Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was about to pick up an open box Asus P6T for $175 when I saw an openbox X58A-UD3R on Newegg openbox for $160+ship. I snagged it after doing only very minimal research (perhaps a good thing since there might have only been one or two... it showed as sold out about a minute after I picked one up).

Anyways, I only recently looked over the board layout and realized that the placement of the only PCI slot is a bit odd. I want to be able to use my XtremeMusic, but that looks like it would restrict Crossfire on any two-slot cards.

The only way I can see it working is if I use a long flex bridge (the asus 100mm kind) and use these two slots. Would that work? And if so, what bandwidth would I be getting?

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
The layout is horrible.

Yes you could crossfire them using a long bridge like that, but keep in mind that most cases don't support that 8th expansion slot so the card probably won't fit in a case. Also, as far as I've seen, X58 boards can't manually split PCI-E lanes to what you want them to be like on some boards (certain 790FX boards have this feature I know) so you will most likely be stuck running them in x8/x8.

• Rep+
Reactions: killa_concept

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkPenguin
View Post

Hi there, just had a look at the markings on my board and the slots you have marked are x8, with the top and 3rd slot down being full x16.

This reaffirms that you will be stuck in x8/x8

I haven't seen any x58 boards that can manually split lanes; and I've had a Classified, DFI UT, and Bloodrage.

• Rep+
Reactions: killa_concept

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crud - well I've just sold my 4870 off and am only left with a 4870x2, sooo I could just stick with a single card solution... but that seems pointless/counter-intuitive when your board has 4 freaking PCIe lanes. I'm not about to part with my soundcard - going from onboard to an Xtrememusic was an amazing choice.

I guess my choices are to either get another board, get a a PCIe soundcard, or switch boards

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Yea that's the one thing that makes me mad about Gigabyte x58 boards... other than the fact they use 24 phase power on the high end ones lol

Anyway, another solution to fix the problem would be to buy a PCI riser cable thing. Here is one similar to what I'm talking about. You could either buy a PCI-E x16 riser card and run your GPU somewhere else, or buy a PCI riser card (I'm pretty sure they would make these) and then run your sound card down a little lower.

·
Still lurkin about :/
1,552 Posts
I know how you feel, I am having to leave out my Xfi on my current rig to make sure I get enough air round the GPU whilst folding, onboard audio does suck lol.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkPenguin
View Post

I know how you feel, I am having to leave out my Xfi on my current rig to make sure I get enough air round the GPU whilst folding, onboard audio does suck lol.

Yeah - I didn't use to think so, but after getting my XtremeMusic, I could never go back...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3
View Post

Yea that's the one thing that makes me mad about Gigabyte x58 boards... other than the fact they use 24 phase power on the high end ones lol

Anyway, another solution to fix the problem would be to buy a PCI riser cable thing. Here is one similar to what I'm talking about. You could either buy a PCI-E x16 riser card and run your GPU somewhere else, or buy a PCI riser card (I'm pretty sure they would make these) and then run your sound card down a little lower.

Yeah - I used a riser in my SFF build but that only worked because the case was self made... I don't think the use of one (even a flexy) here would allow me to line up with my case and I would have to do some modding to get it to function properly anyways. I love my UD3P, and this board would be great - but the layout on the board is just plain silly...

I just checked newegg, and luckily, since I ordered it late on Friday, I still have the option to cancel my order. Should I do so and just go with the P6T instead?

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Why not just use the first and third PCIe slot for Crossfire and then put your sound card in the last slot?

Edit:

D'oh, forgot your card is PCI.

·
Still lurkin about :/
1,552 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killa_concept
View Post

I still have the option to cancel my order. Should I do so and just go with the P6T instead?

I would say if the difference between this board and the P6T is less than the price of a PCIe Xfi then yes.

If not get a PCIe soundcard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts