, just looking for further advice really on my unusual dilemma.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:

frown.gif

Thanks in advance.
You could try leaving the Bios battery out and the board completely unplugged for like a day. I had a P6T6WS revolution that was doing that. I took the battery out and left it unplugged for a day. Weirdly that fixed it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hht92 View Post

Well if you try everything already there is nothing else, and i think no if the 2600k died it wont boot at all.
Well, I've had boot loops before and in extreme cases just switching the PC off for 24 hours with PSU unplugged can discharge everything and let the second BIOS kick in (assuming the first one is corrupt) I dont know, but I've tried all the physical swapping apart from PSU I can so far, and my only last chance I'm giving this old rig is until Monday to discharge and give it one last go, but it looks like new parts needed and the question is what path to follow I suppose
smile.gif

Thanks
thumb.gif

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKreiger View Post

You could try leaving the Bios battery out and the board completely unplugged for like a day. I had a P6T6WS revolution that was doing that. I took the battery out and left it unplugged for a day. Weirdly that fixed it.
Yep Battery is out and unplugged from mains ready for one last chance on Monday, part of me wants it to be dead though, I like buying new bits
smile.gif

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post

I don't know if you have tried already or if you can but maybe a newer bios for the board?
Cant do that my friend as the boot loop wont go as far as the BIOS
frown.gif

·
Registered
608 Posts
Quote:

Well, I've had boot loops before and in extreme cases just switching the PC off for 24 hours with PSU unplugged can discharge everything and let the second BIOS kick in (assuming the first one is corrupt) I dont know, but I've tried all the physical swapping apart from PSU I can so far, and my only last chance I'm giving this old rig is until Monday to discharge and give it one last go, but it looks like new parts needed and the question is what path to follow I suppose
smile.gif

Thanks
thumb.gif
Well i can give 2 options here,

1) you could try to find a good second hand board in an acceptable price (i know about the prices, same price you get new Z170 mobo)

2) sell the parts that working (cpu,ram,etc) and build a new one depending on your budget and your needs (since this wont be your main pc).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post

Sometimes trying to boot with no ram installed and then reseating the ram and trying again can also fix motherboard quirks.
We think alike my friend, tried that too
smile.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:

Just to add to this, fixing the hobby room's PC is not about best performance, but utilising parts I already have for its replacement where possible.

So, the more I think about it, maybe a new I7 5820K using my spare X99 Deluxe and DDR4 16GB is my best gamble?

For sure I've looked at Skylake replacement parts, but that works out a bit more expensive, not interested in an AMD bundle at this point.

It looks like whatever option is going to cost me £300+ though and that's still a wad of money I'd rather not spend, just looking for further advice really on my unusual dilemma.

Thanks again.
Once the overall diag has been satisfied, maybe find someone with a z68 board to test the chip in to be completely sure.
But i would definitely say ^^^this route would be a good one. Strongest system, for the least amount of money spent. As for the USB thing. My R3E seems a bit like it's drunk on boot up if i have all my externals, card reader, and thumb drives plugged in. So i went and picked up a good 8 port powered USB 3.0 hub, that has a power switch. Bot the system, and the hit the Hub's switch, for after boot initialization. This the one o picked up.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/438121/7-Port_USB_30_Hub_with_Power_Adapter
All aluminum construction is quite nice

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hht92 View Post

Well i can give 2 options here,

1) you could try to find a good second hand board in an acceptable price (i know about the prices, same price you get new Z170 mobo)

2) sell the parts that working (cpu,ram,etc) and build a new one depending on your budget and your needs (since this wont be your main pc).
Thanks, did consider this in my opening post, but Z68 boards ar3e hard to find new now and just second hands ones on Ebay that seem over priced to me, they will be out of warranty too ... its a dilemma for sure
smile.gif

You offer good advice though, thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKreiger View Post

Once the overall diag has been satisfied, maybe find someone with a z68 board to test the chip in to be completely sure.
But i would definitely say ^^^this route would be a good one. Strongest system, for the least amount of money spent. As for the USB thing. My R3E seems a bit like it's drunk on boot up if i have all my externals, card reader, and thumb drives plugged in. So i went and picked up a good 8 port powered USB 3.0 hub, that has a power switch. Bot the system, and the hit the Hub's switch, for after boot initialization. This the one o picked up.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/438121/7-Port_USB_30_Hub_with_Power_Adapter
All aluminum construction is quite nice
Thanks for confirmation on my thoughts, dont know anyone with a z68 board and even if i did, most people are unliky to unplug a still enthusiast board that is neatly wired up ETC for a quick test in my case, that's a major operation
smile.gif

Probably I'll wait until Monday once everything is discharged and decide than, but for sure with parts I already have as spares, an I7 5820K with fresh 3 year warranty looks like my best bet so far.

Thanks to everyone
thumb.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, did consider this in my opening post, but Z68 boards ar3e hard to find new now and just second hands ones on Ebay that seem over priced to me, they will be out of warranty too ... its a dilemma for sure
smile.gif

You offer good advice though, thanks.
Be happy you aren't looking for any 1366 platform boards... Holy crap!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-LGA-1366-Intel-X58-SATA-6Gb-s-USB-3-0-ATX-Motherboard-RARE-/111992233076?hash=item1a1341dc74:g:u1AAAOSwDuJWuA6N

Seriously... It's used. I don't care how rare. It's computer hardware man!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-ROG-Rampage-III-Extreme-X58-ICH10R-Intel-Core-i7-Xeon-LGA1366-Motherboard-/111951111065?hash=item1a10ce6399:g:ugIAAOSw9mFWM2KG
EDIT: WTH are these people thinking. I just bought my R3E for 150, all accessories

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
+1 to hht92

My experience is boot loops are usually power related. Could be the PSU, could be a short, could also be the board itself.

If it were me I would try the following:

You don't even have to pull the PSU. You can push 2 systems close and just use the 24/8 pin CPU connector from the good PC - Were not looking for windows to boot, just for the board to stay on.

If you still get a boot loop pull the board (your going to have to anyways) and test with a known good PSU, on cardboard box, with just the CPU/heatsink/24/8 pin connector. If it stays on you had a short in the case. If it still loops your down to CPU or Mobo - probably the Mobo.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBT-MatthewH View Post

+1 to hht92

My experience is boot loops are usually power related. Could be the PSU, could be a short, could also be the board itself.

If it were me I would try the following:

You don't even have to pull the PSU. You can push 2 systems close and just use the 24/8 pin CPU connector from the good PC - Were not looking for windows to boot, just for the board to stay on.

If you still get a boot loop pull the board (your going to have to anyways) and test with a known good PSU, on cardboard box, with just the CPU/heatsink/24/8 pin connector. If it stays on you had a short in the case. If it still loops your down to CPU or Mobo - probably the Mobo.
Thanks, I'll give that a go tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts