Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Courtesy of videocardz (link below), we now have a picture of what the final board iteration looks like:

As much as i can tell from the pic, VRMs-wise we're sitting exactly where we were, with a true 8 + a 2x2 courtesy of a doubler for SoC, just like before. Assuming the remaining components have also remained the same (IR3553, etc.), in terms of efficiency we should yet again be on the highest level bar none; going by what we know thus far anyway, to be seen.
Notable are the heatsink "revisions", a plus.
And the 3.0x4 NVMe header sitting below the GPU's slot, like in the 370 variant, a minus. Somehow nobody thought to change that.

A minor note (this is pure opinion) that this appears to lack the 'K' naming variant, so i'd hold my horses before considering it (and judging it) as Gigabyte's top tier.

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-aorus-x470-gaming-7-wifi-leaked

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Reasoning being?
I can't speak for him, but I would say for myself that I like ASRock because it seems to be middle of the road on pricing while having upper middle build quality. Support is pretty well top notch. They do things like aggressively support ECC on their AMD platform boards. The main downside is that their hardware can tend to be flaky if you buy their lower priced stuff. Their top of the line stuff is pretty decent.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Why are so many x470 boards shipping with 8 + 4 pin power connectors? Leaks didn't indicate these the 2700x was that power hungry.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
it seems to be middle of the road on pricing while having upper middle build quality

Starting with a disclaimer, i think very highly of AsRock; if not a Gigabyte, i get an AsRock, no alternatives for me. I don't even consider other brands;
That said, i think if you start looking, really looking, you'll see that your statement is more false than accurate am afraid. In terms of actual quality/performance to price ratio that is.
And because this is the internet, let me clarify further: I do not mean that AsRock mobos perform subpar or that they have any.. flaw or something, merely that they are more expensive (in relation to what they offer) than Gigabyte's, while only occasionally trully better in terms of performance (i'd assume this is what you mean by build quality? Mosfets, capacitors, etc. and what they bring to the table, in actual numbers).

So for me, it's simply a matter of knowing which are these cases (read: platform specific) in which the above stands, ie their being trully better.
One such was with the TR4 platform; there AsRock did better (hence my buying the Taichi), so i 'excused' the higher pricing compared to Giga's.
On the 370 platform.. i saw and see no reason to do likewise. Which is why i said that unless their 470 mobo has a different power delivery system, i would once again favor the Gigabyte offering.
(btw, most of the complaints i've found regarding the Gaming K7 had more to do with horrible airflow, limited user experience and/or flawed preconceptions than any actual issue. And i can speak from experience, i own one; even spreading it out, including Intel platforms, i'd once again say the same regarding Gigabyte products. There have been multiple platforms for which i had Asus, AsRock and Gigabyte mobos to personally compare them with each other. Where it matters, i've always found Gigabyte to deliver; and with a pricing well below that of any competitor)

I can of course understand why anyone would see it differently, to each their own :)

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
Reasoning being?

Gigabyte is known for having way too many revisions of boards with many being bad, you never know which one you are buying, they dont have very good bios support, and because of that last one they have the worst memory support and stability for OCing.

ASRock on the other hand has the best bios support of all the companies, and their top few boards for many generations now on both sides are not only very stable but also have the most features while also tending to be cheaper than the Gigabyte and ASUS boards.

·
The Challenger
2,280 Posts
Reasoning being?
Multiple people have given their perspective, and honestly, theirs is likely more sound than mine. For me, I'm really impressed with the Asrock Taichi motherboards. If the X470 Taichi is as good as expected, I will be getting that one. Never owned a motherboard from either brand by the way. But my experience with Gigabyte graphics cards has refrained me from getting their motherboards.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabytes-aorus-x470-gaming-motherboards-have-been-leaked

This is probably going to be Gigabyte's true return to competitiveness on AM4 if done right , similar to the X299 situation with the X299 G7 Pro. I would have preferred a pin fin heatsink for people that are using AIOs as exhaust, but the heatpipe allows the top part of the VRM heatsink to be semi-effective. It could have been black anodized (instead of adding a random orange stripe at the top) as well since black heatsinks radiate heat better. I would have truncated the Aorus branding over the VRM heatsink as well , so there is no overhang (see x399 Gaming 7).

