·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever i set this up the system reboots right when I load memtest

my memory is Viper 2 PV2361600LLKB an I have 12gb

I set the QPI 6.4 and timings to 8-8-8-24 1T and 1.66v

whenever I default it goes to 1066 and memtest runs

I have the latest BIOS... what can I try now?

I have tried different medias (USB and CDROM) still reboots

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
Ram fsb ratio.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by manolith View Post
Ram fsb ratio.
do you know where its located and what I should try?

i tried with a 10x and 12x still doing it

the 10x puts it to 1333 and 12x puts it to 1600 (which the memory should be)

am I doing something wrong?

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xsabrewulf View Post
do you know where its located and what I should try?
It should be under the memory tab. Start at 2:8 then raise the bclk until you get the ram clock you are after. Change the devider if you will run very low bclk so you could get the ram clock you are after again.

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts
You can try raising the Uncore Clock Ratio so the Uncore Frequency is 3200MHz, after selecting the Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) that matches the 1600MHz speed. Then set the voltage.

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts
The memory's information is located here. The Qualified Vendor's List of memory is here. Page 17 of the MB's manual explains memory installation. The MB information is located here. The latest BIOS and all board information is located here. The Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) contains all of the correct timings for the speed the memory's rated at.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacG32
View Post

The memory's information is located here. The Qualified Vendor's List of memory is here. Page 17 of the MB's manual explains memory installation. The MB information is located here. The latest BIOS and all board information is located here. The Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) contains all of the correct timings for the speed the memory's rated at.

ok XMP set the timings good... I put the uncore clock to 3200
set the voltage to 1.66

still reboots when i try to start memtest... i have not seen memtest act like this before... either get red errors or no POST...

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts
The board will only use 6GBs of your memory in every other slot from your CPU at it's rated speed.

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts
One of the people in the owners club bought 12GBs of Corsair and it only runs at the standard SPD and not at it's rated speed.

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts
Yup. Sorry, it is 12GB Kingston HYPERX T1 [email protected]

Edit: Actually 1333MHz. My kids are distracting me.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacG32
View Post

One of the people in the owners club bought 12GBs of Corsair and it only runs at the standard SPD and not at it's rated speed.

is that going to be the same for most ram? or should I buy a different brand?

·
Registered
374 Posts
You should try 2T command rate. I bet that is your issue. Then you should be able to run memtest and boot, assuming your memory is fine.

After you confirm the memory is fine you can fine-tune your memory speed; you should be able to get it to 1600 at 8-8-8-24 and 2T. But test it using default speeds.

Try setting uncore speed to Auto.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balthazor View Post
You should try 2T command rate. I bet that is your issue. Then you should be able to run memtest and boot, assuming your memory is fine.

After you confirm the memory is fine you can fine-tune your memory speed; you should be able to get it to 1600 at 8-8-8-24 and 2T. But test it using default speeds.

Try setting uncore speed to Auto.

I tried 2T

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts
Quote:

is that going to be the same for most ram? or should I buy a different brand?
You can check the Qualified Vendor's List of memory to see speed, MBs per piece, and how many pieces. I chose what I have from that list.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you still have problems, try setting your QPI voltage to 1.3v; you might need more voltage than the stock 1.2v when trying to run 6 DIMMs.

I'm running 12GB Kingston 2000MHz memory, but that speed is really only supported when using 6GB. I have to run it at 1600 MHz, 8-8-8-24 2T timings, 1.66v VDimm, and 1.3v QPI.

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts
Quote:

I tried 2T
This board is a picky b word when it comes to memory.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
more craziness...

I noticed when i power it on POST only shows 6gb sometimes, 4gb sometimes, and 12gb sometimes... I know this memory is fine since I had it in a EVGA board

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts
Quote:

more craziness...

I noticed when i power it on POST only shows 6gb sometimes, 4gb sometimes, and 12gb sometimes... I know this memory is fine since I had it in a EVGA board
Before I got this board, I researched the memory compatibilities. When I came across that list, I knew I was good to go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts