Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original post:

Hey,

i know there was one guy asking this question ~3 years ago but there has some time passed and i have some more questions ^_^. So my question is:

Is there anyway to get my gpu to run at more than 12.12v core Voltage? Do you know if there is a soft mod?

And if there isnt can anyone tell me if it would work to just solder my own dip switch with pull-up resistors to the Vid0-7 inputs of my Voltage controller "NCP4208" so that each switch sends a 1 when on and a 0 when off? I could then just lookup the correct Voltage in the table of the PDF.
Pretty much like this guy on a gtx680:

NCP4208 - The Datasheet

THX in advance
smile.gif

Edit:

If anyone is looking for FB mod for gigabyte windfore II x3 gtx760 2GB:

This is how i did it:

The fb-mod

Notice the little circle in the top lefit corner of the power management unit for orientation!
Red is plus, black minus in case you want to measure your total resistance after modding (wich you want!). Using a variable resistor would be the best obviously.

Measuring Vcore

How you want to measure your core-Gpu since the software won't show the real Voltage. For me my pre-mod voltage was already 1.255v so maybe you want to check yours before too.
You can use any other GND instead either (mostly the black cables of you power suply
wink.gif
).
Red is plus, black minus.

Obviously i am not responsible for any damage. This is just for those who search the internet and couldnt find a fb mod.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
VID mod is suitable for raising voltage, it may need to be done in conjunction with BIOS mod to allow for the selection in software though.

*If you make an 'array' for the VID switches - just make sure to fully power down before moving them.. in between 'on' and 'off' can be 'short'.. dont want that happening
:glasses

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you mean something like changing vid6 from 0 to 1 to get 12.25V+ and then modding the bios so that the boost pushes it even higher i.e. 1.35V by changin vid 1-5?

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crush3dice View Post

do you mean something like changing vid6 from 0 to 1 to get 12.25V+ and then modding the bios so that the boost pushes it even higher i.e. 1.35V by changin vid 1-5?
Basically yes.

The VID will raise GPUv.. but its still controlled by the BIOS. Without editing your GPU bios, it will not be able to utilize much of the newly available power. To help after VID mod.. you may want to:

*increase TDP limit

*increase voltage sliders to allow BIOS to scale up to your set VID

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. Now i will just say how exactly i would do it.

according to the pdf the Vid7 is locked to 0 and Vid6 locked to 1. Now i would just cut Vid6 from the VCC and ground it like vid7 (just shorten them). So now i have always 1,21875V or more according to the paper.
Before that i would flash my custom Bios (to not roast my GPU instantly with 1.6V
biggrin.gif
). So i would change all Voltages to something between 0,81875V and 0.95V to get 1,21875V - 1.35V after Hard modding it. Is this correct?
For Power i could just shorten a resistor as explained here or change the power limits in the Bios instead.
Did i forget anything? The overclocking itself could be done in Afterburner then instead of flashing 100 different Bioses with different clocks
tongue.gif

THX
smile.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay i figured out that i could get the same effect by changing the feedback loop much easier and better. I dont know though how or where exactly i could change it though>.>.
I added some pictures where i tried to mark all components to figure it out but i didnt get anywhere
frown.gif
. Can anyone help me with FB mod?

Larger view:

My Picture + guesses :/ :

From PDF:

My drawings are just guesses based on what i can see and the PDF.

THX

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
*following your traced path from 'fb': mod would be with 2nd resistor, marked '32. k'. Confirm that one side has continuity to ground before proceeding.

VR size needed is 20* the measured resistance at the mod point: solder middle leg of VR to ground, outer leg to mod point..before powering up, make sure to tune VR back to stock resistance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Edit: Okay i got it
smile.gif
. Thx m8 for assist!
I edited the main post in case somebody is searching for the same mod as i did. If you find any faults please reply!

got the gpu running stable at 1333.6mhz core on load in gpu-z with 1.335V (+0.08V from what i measured before). For some reason boost clock says only 1254mhz though... Still its all the time at 1333.6mhz under load. Memory clock is at 1752Mhz stable without any overvoltage
smile.gif
). TDP maxes at 125% and Temp at ~78°C now. Sadly i can't find any datasheet for up1610p wich is my memory voltage controller... :/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Naa only six legs on each side.
I found this but since i dont speak dutch i can only translate with google and well... Its google translator
biggrin.gif
. I am quite sure the top right leg is FB though but not 100%.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Look for 5770 vmem or 5870 vmem mods. I'm in a car on my way to a concert right now. Lolz. **they have same IC for most reference pcb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found this in a 6670 thread
smile.gif

Will mod the Vmem soon ^_^.
Its actually called up16107 not up1610p. Still there is no datasheet online as far as i cant tell >.>

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Check resistor to make sure:

1. Record resistance at one side
2. Make sure other side of resistor has continuity to ground

If you have both 1 & 2.. pencil it a bit to lower resistance and measure voltage after.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do you find out where to measure the voltage? For the core i knew that its always connected via many parallel capacitors and therefore it was easy to find myself but where could i look for the Vmem?

Edit:

Okay i think i found it by just checking all major capacitors
tongue.gif
. Does 1.39V Idle and 1.63V load sound like a memory voltage?
biggrin.gif

If so then these are points to measure Vmem from:

Edit2:
okay i just pencilmodded that controller. Its called p1610p though NOT p16107. I followed the trace from the top right pin wich has a resistance of 473 to GND.
The trace is dividing into two resistors. One over 1.5k not connected to GND directly and one with 460 Ohm connected directly to GND. I lowered the resistance to 430Ohm resulting in 1.48V idle and 1.73 load. So guess the marked pin is also correct for the p1610p model ^_^.

Edit3: for some reason this only made my Vram run less stable and core to throttle. The PCB got almost too hot too touch (noticed that fast and turned off):O. I changed the last mod back now and nvm the Vram since i already got +550 on stockvoltage.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
I wouldnt go much higher than ~1.68v for mem.. they make things hot real fast on stock cooling.

*these cards will thermal limit before running out of voltage.. so if you want to take advantage of the additional 'juice'.. you need to cool the card another ~10+c to leave headroom for increased clock speeds. As you already witnessed what happens when things get warm.

Good job so far. Grab a 120mm fan to blow on the backside of the core/PCB area and one to direct air at the power phases... that will help keep temps in check a lot better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I already opened the side of my casing, added some carton ~30*30cm to seperate the hot air from cold airflow and added 3 Fans blowing air under the card to create some overpressure under it. I also removed some parts of the cooler blocking the airflow. At 60% fan speed i get 75°C like that. But yeah i already noticed that the cooler the card gets the more clock is possible and tdp also goes down on lower temp. Wich makes sence since TDP is wattage dissipating into heat and more heat = more resistance => more heat right? When temps are under 70°C TDP is under 110%. But if temps are 80°C TDP is 125%
biggrin.gif

I also removed the cooling pads from the memory once when i renewed the thermal conduction paste to get better temps and replaced them by thin aluminium plates (cut out of old cooling ribs) with mx-4 on both sides of it to bridge the gap between cooler and memory. I dont know though if the pads would ve been better there (damaged them accidently). What do you think? I feel like its working better but since i have no temps or experience with it i cant really tell if its better or worse.

Also what do you think is the max core voltage the chip can hold? Atm i just added 0.08V but the voltage was 1.255V stock already eventhough sensors say it was 1.212V. I was wondering since some cards support +0.2V through Afterburner wich is more than twice as much offset.

I will retry the memory with 1.68V then and see
smile.gif

Okay i noticed somedthing weird. For some reason if i increase the memory on stock voltage to +500mhz without any artifacts or glitches happening my GPU powerconsumption does eventually drop from 115% to 98% (clocks and voltage stay the same). This causes me to lose 30% of fps when benchmarking. Usually the gpu is limited to 108% TDP maybe that means something.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
The memory does use error correction.

*when performance decreases it is likely due to:

*speed too high, generated memory errors are flooding bandwidth causing performance to drop (as seen.. core is literally waiting on instructions from RAM)

*voltage too low, causing memory failures

Need more voltage tuning to get the sweet spot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay Vmem is at 1.7V max now but now i am running into "PerfCab Reason Pwr." causeing Core to decrease Voltage. Is there any fix for that? Tdp. is 120%. I've already hit 127% and max. is actually 160%, wich i set in bios but there are many other Power settings wich i didnt change since they are not labeled in "kepler bios tweaker".

1 - 20 of 32 Posts