It's supposedly $239.99 for X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WIFI, $179.99 for X470 AORUS Gaming 5 WIFI, $139.99 for X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming.

I'm looking to see how well Gigabyte learned their lesson as far as VRM heatsinks for x470 G5 & x470 Ultra Gaming. If the VRM is implemented well then the addition of wifi should make the price difference between the G5 and Ultra minimal. It's likely a 8+3 solution on the G5 and Ultra so the heatsinks need to come off to tell what potential there is.

If you ask me the X370 Gaming K7 wasn't as high-end as the X470 G7 should be (just look at the inductors, you don't even need to remove the heatsinks). It dropped all the way to $150-170 new so anyone who bought it lost a minor bit of resale value. The $200 or so it launched at wasn't that amazing given the Asrock x370 Taichi , Biostar x370 GT7, and the later released Asus X370-F STRIX.

·
Registered
569 Posts
FUNCTIONAL HEATSINKS!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the all caps spam... it's just been waaaay too long since manufacturers went for function over form.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
FUNCTIONAL HEATSINKS!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the all caps spam... it's just been waaaay too long since manufacturers went for function over form.
Now... when do copper heatsinks make a comeback?

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Starting with a disclaimer, i think very highly of AsRock; if not a Gigabyte, i get an AsRock, no alternatives for me. I don't even consider other brands;
That said, i think if you start looking, really looking, you'll see that your statement is more false than accurate am afraid. In terms of actual quality/performance to price ratio that is.
And because this is the internet, let me clarify further: I do not mean that AsRock mobos perform subpar or that they have any.. flaw or something, merely that they are more expensive (in relation to what they offer) than Gigabyte's, while only occasionally trully better in terms of performance (i'd assume this is what you mean by build quality? Mosfets, capacitors, etc. and what they bring to the table, in actual numbers).

So for me, it's simply a matter of knowing which are these cases (read: platform specific) in which the above stands, ie their being trully better.
One such was with the TR4 platform; there AsRock did better (hence my buying the Taichi), so i 'excused' the higher pricing compared to Giga's.
On the 370 platform.. i saw and see no reason to do likewise. Which is why i said that unless their 470 mobo has a different power delivery system, i would once again favor the Gigabyte offering.
(btw, most of the complaints i've found regarding the Gaming K7 had more to do with horrible airflow, limited user experience and/or flawed preconceptions than any actual issue. And i can speak from experience, i own one; even spreading it out, including Intel platforms, i'd once again say the same regarding Gigabyte products. There have been multiple platforms for which i had Asus, AsRock and Gigabyte mobos to personally compare them with each other. Where it matters, i've always found Gigabyte to deliver; and with a pricing well below that of any competitor)

I can of course understand why anyone would see it differently, to each their own :)
While I appreciate your perspective, it doesn't conform to what I've seen. Gigabyte had a golden period about ten years ago where their UDx products were desirable because they were boring but rock solid without being overly expensive. Their product lines, at least on the AMD side, went through several rounds of design cheapening which lead to bad experiences for users. Their UD7 boards were the most notorious early on for having power regulators that were inferior even to their less expensive UD3 and UD5 lines.

