Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
Future xtreme owner reporting early; will be pairing it with a 3900X; i don't have most folks' obsessions, so a simple all core OC from the BIOS (yes yes, i know about PBO-2-3-X) and a simple RAM OC with tertiaries handled automatically from the mobo is just fine by me :)
Cooled with air no less!

Since a rep is present, i'd also say that i don't care about integrated sound, killer networkzzzz, flashy RGB, sexy looks, or ego-driven "buy the best out there" motivations; i have (already i suppose) chosen the Xtreme because of quality, passive chipset cooling (longevity) and hopefully the typical Gigabyte high end mobo durability.

Will be a while for me however, waiting for Noctua's D15 replacement to come out, waiting to see what Samsung has to offer on the Nvme side of things; sure as hell not buying a Corsair product (currently at least the only option). Lastly, lol, i'm waiting for Sound Blaster to release their new flagship.
Mobo will be a day one purchase however. I've some complaints about Gigabyte, sure, but they're my first choice, have been for some time now ^^

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
As far as i understand this? You want it on Ryzen Balanced, no matter what, where or when;
What changes are the settings in said power plan:

- If for example you don't use dedicated software (say Ryzen Master) and have a BIOS all core-OC, ideally you max out core speed and power allowance, disable power savings, etc;
- If you do make use of PBO for example or any other software-related feature, you want to keep both core and power settings at default.

The reasoning has been covered here and there, but in short, the less power your CPU is currently consuming (and therefore the less heat it outputs, both come into play), the higher it will shoot up when PBO kicks in and/or the longer it will stay there, hence the above. Inversely, when you have a fixed frequency all core overclock no matter what, you've nothing to gain from any of these "opportunistic boost" features, they won't even be activated for you. So naturally, the higher you keep its cycles, the better. So again Balanced, but with everyhting maxed out or disabled accordingly.
Of course there are two further factors one needs to consider, one being unecessary power draw and the other the actual (read: tangible) use of a steady 4200ish overclock. I won't go into either, as frankly it's more of a stance thing than anything else.

* small note here as i see that "1903" mentioned a lot. All it does, all it does, is ensure the cores speed up or down a touch faster, or more strictly speaking, that there's a reduced latency between the instruction to modify frequence and its execution. Useless in the first scenario (stable all-core OC) and of minimal benefit in the latter (PBO) as has been shown by actual testing. Furthermore if not already evident, nothing to do with the NUMA/UMA-aware issue in non-monolithic designs of Windows Scheduler; that remains broken and equally frankly? Slightly on purpose, lol, but that's a different topic. Don't rush to 1903 and the new full screen ""exclusive"" headaches -which btw can no longer be disabled- unless you really need to, aka know what you're doing. Newest is not always best.

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
@GBT-MatthewH I will understand if your time schedule does not allow for an answer, but if you could be so kind.. Am planning for a second build, will be using the Master on that one; and i'd like to replace the stock chipset cooling solution with a proper (read: from back then) chipset cooler.
Could you specify the mounting dimensions please? Just so i know what cooler can fit? Hole center to hole center, that kind of thing? There must be a diagram somewhere, your side of things?

Would sincerely appreciate this.

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
See you and raise, HR-55, lol
(good thing i kept it huh..)

Out of curiosity, did you also happen to have kept those, or are they new purchases? Didn't think they'd be still available.

*Edit: GBT_Matthews, humble reminder about chipset cooler compatibility (mounting dimensions, a mere hole center to hole center distance, whatever you're in a position/allowed to provide)

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
anyone chime in?
Lucky you, still "on order" for me.. waiting game :)

As to your issue, the usual troubleshooting steps are a good start really.. i mean no offense, but it's rather logical if you find replies lacking. BIOS to default, then to to second BIOS and repeat, then to BIOS flashing (sometimes it doesn't go through as it should, hence re-trying), then removing components one by one and retrying, then trying same USB peripherals by connecting them in different headers, again one at a time, etc. etc. Including where possible switching components with others of the same kind and seeing whether the issue persists. All this assuming you haven't messed with something you shouldn't.
That green in particular however screams GPU and even though you say drivers fixed it, truth is it's 99,99999% a hardware issue; may or may not appear again, so some extra looking into on that alone is also warranted.

