Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, but it'll be my very first time owning an AMD system. I'm considering this motherboard because of what Buildzoid said about it:

I guess this can be a memory recommendation thread for me, but I'm curious how concerned I have to be with this motherboard to make sure it's compatible. I want at least 16 GB (2 x 16 GB) 3600 MHz CL16. I didn't make sure the memory I bought for the system in my signature is compatible, and it works just fine - but it's an Intel system, and it seems the majority of memory kits are meant for Intel systems. I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,217 Posts
Pretty much all ryzen boards will do 3600mhz at CL16. That board seems like a good option as well. However do you really need x570? Most people are fine with B550 boards. Unless they are installing multiple pcie gen 4 ssds.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty much all ryzen boards will do 3600mhz at CL16. That board seems like a good option as well. However do you really need x570? Most people are fine with B550 boards. Unless they are installing multiple pcie gen 4 ssds.
With my ongoing financial situation, it could potentially be another 10+ years before I can upgrade again (unless our government keeps giving us these stimulus checks), so I don't want to be stuck with PCI-E 3.0. Granted, PCI-E 3.0 is still more than good enough right now even for PCI-E 4.0 for video cards, but still.

Do I have to be careful about choosing memory though? Or could I get just about any good kit and it'll just work?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,217 Posts
I think with 3600 cl16 you will fine with pretty much any kit. Once you move to CL15 or Cl14 then it gets harder to chose 3600. However a lot people still try to find samsung B-die sticks.

You still get pcie gen 4 with B550 the top 16x slot is pcie gen 4 and the top m.2 is pcie gen 4. Its the secondary pcie slot and m.2 that is gen 3 on B550.

• Rep+
Reactions: TwoCables

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,316 Posts
why not the aorus pro wifi instead?? better VRM coolers as well..TBH I won't advice X570..unless you want more Gen 4 pcie lanes..and their bios...ugghhh..

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think with 3600 cl16 you will fine with pretty much any kit. Once you move to CL15 or Cl14 then it gets harder to chose 3600. However a lot people still try to find samsung B-die sticks.

You still get pcie gen 4 with B550 the top 16x slot is pcie gen 4 and the top m.2 is pcie gen 4. Its the secondary pcie slot and m.2 that is gen 3 on B550.
Oh yep, I see that now looking into this more closely. Thank you.
why not the aorus pro wifi instead?? better VRM coolers as well..TBH I won't advice X570..unless you want more Gen 4 pcie lanes..and their bios...ugghhh..
The B550 Aorus Pro? Or X570?

And what's wrong with the X570 BIOS? Or, whose X570 BIOS?

Edit: Oh no it has Realtek LAN. I'd rather have Intel.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,316 Posts
Oh yep, I see that now looking into this more closely. Thank you.

The B550 Aorus Pro? Or X570?

And what's wrong with the X570 BIOS? Or, who's X570 BIOS?

Edit: Oh no it has Realtek LAN. I'd rather have Intel.
aside from that, for me personally the presence of a fan on the X570 is itself its demise..just my preference..currently using STRIX B550F Gaming Wifi..

but its your preference..I simply just won't use much PCI-E lanes thats why I bought the B550..

for your AM4 motherboard guidance do check here, this greatly helps..

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aside from that, for me personally the presence of a fan on the X570 is itself its demise..just my preference..currently using STRIX B550F Gaming Wifi..

but its your preference..I simply just won't use much PCI-E lanes thats why I bought the B550..

Are these fans loud?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I asked a question that you didn't catch or see or something.

What's wrong with the BIOS? Whose BIOS are you talking about? X570 in general? Is it only a problem when overclocking?

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,647 Posts
When would that get hot then?
The X570 SB Chipset is, first and foremost, a giant switch that is capable of at least 32GB/s. (8 to/from CPU, 8 to/from other stuff).

The more bandwidth you use off the SB (the more work it has to do), the hotter it will get.

If all you plan to run is your sound card and a SATA SSD, then you will never approach the limits of the chip, and the fan will likely not turn on.

----

That said, it is a nearly unrepairable point of failure should something go wrong.

B550 is really not a bad budget chipset at all, and many are made with excellent VRM sections.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,647 Posts

What's wrong with the BIOS? Who's BIOS are you talking about? X570 in general? Is it only a problem when overclocking?
He means the Gigabyte BIOS UI. It's functional, it will not have stability problems. It's ugly and harder to use than some other brands.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He means the Gigabyte BIOS UI. It's functional, it will not have stability problems. It's ugly and harder to use than some other brands.
I suppose it probably won't be an issue for me since I probably won't overclock since Hardware Unboxed feels overclocking the 5600X isn't worth it. I'll probably go in the BIOS once to disable all unneeded things, set the memory to where I want it, set the boot order, and then maybe never go back in.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,316 Posts

What's wrong with the BIOS? Whose BIOS are you talking about? X570 in general? Is it only a problem when overclocking?
currently now, BIOS is a hit or miss for them..every beta release is surely a beta for most (literally)

at 1st, its not your usual BIOS layout and things are kinda messy..

I suppose it probably won't be an issue for me since I probably won't overclock since Hardware Unboxed feels overclocking the 5600X isn't worth it. I'll probably go in the BIOS once to disable all unneeded things, set the memory to where I want it, set the boot order, and then maybe never go back in.
Hardware wut??

I personally would take that tip with a truck loads of salt..if there is a chip in the Zen 3 lineup that would overclock at a greater margin, the 5600X is that chip..

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
currently now, BIOS is a hit or miss for them..every beta release is surely a beta for most (literally)

at 1st, its not your usual BIOS layout and things are kinda messy..
I'm glad you said something because I found the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING for $159.99. I'm assuming this is just as good as the Intel Z490 version because it looks the same, and Buildzoid had some very very very good things to say about the Z490 version. Plus, I love ASUS's BIOS.

This price is only good for another 3 hours though. Should I order it?

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,316 Posts
I'm glad you said something because I found the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING for $159.99. I'm assuming this is just as good as the Intel Z490 version because it looks the same, and Buildzoid had some very very very good things to say about the Z490 version. Plus, I love ASUS's BIOS.

This price is only good for another 3 hours though. Should I order it?
I wouldn't sugar coat it, but HELL YEAH its a great value board..(for me personally, well organized layout and menu's, very straightforward to use if you wouldn't fiddle much with alot of what nots)..if you don't plan on upgrading in a 2 years (or more) this board can max out a 5900x easy peasy..

if you can find the B550E which has 14+2 power phase delivery then its a good value as well..though the B550F is already fine..all the basic B550 specs are in and the LAN and WIFI are great for me..

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't sugar coat it, but HELL YEAH its a great value board..(for me personally, well organized layout and menu's, very straightforward to use if you wouldn't fiddle much with alot of what nots)..if you don't plan on upgrading in a 2 years (or more) this board can max out a 5900x easy peasy..

if you can find the B550E which has 14+2 power phase delivery then its a good value as well..though the B550F is already fine..all the basic B550 specs are in and the LAN and WIFI are great for me..
Yeah, the E is $230. Not doing that. lol

I think I'll do it. $160 for a great motherboard. I have 3 hours to decide, provided they don't run out.

Edit: Oh, and I was wrong. Buildzoid had great things to say about the Z490-E, not F, but it seems to be the same board for the most part except for the smaller number of VRMs. I was lusting after the Z490-E board when I was convinced I should get an Intel CPU.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,316 Posts
Yeah, the E is $230. Not doing that. lol

I think I'll do it. $160 for a great motherboard. I have 3 hours to decide, provided they don't run out.
The F is already a good value and for that price you can't go wrong..I got mine as well at that SRP..and best is asus gives 3 years warranty for it(registered it online on my ROG account ASAP after a week of testing it, ASUS only grants warranty if the registration is withing 1 month of the purchase date of the receipt/proof of purchase)..so there you have it..

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The F is already a good value and for that price you can't go wrong..I got mine as well at that SRP..and best is asus gives 3 years warranty for it..so there you have it..
Omg. The way I feel at the moment. 10 years of waiting for this moment, and I might be about to order my first part toward a new build. Two new parts, actually. The order will include my new case, the beautiful white/silver Fractal Design Define 7 with a clear tempered glass window. 13 years with the Cooler Master CM 690 and their so-called window side panel. It's like, "I think there's a computer in there. Yep, I see some of it."

1 - 20 of 50 Posts