Overclock.net banner

12401 - 12420 of 14585 Posts

·
486DX2 66
3,682 Posts
Is this a known issue and I'm just late to the party:

My 3700x rig (x570 aorus pro wifi, 2x16GB G.skill 3600 hynix D) has been crashing relentlessly for over a year now but I haven't had time to really deal with it. Fully stress test stable, memtest stable, drives stable, but endless crashes while browsing or idling. Changing power plans / changing chipset drivers makes no difference. Reformatting no difference. Due to that it's basically just become my backup PC while I slave away on an ancient bulldozer system.

I found "timmy joe pc tech" video where he shows that his review sample 3700x would crash constantly on any gigabyte board but work fine with any other brand. From the comments I saw a few folks conclude that it was a voltage issue.. sure enough I've disabled c-states and jacked load line calibration and I've been rock solid stable for over a week. This is not a review sample but the board and CPU were launch day purchases.

IIRC it was stable when I first built it but after the first bios update it became increasingly unstable, by the time F30 came around I would crash 10-20 times a day -- this includes with default bios and PBO off.

Has been a very disappointing rig to own overall, especially after dropping $200+ on the motherboard. Glad it seems to be stable now but damn, figured I better write this down incase anybody else in the universe still has the same issue.

·
Registered
460 Posts

My 3700x rig (x570 aorus pro wifi, 2x16GB G.skill 3600 hynix D) has been crashing relentlessly for over a year now but I haven't had time to really deal with it. Fully stress test stable, memtest stable, drives stable, but endless crashes while browsing or idling. Changing power plans / changing chipset drivers makes no difference. Reformatting no difference. Due to that it's basically just become my backup PC while I slave away on an ancient bulldozer system.

I found "timmy joe pc tech" video where he shows that his review sample 3700x would crash constantly on any gigabyte board but work fine with any other brand. From the comments I saw a few folks conclude that it was a voltage issue.. sure enough I've disabled c-states and jacked load line calibration and I've been rock solid stable for over a week. This is not a review sample but the board and CPU were launch day purchases.

IIRC it was stable when I first built it but after the first bios update it became increasingly unstable, by the time F30 came around I would crash 10-20 times a day -- this includes with default bios and PBO off.

Has been a very disappointing rig to own overall, especially after dropping $200+ on the motherboard. Glad it seems to be stable now but damn, figured I better write this down incase anybody else in the universe still has the same issue.
Thats what i said three pages ago but finally someone else to confirm. :)

I run +0.05V offset with LLC5 now and every single problem that i have ever had after upgrading to F30+ BIOS is gone.

I am finally able to go back to healthy SOC voltages, my RAM timings are tight again. I don't know if my CPU will survive it but my temps are not even close to being an issue.

Later BIOS versions are not optimized for trash tier early adopter Zen2 SKUs anymore. All Zen3 are overachievers...imho whatever voltage logic they have in later AGESA ****s with early Zen2 CPUs.

I remember with early BIOS version that the voltage went up to 1.55V with PBO2....now i have to put +0.05V offset to get 1.575V PBO2 peaks. So in theory, +0.025 offset with LLC4 should work, too.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dhoulmagus

·
486DX2 66
3,682 Posts
Thats what i said three pages ago but finally someone else to confirm. :)

I run +0.05V offset with LLC5 now and every single problem that i have ever had after upgrading to F30+ BIOS is gone.

I am finally able to go back to healthy SOC voltages, my RAM timings are tight again. I don't know if my CPU will survive it but my temps are not even close to being an issue.

Later BIOS versions are not optimized for trash tier early adopter Zen2 SKUs anymore. All Zen3 are overachievers...imho whatever voltage logic they have in later AGESA ****s with early Zen2 CPUs.

I remember with eary BIOS version that the voltage went up to 1.55V with PBO2....now i have to put +0.05V offset to get 1.575V PBO peaks. So in theory, +0.025 offset with LLC4 should work, too.
Glad you figured this out too... I would imagine gigabyte is aware of this by now?? I do plan to eventually upgrade to a better CPU in another 6-12 months but I find it pretty comical that we have to resort to manual voltages just to run a $339? CPU.

I too had completely given up on memory overclocking / IF overclocking due to the massive instability.. so I guess I can give that a shot later on today and actually squeeze a bit more out of this system.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Glad you figured this out too... I would imagine gigabyte is aware of this by now?? I do plan to eventually upgrade to a better CPU in another 6-12 months but I find it pretty comical that we have to resort to manual voltages just to run a $339? CPU.

I too had completely given up on memory overclocking / IF overclocking due to the massive instability.. so I guess I can give that a shot later on today and actually squeeze a bit more out of this system.
I agree 100% but then again, maybe its our fault that we changed to a BIOS optimised for Zen3. I always upgraded because it said "better memory support" additionally.

I also wanted to wait another 6 months before upgrading...but maybe i have to do it earlier, if my CPU degrades. Thankfully i would have a use for it in my Emulation rig.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dhoulmagus

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi everyone i have aorus x570 master, latest bios , windows 2004 fully updated , and i have big connectivity issues on the realtek 2.5gb adapter is unusable with latest driver , just resets itself or completely looses connectivity, i am forced to use the intel one, anyone having connectivity issues with realtek 2.5gb lan adapter? error on event viewer is always the same The network interface "Realtek Gaming 2.5GbE Family Controller" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands. This network interface has reset 2 time(s) since it was last initialized.

You've posted exactly the same in the Unify thread. Do you have both boards and Realtek problems on both?

·
Registered
254 Posts

I used to have a 3700x on an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. I found out pretty early on that I had to run + offset on my voltage when PBO is enabled. This doesn't seem to be isolated to Gigabyte boards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Done some tinkering, with negative values etc. This is what I achieved so far. View attachment 2467347 View attachment 2467348
Hey awesome scores! What are your VRM, vcore voltage and what PBO settings in bios? I'm still getting terrible scores on my aorus master/5950x made some improvement but still 629 R20 single and sub 10000 multi. Really could use some help optimizing the bios settings to get performance. With default setting I get 667 in CPUz single thread. I've noticed my cores will not boost but for a second and never holds the boost I got 2 cores that go to 5125mhz 2 others that do 5050mhz but it wont hold the boost even with 60c temps. So confused. I installed the latest ryzen chipset driver and I dont have the ryzen power plan options. Could that be the problem? I've uninstalled and reinstalled the chipset drivers and ryzen master still doesn't show up in the windows power plan section.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey awesome scores! What are your VRM, vcore voltage and what PBO settings in bios? I'm still getting terrible scores on my aorus master/5950x made some improvement but still 629 R20 single and sub 10000 multi. Really could use some help optimizing the bios settings to get performance. With default setting I get 667 in CPUz single thread. I've noticed my cores will not boost but for a second and never holds the boost I got 2 cores that go to 5125mhz 2 others that do 5050mhz but it wont hold the boost even with 60c temps. So confused. I installed the latest ryzen chipset driver and I dont have the ryzen power plan options. Could that be the problem? I've uninstalled and reinstalled the chipset drivers and ryzen master still doesn't show up in the windows power plan section.

vcore = auto
vsoc=1.1
dram=1.5

3800Mhz, FCLK 1900 15/14/14/14/28/42 TRFC 245 (128ns) with zentimings 1.2.1

VDDG 1150
VDDP1000

PBO = motherboard

Curve optimiser -15 on 2 best cores and rest -50

+100 mhz

Scalar auto

Thermal auto

LLC vcore auto
LLC vsoc high

·
Registered
67 Posts
lol -50 scalar do you mean -5? There is 0% chance any cpu would boot with a -50...I tried these settings (-5 instead of -50) performance was worse than default settings

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is there a good guide floating around on best way to use Curve Optimizer and PBO for 5600x's? I'm still on F30e so I dont have the feature yet, but planning on installing F30j (that's the best latest stable one for DRAM overclocking right? Right now I'm just using Auto-OC setting from Ryzen Master but it seems like I can do better since my temps are fine with a FUMA2 cooler.

Unrelated but there was some discussion about HPET awhile back. Should that be Enabled or Disabled in Windows with TimerBench? I guess benchmark wise there seemed to be a slight boost to Enabling it when I tried.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, count me into the not-happy-with-31L crew...

5900X / X570 Master / 2x32 Ballistix 3600 CL16

With 31J, I was running XMP, PBO: MB Limits, +200, -10 all CO. Almost no WHEA, but I was getting some random reboots, once every couple days (no Windows crash logs written)

With 31L, using those same settings, CB20 was showing slight gains, but WHEA errors stacking up like crazy. Even reverting to PBO:enabled is still throwing a lot of WHEA.

Trying to decide whether it's even worth trying 31K, or if I just revert to 31J for now.

How annoying is it that you have to redo all your fan curves after each flash? Is it safe to load optimized defaults, tweak only the Smart Fan curves, save the profile to a file, and load that profile into a different BIOS revision?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought this might be helpful, since all the setting data people post gets scattered throughout the thread, and can have some missing details, so I created a Google Sheet to track settings:

Feel free to add columns for more important settings, this is just a rough framework. It might help us identify patterns on each BIOS revision, of what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was able to get some nice CB20 scores with my 5600x but unfortunately the Curve optimizer is not matured. On Multi-threaded workloads, the processor can perform at lesser volts but needs some boost in lightly threaded workloads.
Hence application does not crash on CB20 but does so in games. I finally rested with setting CO all cores to -16.

So trying to get the system stable using CO is very difficult and needs work. The lesser the temps the boost clock will hold longer, Even a single digit temperature increase can cause you to lose boost clocks up to 150Mhz.

·
Registered
314 Posts
How annoying is it that you have to redo all your fan curves after each flash? Is it safe to load optimized defaults, tweak only the Smart Fan curves, save the profile to a file, and load that profile into a different BIOS revision?
From my experience this will not work, it will just refuse to load profile at least for different revision. I ended up just using external fan controllers anyway, because I had a number of issues where certain fan header would not give fan enough voltage to startup after resuming from sleep.

·
Registered
216 Posts
lol -50 scalar do you mean -5? There is 0% chance any cpu would boot with a -50...I tried these settings (-5 instead of -50) performance was worse than default settings
yeah -50

·
Registered
216 Posts
Have you checked stability or is it just for benching?
I have not have the time to check stability 100%, but I guess its not 100% stable.
Something is strange with bios updates, they aint working good at the moment, hope Gigabyte fix it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have not have the time to check stability 100%, but I guess its not 100% stable.
Something is strange with bios updates, they aint working good at the moment, hope Gigabyte fix it.
Ok, It is not stable for me when I did 30 negative for non- best cores and 15 for the best 2 but I could do benchmarks.
In gaming it will cause instant crash as the same boost clocks cannot be achieved by all the cores with the given negative offset.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ok, It is not stable for me when I did 30 negative for non- best cores and 15 for the best 2 but I could do benchmarks.
In gaming it will cause instant crash as the same boost clocks cannot be achieved by all the cores with the given negative offset.
Yeah, feel the same, think we need new chipset drivers, new bios and some tweaks so its stable with gpu aswell when gaming.

12401 - 12420 of 14585 Posts