Overclock.net banner

12101 - 12120 of 12407 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just loaded 31k

1st launch - enabled XMP profile (4000) and no effects, RAM went to default mode
2nd launch - enabled manually 3800 / 1900 with 1.4V 1.1 SOC VDDP 950 VDDGs 1100 etc. Not too tight timings ("safe")
desktop -> HWinfo -> Ryzen DRAM Calculator -> launched memory bench.

After ~10 minutes I got 4 WHEA erros.
With previous bioses I was getting around 100-200 errors per minute, with previous bios I would be way over 1k WHEA errors by this time.

I think there is a progress and hope :) yes, this is a short 15 minute test, but this is way way better than it was although the errors are stilll there. I will work on those on Monday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seems like the level cache3 on the Ryzen 7 3700x is almost double compared to the Ryzen 7 5800x according to the aida64 cache and memory benchmark. This is my current benchmark:

My Specs:

PC Case – Lian Li PC-08

Motherboard – Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master

CPU – AMD Ryzen 3700x

GPU (Graphics Card) – Asus Rog Strix GeForce GTX 1080 A8G

PSU – EVGA Supernova 1600 G2 80 Gold 1600w

CPU water Cooler – Corsair Hydro series H100i RGB Platinum 240mm Radiator

Hard Drives:
 Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (Main hardrive mostly for operating system)
 Sabrent 512GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (mainly used for running software)
 Toshiba P300 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 inch (mainly used for storage)
 Western Digital Blue WD40EZRZ 4TB 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache (mainly used for storage)
 Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache (mainly used for storage)

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-3200C14D-16GVK 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

Lighting and Fan controller - Corsair Commander Pro Digital RGB controlled with Corsair iCUE software

Fan Hub - SilverStone PWM Fan Hub

Mouse – Logitech G502 Hero

Keyboard - VicTsing Gaming Keyboard

·
Registered
91 Posts
Seems like the level cache3 on the Ryzen 7 3700x is almost double compared to the Ryzen 7 5800x according to the aida64 cache and memory benchmark. This is my current benchmark
Yeah you're on to some thing. It does make sense though when compared to ram and ranks discussion: 8 cores sharing 1 large stack of memory compared to 2 stacks, though the mem is split sort of 4 and 4 cores. Most programs seem to benefit from the better latency of Zen3 so the trade off was worth it compared to raw benchmark speeds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So what are your specs and benchmarks currently?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys!

Does anyone have problems with newer bios versions on his x570 mainboard?

The last version that works with my x570 aorus elite is f12h. Flashing any newer version results in a blackscreen.
(F20,F21,F30)

After flashing the board will not POST anymore. The fans are running at low speed and nothing else happens.

I tried every possible way to update the bios. @BIOS, Q-Flash, Q-Flash-plus, tried different keyboards, another ram-kit, changed the gpu. No improvement at all
:(

After flashing back to an older bios version, everyhting works as expected.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to get newer versions work? F20 and newer bios versions have a more recent agesa version included. Could there be some correlation? Is there any way to update the agesa included in the bios? bios-mod or something like that ? Or could the cpu be faulty?

F4 - Boot ok
F10 - Boot ok
F11 - Boot ok
F12h - Boot ok
F20 - won't boot
F21 - won't boot
F30 - won't boot

·
Registered
97 Posts
You won't see a drastic difference unless you change the PBO Limits setting from AUTO to MOTHERBOARD or Manual limits and use the Curve Optimizer.

For example, PBO Limits on Auto with +XXX boost and CO not enabled give me roughly the same results as stock. Enabling CO with a negative offset boosts my cores to the set PBO boost and improves my single and multicore perf at slightly more power draw 137w for CPU package power. Setting PBO limits to Motherboard on top of that provides insane all core boost but comes at the cost of heat and power. I hit 210w CPU package power and had an all core CB20 boost to 4.575 when using CO neg 10 all core and +100 boost. You'll need to work through the settings and tweak for stability because using CO and PBO with boost can get hairy.
So CO is the trick here? Just enabling PBO, adding +200MHz and setting limits to Motherboard isn't enough?

Strange. I thought I saw this guy just enabling PBO and +200MHz which instantly gave him 200 MHz more (single thread boosting to 5,05-5,1GHz). But maybe he did use CO which I must have missed in that case. I don't have CO yet but am thinking about F31e which some have reported being stable?

Hey guys!

Does anyone have problems with newer bios versions on his x570 mainboard?

The last version that works with my x570 aorus elite is f12h. Flashing any newer version results in a blackscreen.
(F20,F21,F30)

After flashing the board will not POST anymore. The fans are running at low speed and nothing else happens.

I tried every possible way to update the bios. @BIOS, Q-Flash, Q-Flash-plus, tried different keyboards, another ram-kit, changed the gpu. No improvement at all
:(

After flashing back to an older bios version, everyhting works as expected.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to get newer versions work? F20 and newer bios versions have a more recent agesa version included. Could there be some correlation? Is there any way to update the agesa included in the bios? bios-mod or something like that ? Or could the cpu be faulty?

F4 - Boot ok
F10 - Boot ok
F11 - Boot ok
F12h - Boot ok
F20 - won't boot
F21 - won't boot
F30 - won't boot
Tried loading Optimized settings, then clear CMOS, then Efiflash /C going from a working BIOS to a newer BIOS?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the Sound Crackle thing fixed or is there a Solution?
I have the same issues on Ch7, tried Voltages and Drivers.Not Helping.

It is definitily a Hardware thing, crackling also with a Linux Boot so no driver or latency issue.

Maybe Shielding, reading it often even on some Intel Boards.Im pissed that no Hardware Reviewer is focussed on Testing Sound performance, ch7 is also a Board which is not an entry level Board.
The fact that it can happen on every Board makes it really tough for me to replace it with another asus, looking @b550, but looks like nobody cant say 100% what is the root problem for the cracklings.

·
Old crazy guy
1,739 Posts
Is the Sound Crackle thing fixed or is there a Solution?
I have the same issues on Ch7, tried Voltages and Drivers.Not Helping.

It is definitily a Hardware thing, crackling also with a Linux Boot so no driver or latency issue.

Maybe Shielding, reading it often even on some Intel Boards.Im pissed that no Hardware Reviewer is focussed on Testing Sound performance, ch7 is also a Board which is not an entry level Board.
The fact that it can happen on every Board makes it really tough for me to replace it with another asus, looking @b550, but looks like nobody cant say 100% what is the root problem for the cracklings.
If it's the Ryzen specific crackling issue, it can be fixed almost 100% of the times.
You need to find the right voltages for VSOC, VDDG CCD & IOD.
But it depends on the IF and memory OC.
Sometimes with the highest IF your CPU can support, it can't be fixed.
It's just too much for it and you nee to scale back the IF speed 1 notch or lower the memory timings.
But also in this case it's very common you can fix it with a very high VSOC voltage, depends what you choose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have no sound crackling issues .. if you have it it`s something else! Have both 3700X and 5800X systems.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So anyone else having the problem that the IF no longer downclocks even though SOC uncore OC is disabled (in both places) and DF cstates enabled? Seems to have only happened on 31h and 31k. 31e seemed to not have this problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like your tRFC is pretty high - should try to get it under 300. Also GDM (Gear down mode) works better set to Disabled and you could also go lower on your ProcODT. Have you tried to overclock your memory to 1866mHZ - I have tried but cant seem to get mem tests without errors so I'm at 1800mHZ like you are.

• Rep+
Reactions: iRX

·
Registered
102 Posts
No crackling sound here, either...over the past 17 months with both a 3600X and a 3900X, x570 Aorus Master...first I've heard of a "Ryzen crackling sound" event...;) Here's my 3733Mhz 4x8GB AIDA 64 cache & memory bench, except for the 16 19 19 19 39 68 1T Gear Down settings, all other settings on Auto. I'm content.

cachemem.png

·
Registered
11 Posts
I include now your board on TT forum.

Btw,

X570 series BIOS bump to F31k.
@stasio firstly thank you Sir, please find some preliminary notes from my testing of F31k - hope this is useful feedback.

1. Loading XMP - in my case F4-4000C16-16GTRS has no result, RAM goes to normal 2300 however BIOS is showing that XMP profile is on. Sth wrong there definitely
2. Manual setting of 3800 RAM (loose timings) and 1900 IF results in WHEA errors. Small number of errors comparing to other bioses (1 error per few minutes vs. 100-200 errors per minute). I believe it is worth tryuing if I can "stabilize" this.
3. Manual setting of 3600 RAM (loose timings) and 1800 IF - no errors, all memory tests passing
4. Manual setting of 3600 RAM (tighter timings - below) and 1800 IF - no errors, all memory tests passing.
5. No tests of Manual 4000 RAM / 2000 IF due to point no 2.

I would say F31k is definitely improved, however this XMP does not seem right. It should enable XMP and put IF to some "auto" not just load plain defaults.

Current RAM

and some HWInfo

Thank you again - please include my board in all betas, will be testing further on, I think I should be getting 1900-2000 IF / 3800-4000 RAM and obviosuly XMP should work fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So CO is the trick here? Just enabling PBO, adding +200MHz and setting limits to Motherboard isn't enough?

Strange. I thought I saw this guy just enabling PBO and +200MHz which instantly gave him 200 MHz more (single thread boosting to 5,05-5,1GHz). But maybe he did use CO which I must have missed in that case. I don't have CO yet but am thinking about F31e which some have reported being stable?

Tried loading Optimized settings, then clear CMOS, then Efiflash /C going from a working BIOS to a newer BIOS?
F31e doesn’t have CO either but is stable for me. F31g I think was first one they added CO. I’m still waiting a bit for more reports of stability in the recent beta bioses

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes and no. CO seems to help the single core boost significantly. When I first starting testing it and tried +200 with a neg offset of 15 on all cores I was seeing cores hit 5150 but the system wasn't stable. Leaving out CO for a second, if I just set +boost with Limits on auto I didn't see much of a difference. I noticed that occasionally a core might boost higher but it wasn't reflected in perf benchmarks.

PBO Limits on Auto doesn't raise the limits. Manually setting the limits or using the motherboard limits should impact all core boost even without +boost or CO. Adding boost to it might help it boost higher on top of that but it'll depend on all the other factors that impact PBO. Setting CO on top of boost and mobo limits helps the single and multicore boost higher. Setting the PBO limits generates a massive amount of heat and power draw so that's something you might consider as you tune.

In an attempt to summarize:
  • PBO Limits set to Auto with no other changes has little to no impact on performance or clocks for single or multicore
  • PBO Limits set to Auto with +boost might provide higher single core max boost but it probably won't have significant impact on perf
  • PBO Limits set to Auto with +boost and CO set will provide single and multicore boost with perf increase to both
  • PBO Limits set to manual/mobo with no other changes will have massive multicore increase but not single and it might even go down.
  • PBO Limits set to manual/mobo with +boost will have multicore perf increase and possibly single as well but I didn't see much
  • PBO Limits set to manual/mobo with +boost and CO will greatly increase single and multicore perf

F31k seems pretty stable to me. I can run my ram at 3800CL16, even 14, again like I could on F31e. F31e doesn't have CO but all of the versions after do.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm currently on a Crosshair VIII Hero. I've got a Master I could try out and I'm wondering if you guys think I should. It seems all boards are having some type of issues with these newer bios though?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, thanks for your reply. :) I tried loading optimized settings before flashing a more recent version. I didn't tried efiflash /C yet. I cleared CMOS via battery and jumper multiple times after flashing a newer bios, but unfortunately that didn't work either. Could you give me a quick guide in which order I should do the mentioned steps?

·
Old crazy guy
1,739 Posts
Hi, thanks for your reply. :) I tried loading optimized settings before flashing a more recent version. I didn't tried efiflash /C yet. I cleared CMOS via battery and jumper multiple times after flashing a newer bios, but unfortunately that didn't work either. Could you give me a quick guide in which order I should do the mentioned steps?
Format a USB stick with Rufus to boot in DOS:

Download the BIOS and extract it on the usb stick, efiflash is included in the zip file.

Flash with efiflash using the /C switch after the bios filename.

efiflash filename <options>

/S Save current BIOS file to a backup file on your USB stick
/C Clear DMI
/R Reboot
/X Force Flash
/DB Update both main & backup BIOS

·
Registered
293 Posts
12101 - 12120 of 12407 Posts