If imagined as a graph, the relative quality of ASRock and Gigabyte over the last decade seemed to form something like an X where Gigabyte started high and ended low while ASRock did the reverse. Perhaps Gigabyte's AM4 products are fine and well built, but truth be told once they became crappy in the AM3 days I stopped looking and never really saw a reason to re-examine them as a purchase option.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Gigabyte is known for having way too many revisions of boards with many being bad, you never know which one you are buying

"Is known"? Really? By whom? Random 'x' user here? With 489376252 posts, so it's legit?
I will remind you that equally "legit" users, here, have hyped other brand mobos, only to come back less than a year later and admit they had a "bit of an issue" with the uncore/Northbridge, or a bit of an under/overvolting, or.. or. Facts which somehow are being neglected when next platform around, they're still touting that very same brand's mobos as 'bestest'.. a trend that as far as my patience allows for (and i have loads of it) goes back a veeery, very long time around here. I do search you know :)

Now your empirical facts, i accept; say you, as in personally, have had a very bad run because this and that reason; fully respected, after all it happened. But.. "is known"? No mate. But feel free to if you wish.

Now as to your never knowing which revision you're buying; all Giga boards state their revision and always in the exact same format: "(rev.1.0)", "(rev.2.x)", and so on. I'm not sure what you mean there, unless it's a retailer issue you're referring to? 'X' store not mentioning them? Not Giga's fault that; and end of the day, all it takes is an email; if the retailer refrains from telling you, you don't buy.

However, there is one point we will agree on. They do have a worse aftermarket support than other companies. If you're the kind of person that ""needs"" a new BIOS "yesterday" and as such, will download and flash it the minute it's out, then yes, you do stand a good chance of being disappointed. That indeed being a negative, fact.
The question is, must you? I stayed on the F7 was it? Or the F5? Will check. Even though we're on F22 by now. Who gives a ****, if it works, i don't fix it. Why must you, and who told you that's the way to go?
Secondly, this is overclock.net, not casual.com. Did you google before you went and did something as crucial as flashing your BIOS? Did you wait to see what is resolved or introduced prior to plunging in?

So.. all things relative :)
Again though, we will agree on worse/"bad" post-launch support.

as far as VRM heatsinks

You've mentioned the 370's heatsinks so, so many times, i'm honestly wondering if it's a fixation of sorts; and this is putting it mildly, because i can quote you on phrases such as "fries your motherboard". Which tells me everything i need to know about the veracity of your conclusions, but being willing to put my impressions aside, allow me to enquire:
Do you actually own one?
If you do, how is it cooled, on what a chassis and with what kind of an airflow; in terms of direction, intensity and heat recycling (or lack thereof).
Because i do and i've never had an issue, let alone any throttling.

We're all entitled to our opinions. When generalising however, a fact or two can occasionally do wonders.

Now as to the rest? We've got people right here that actually bothered to purchase multiple 370 top-tier mobos and run them all through the very same tests, under the very same clock speeds; and the results spoke greatly in favor of the K7. You're free to be unaware, or even uninterested in any of this. Just take a bit of care before passing your misconceptions or biases as facts.

They are far, far from perfect. But no way near what you make them out to be. So repeatedly at that, i will say it again, that i actually wonder if there are other reasons behind it.

Now on a general note and my apologies for making it this long: I visit this forum frequently because i like overclocking, PC hardware, building and counting and tweaking. All the above revolve around numbers. I love numbers for unless you're an accountant, lol, they do not lie :)
Am not defending Gigabyte here, am defending my reasoning. A reasoning that, whatever its flaws, is at the least focused on numbers. Not preconceptions, not "he said that they said" gossip, not biases, not "looks". Numbers. And i have paid significant amounts of money (which is why she's shouting at me all the time, lol) so as to compare those numbers. It doesn't take long for an enthusiast, of any a hobby, to realise they can only lean so much on randoms; that beyond a point, they need research themselves. Because paradoxically, the more tech-oriented the fora, the more biased (ergo subjective) the regulars. Somehow..

If imagined as a graph, the relative quality of ASRock and Gigabyte over the last decade seemed to form something like an X where Gigabyte started high and ended low while ASRock did the reverse

Agreed on that too. They used to be much better. However, you have to admit that's a bit ambiguous.
So while again, we agree, you're right in this, i'd put an asterisk here. If enthusiast and an overclocker, why go and buy the inferior, cheaper mobo? And if you do, how much of a right have you to complain because it doesn't reach its bigger brothers? Enthusiast and cheap, rarely go hand in hand now do they.
Silver lining. Yes, their lower tier is a lot.. lower by now; fact. But no, one wishing for exceptional power delivery (or whatever) should not be hoping a low tier product will provide it. Especially mind you when the pricing is that low. They cost less than any other brand's and it too is a factor one needs to consider prior to judging.

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Agreed on that too. They used to be much better. However, you have to admit that's a bit ambiguous.
So while again, we agree, you're right in this, i'd put an asterisk here. If enthusiast and an overclocker, why go and buy the inferior, cheaper mobo? And if you do, how much of a right have you to complain because it doesn't reach its bigger brothers? Enthusiast and cheap, rarely go hand in hand now do they.
Silver lining. Yes, their lower tier is a lot.. lower by now; fact. But no, one wishing for exceptional power delivery (or whatever) should not be hoping a low tier product will provide it. Especially mind you when the pricing is that low. They cost less than any other brand's and it too is a factor one needs to consider prior to judging.
While it's certainly possible to get into a discussion about the specifics of what is good, what is bad, and how best to tweak a fine pointed assessment of each brand, I'd like to instead return us to the genesis of your query to me. You asked why someone might prefer ASRock to Gigabyte. I responded with my own general opinion. I don't think that as a general statement it is inaccurate nor does it need asterisks next to it. General statements aren't meant to be a substitute for a detailed breakdown, and I don't have any serious concern that a reasonable reader is going to confuse the two.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
Interesting first thing I see is high end WIMA caps on the Audio circuit that is a big step up.

·
Overclocker
11,636 Posts
Seems same as all the pictures out in the wild for a while now, same heatsinks. I like the functional heatsinks as they should be, don't like the aluminum blocks with no fins one bit. No idea why they bother with a heatpipe though shouldn't make one bit of a difference. Drive slots under x16 ports is not good at all IMHO. Looks nice GB tempting but I will wait for ASRock and other to show their cards if I decide to buy anything at all.

Good caps overall is a plus for sure to have.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You asked. I responded with my own general opinion. I don't think that as a general statement it is inaccurate nor does it need asterisks next to it

We're only having a conversation (entails a back-n-forth) and needless to say your opinion is respected. If however your idea of expressing an opinion is putting it out there and expecting no one to comment on it, or more to it, have a point or two to raise, forums might not be your cup of tea.
Leaving the general and going to the specific, your comment seems to imply you want higher end on the lowest of the low, which is of course unreasonable; it is certainly accurate, as you won't ever get that, so you've got that going for you.
But it is also very unreasonable. Simple logic, hence my saying 'asterisk' on that one. Am mostly repeating myself, i know, but had you been aware, you'd probably not have responded thus, so who can say.

Regardless, it's all good. I was honestly curious and am happy you replied.

Drive slots under x16 ports is not good at all IMHO

Yeah.. :)
I can't understand why they went that way; again. I mean there's probably a technical reason but at some point someone higher up is meant to have a look at a proposed design and spot what's wrong or not. And an NVMe buried under a GPU is glaringly wrong.
(to be fair, i haven't had any thermal issues on mine, but am on a 960 Pro. Had i been on an 8 series, i cannot say; i think those used to run pretty hot?)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Looks good, I just hope we also get decent mATX boards, the 300 series ones are sub par at best...

I already dislike the M.2 slot being under the GPU, fried my first M.2 because it got to hot, they need to be above the GPU or 1 slot below it.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,024 Posts
Why are so many x470 boards shipping with 8 + 4 pin power connectors? Leaks didn't indicate these the 2700x was that power hungry.
Hopefully a 12 core 2800x :p

1 - 20 of 41 Posts