Would also help if you started a thread so that more people could see it. System specs and steps already taken included.

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
kept them all
That explains it :)
I find the thought of brand new chipset coolers coming out (or being re-launched) both endearing and amusing, but it was always a possibility, taking what was once part of "Southbridge" back out again; we never quite solved that, just got lax thanks to fabrication leaps.
Would be kinda nice if we ever got back there! Interesting for sure anyway ^^

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
The holes are not standard. I requested mechanical drawings for the PCH fans and VRM section, incase you guys wanna get super crazy and make a custom VRM block or something lol.
Oh man thank you SO much for this, honestly appreciated!
(and highly anticipated, lol.. got CnCing to do as it seems, need get me prepped)
Thanks again for taking the time to ask, really!

As to AlphaC's comment, both HR-05 and HR-55 can be rotated on their horizontal axis without affecting their cooling capacity; they also happen to have a skewed/asymmetrical design, which -combined with the rotational.. 'aspect'- allows for a lot of wiggle room.
I'd know as i've used one, wouldn't i :rolleyes:

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
For someone looking at a highend x470 (Gaming 7) or x570 (AORUS Elite or Pro), is there anything specific I should look at?
If the higher RAM frequency is also not of interest to you (it being platform related), i'd get the X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi and happily call it a day. And for multiple reasons at that.
On the other hand, if you aren't interested in PCIE 4.0 (ergo new NVMEs), or in having an extra -actually usable- PCIE slot, or in RAM freqs.. what exactly constitutes high end for you? The extra 200ish MHz an OC could give you? 'Cause you could get those with a 450 as well, no need for "high end".

Nice to have choices, long as we take advantage of them :)

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
Since someone posted a ""review"" video of the Aorus Xtreme..
(and no offense to the poster, comment would have been the same no matter the source)

Please be careful with what you post please, especially if it's a ""review""; meaning that if you have watched something before you link it here, make the extra effort and point out the inconsistencies, errors, etc; don't just paste vids.
99% of the sites out there spread the wrong information around, we don't need to do that as well.
When someone loads Prime to test an X570 mobo's chipset's temps ... need i say more? No :)

It's an excellent board, that has thus far not being graced with an excellent review; a very common phenomenon. Unofrtunately.

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
torture testing the passive cooling capacity using Ryzen 9 3900X with Prime95 w/AVX while playing The Witcher 3
Lacking comprehension is fine; they do too; which is also fine sadly, as that's what Youtubers are in their vast majority; just like every other random Joe, only with free toys.
The problem lies, again, when lacking understanding, we add our voice to that of others, until in the end a falsehood passes for truth. Not a novel concept, now is it.
Worse still when, rather than verifying, we insist on being correct because other millennials with free toys said so.

You want to test how hot this chipset gets, you put on a couple of gen4 NVMes, in the chipset controlled NVMe slots; you put one or two HDDs in the chipset controlled SATA ports; and while you're simulating some semi-intensive workload on them all (semi because we're after realistic stuff, not synthetic benchmarks), you simultaneously make sure your internet bandwidth is capped or near enough; if/when being also controlled by the chipset (see dual jacks). Again, simultaneously.
THAT is how you test THIS chipset, for TEMPS.
(do you even know what Prime does? Really, really does? Are you sure you do..?)

Unless again you're one of those people getting free toys and thinking freedom of speech = right to pass around whatever misinformation you like. Because "Youtuber".
('you' and 'we' figuratively)

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
GB-Matthews, assuming you're at liberty to discuss this;

Any reason why the Xtreme has both LAN phys wired to the chipset? I remember seeing an AMD published diagram showing how the CPUs allow for one to be wired directly to them, only this isn't the case here? Why.. :)

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
Random (not in the slightest, but..) musings;

This is a forum for the kind of people that go to extremes for marginal improvements one would probaly not be able to experience outside synthetic tests. Regardless, here we all are; self included.
A forum for "enthusiasts"! Such as you reading this now, or you, having issues such as the ones i keep reading about, have been reading about, for over a decade now. "Enthusiasts" nonetheless.

And yet..
- No dedicated fan controller; i guess 180euro, hell, 59euro for the cheaper version (Aquaero) is too much, right? More so considering you only buy it once? But spending twice the money on fans (because they have RGB), extra money on RGB controllers, bubble effects and glass panels? Sure, anytime! Wasting 3, 4 or 5 grand on a system that will be obsolete this time next year? Anytime! But heaven forbid you do a one time purchase of 179,9. Smart huh.
- No dedicated sound solution; even though again, it can be a one time purchase (if, say, external. Plus, it will sound better than anything your mobo has plastered on it); and for cheap too! But no, let us be stingy, let us all depend on whatever is bundled because hey, cheaper! But are we not "enthusiasts"!? Oh yessiree, are we not. RGB pwnag3!!!1
- wifi.. we spend thousands upon thousands of dollars/euros per build, but we have yet to sort out our house, so each room can have a dedicated plug! Just one! It doesn't cost a lot, it's an investment (can't escape the net anymore can you), it's (again) a once in a lifetime kind of thing, sorting your plugs, and one we can do on our own! But do we? Nope.. even though we know nothing will ever beat the cable, we stick to wifi; and aaaaall the issues that may stem from it, in quality of service, in security, in setting things up. Because you guessed it, "enthusiasts"!

I could go on.
In short however, let me simply conclude by stating that had you done your part/invested your money the smart, long-run kind of way? The vast majority of you would not have had a single issue. You wouldn't even have needed to post here.
Yet here you are.

Food for thought.
* it's like a certain famous poster here, doing crazy radiator setups, wasting thousands of bucks per single build, but refusing to buy an A/C unit. They live in a proper tropical climate. Whole house like an oven, but instead of a onetime A/C purchase? Multiple rads; per build. I can live with a 20C temp delta, even 25.. because i invested in an A/C. Once. Due to their conditions however, that they refuse to amelliorate, they cannot go above a 5c delta; their crazy ambients.. hence the inordinate amounts of money for multiple rads. Sense? None. Also an "enthusiast" however.

· Tetrapyloctomist
1,766 Posts
It's still supposed to work. Let's not make excuses
No one's making excuses; you're just being.. a bit immature (don't get offended please) and/or perhaps merely succumbing to wishful thinking.

Sure, everything should work perfectly, sure, everything needed should be included, etc. etc. I don't discard the theory.
But now welcome yourself to reality, where nothing -is- perfect and where, even if everything's included? It's not intended for you. Rather, it is intended for a mainstream user and/or the stingy "enthusiast" that expects millisecond perfection with 585762352 extra dials and functions from an integrated mini controller with no extra cost or heat dissipation; one that fits in mere millimeters of mobo space at that... because 'muh rights'.

You want extra bells and whistles, you want fan revolutions fine-tuning above and beyond the.. average, you pay for them. Just like everywhere else.
Or you post here about all the problems you have, your call. Just don't include me in juvenile pseudo-philosophical/ethically-oriented discussions, not the forum for those. I mentioned facts, you're always free to discard them. And as to facts?

The three most common issues, by far, with mobos are:
i) integrated cards (sound or visual)
ii) integrated wireless solutions
iii) fan powering and controlling.
For over a decade now.

So smell that coffee, or stay here and complain about why, in a capitalist system, nothing's perfect, but in fact profit-driven... surprise.. but really, do.
In the meantime, i'll do something with my fully functioning system if that's O.K.

(life.. we deal with it as it is, not as we'd have wanted it to be. It being why i implored you not get offended. You don't always have to like it; but you do have to acknowledge it)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts