Overclock.net banner

681 - 700 of 841 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
the ram can have smaller setting then board has on a few things lol... so i think its a good ram in case they get it working. I make you a quick bench, i know how it is to wait.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What are you guys thinking for a 5900x with the Master just using XMP?
  1. 4x16GB DDR 3600 CL16 (CL14 also available looks like from gskill)
  2. 2x32GB DDR 3600 CL16
  3. 2x32GB DDR 3800 CL18

·
Registered
133 Posts
so you need 64gb?
Tell me if my thinking is wrong, but I build a PC and keep it for foreverrrr. Still on my old Q6600.

So I am thinking 64GB instead of 32GB should last me for the life of the mobo/CPU for gaming as even titles today like Star Citizen are performing better with 32GB instead of 16.. This test (Zen 3 RAM Speeds: An Analysis of the Best RAM for Zen 3 | PremiumBuilds) shows that DDR4 3600-3800 is the sweet spot for Zen 3, and these speeds are available now in 64GB so I see no reason to buy 32GB now and upgrade later (don't really want to use unmatched RAM), but the article doesn't discuss whether 4 sticks vs. 2 sticks is optimal, which from my understanding is motherboard dependent.

·
Registered
167 Posts
well on all X570 2 stick are better for OC then 4. Just not sure if 64gb is the way to go if gaming not needed. Hard to tell

·
Registered
251 Posts
haha yeah i did a quick... 3800 1.1 but crappy F31h makes audio problems and i loos 200 in cpu-Z in multicore bench...

Some people get 4000 or more no problem, so probably it is up to BIOS at this moment.

I will aim at 3933 (as 1966 FLCK should be issue free, more can cause other issues as I'm informed) but with lowest timings I could get. I will also watercool it (so slightly more than 1.5V probably). Would like to get around 50ns latency if possible.

Because we ordered exactly same RAM, can you let me know just to confirm, it have temperature sensor?

·
Registered
167 Posts
you mean a Temp sensor in hwinfo... well i see ram temps but cold 38c not more. Well you can go higher with ram but not 1.1 Fclk after 4000 if lucky maybe but now no. BIOS is bad, i loos 200 in multicore CPU-Z score with 3800 1:1 now. CPU is faster in score at 3600 vs 3800, but later we see if the bios will get better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
well was 56.5 ns already with quick setup and bad bios but you will not water cool RAM? well my CPU is and GPU will be soon when block comes also water cooled.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
testmem5 errors.png

There is a memory section you can get lots of great help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
you mean a Temp sensor in hwinfo... well i see ram temps but cold 38c not more. Well you can go higher with ram but not 1.1 Fclk after 4000 if lucky maybe but now no. BIOS is bad, i loos 200 in multicore CPU-Z score with 3800 1:1 now. CPU is faster in score at 3600 vs 3800, but later we see if the bios will get better.

I mean, if sensor is included at this RAM kit at all. So it is, as you can see temps. But I did not understand you fully. You mean it reach 38C max now? If so, under which stress you put it?

Some users go beyond 1900FLCK no problem, some have issues like you. Probably as you say, it is bad BIOS at this moment. They promised better BIOS for higher FLCK stable. Also I seen latency closer to 50ns with almost same frequency and timings, I guess it is also up to BIOS.

Yes my idea is to watercool RAM also. Thats why I'm interested to know more about temps now.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Anything above 1.35v I would use active cooling on the RAM. If your GPU is long enough you can place a fan facing the RAM and heat-sink. I've been running my rig like this for years.

·
Registered
167 Posts
yes temps did go 38.5 max with tests, now its 36.5c in windows, no need to cool RAM with water. Even if ram got to 45 its all ok. you will have air flow from radiators so no need to water cool ram...As i think hard to make also. i am not sure if 50ns is possible with same. I had 3900x with 63 ns and fast ram setting so happy unter 60 for 5900x.

·
Registered
167 Posts
so in the Ram kit there is no sensor with cables inside... is over the bus with data so you and see all in HWinfo, was not sure if you did ask for sensor with cable. I did not put a sensor with cable on it but data over bus is ok for me

·
Registered
251 Posts
yes temps did go 38.5 max with tests, now its 36.5c in windows, no need to cool RAM with water. Even if ram got to 45 its all ok. you will have air flow from radiators so no need to water cool ram...As i think hard to make also. i am not sure if 50ns is possible with same. I had 3900x with 63 ns and fast ram setting so happy unter 60 for 5900x.

You are right. Looking at RAM temps now, no watercooling is needed. But probably you have good airflow over sticks, and ambient temperatures are probably lower now where your PC is. However I'm concerned when summer temps kick in (30C+ in my room) with eventually 1.5V+, than maybe better cooling will be needed. Can't say for sure as I have still no expirience with it.

I read almost all threads about this, so yes I seen close to 50ns, even 50 exactly. But as I already say, some users have issues with higher FLCK, some not - probably different BIOS is issue. You already stated that you have issues at 1900FLCK, so sure when BIOS get updated in time I belive you will get even better latency.

·
Registered
251 Posts
so in the Ram kit there is no sensor with cables inside... is over the bus with data so you and see all in HWinfo, was not sure if you did ask for sensor with cable. I did not put a sensor with cable on it but data over bus is ok for me

No I did not mean cable. I did ask at GSkill is sensors included and they responded something like "some kits have sensor, some do not have, there is no rule about it and it is not stated on site". Thats why I did ask, because we ordered same kit. Nice of course that sensor is there. I was worried not to end without any temp sensor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ah ok i had real cable sensor on last 3900x build to get temps also, well i did game now 47.5c but GPU had 70c all hot air in case so temps on ram get up also... well i need 3090 on water but no block till now, its like a oven in the case hahaha. in general they ram can get warm the are made for this oc.

·
Registered
251 Posts
ah ok i had real cable sensor on last 3900x build to get temps also, well i did game now 47.5c but GPU had 70c all hot air in case so temps on ram get up also... well i need 3090 on water but no block till now, its like a oven in the case hahaha. in general they ram can get warm the are made for this oc.

Yes, GPU can blow out ton of hot air, and you really need good airflow overall to cope with it. I have no idea about 3090 and blocks for it. As it is relative new, hope it will be produced so you can solve that temp problem. Backplate of GPU (hell I do not even know design of 3090 as I did not have interest for GPU upgrade at this moment, maybe later in 2021, so I can only speak from my 1080TI Aorus perspective :D ) can radiate much heat to RAM if it is near and if get very hot.

So, you can try maybe aircooler for RAM, if you have space for it (I don't know what CPU cooler you use). Cooler is always better.

16GB dual rank sticks are harder to OC sure, but I don't know if latency have to be worse sole for reason it is 16GB sticks. I guess, as you have issues with 1900FLCK, that it is all current bad BIOS issue. It may happen that you get better latency when things get properly patched and optimised.

There is some Zen3 RAM OC results :

But I also read other threads and I'm sure I seen good latency on 16GB sticks (32GB total), I mean closer to 50ns. It may be many factors, I'm new to AMD (ordering parts at this moment) so I still have no direct expirience and I don't know better than this. Maybe best wait for BIOS updates and than try get most out of RAM.

681 - 700 of 841 Posts