Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 699 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two of these boards X99- SOC Force and X99 Gaming G1. If anyone else has them let me know, I will update this thread with pics and stuff soon too.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Chyeah! Have my Soc force ordered - hopefully Amazon ships it next week. Will definitely post pics when it arrives. First time owning a Gigabyte board, definitely excited and looking forward to the experience.
wink.gif

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Have you been able to test the x99-UD7 and UD5? Also what are the differences on those two, they almost look the same. I just know of the heat pipe connection that the UD5 doesnt have.
Other than that are those two boards pretty much the same hardware wise? VRM's and all that?
Also cant find the UD7 anywhere to buy, I assume its not out yet?
So gigabytes boards do support the higher memory speed for sure?
Sorry for all the questions? rolleyes.gif
Im kind of set on one of those 2 boards.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1510026/x99-motherboard-roundup/0_50

Posted that in the x99 Motherboard roundup (linked).

Just found this thread, so I see my first question about you possibly having tested the UD7/5 is answered.

Figured I come here and post those questions. Unless they are answered somewhere.
Still looking for the differences between those 2 boards hardware wise.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just picked up a UD4. Unfortunately, after putting it all together, it can't get past the gigabyte splash screen. It just gives me a blank screen with an cursor at the top left and the text 'a9' in the bottom right corner. Tried unplugging everything, removing all except 1 dimm, but then it just gives blank screen after the splash. Tried a different video card which i know works, still no dice. Also reset CMOS by taking the battery out.

Bout to exchange this for a different board, wish it had some kind of debug lcd/led's.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verpowered View Post

Just picked up a UD4. Unfortunately, after putting it all together, it can't get past the gigabyte splash screen. It just gives me a blank screen with an cursor at the top left and the text 'a9' in the bottom right corner. Tried unplugging everything, removing all except 1 dimm, but then it just gives blank screen after the splash. Tried a different video card which i know works, still no dice. Also reset CMOS by taking the battery out.

Bout to exchange this for a different board, wish it had some kind of debug lcd/led's.
what cpu and ram did u use? yeah, i canceled my soc force due to seeing some lackluster performance on memory. sorry, sin, i really love what gigabyte has done for x99, but i gotta see some stability before i commit.

·
Premium Member
9,157 Posts
^ Most X99 boards appear to have space issues with memory power supply (and they need two of them). They appear to usually have one phase per side. Ironically z97 boards often have 2.

This is pure speculation by the way. Sin would know better with close examination.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used 16gb crucial 2133 ddr4 with a 5820k. Strange thing is, the first time i powered it on, it actually booted into windows, then froze a couple minutes in while installing drivers. Then, the 2nd time it booted up, I got it into the BIOS and switched it to HD mode. After that, it just froze/didnt respond to input while in the bios. After rebooting again after the freeze, i couldn't get back into the BIOS or windows. Before it froze, it showed my CPU temp at 26C, so don't have any overheating issues or anything.

When i bought this board on launch day, it was 299. At this price point, it should at least have debugging tools, as I'm sure other manufacturers do. Also, theres no clear CMOS button or anything. Although, the LED lights on it are a unique touch.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Upgraded my system with the Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1 and a 5960X CPU. My main reason for going with the Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1 vs any other board is that this board supports 16x/8X/8X/8X PCI-E operation when using 4-Way SLI. The on-board sound was another consideration. The headphone amplifier and the Core3D sound processor are great for gaming.

I also bought 32GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800 DDR4 memory (8 x 4GB). I've been unable to get the system to even boot when the memory is set to its XMP profile using the F7b BIOS. This particular BIOS sets the base clock to 105MHz to help get the memory to run at its rated speed, but it does not help for 2800. I've tried taking out 16GB of memory so that the board has 4 modules in it. Doesn't make one bit of difference. I am, however, able to easily get the memory to 2520 without any problems what-so-ever. Any slight increase in memory speed and the system refuses to boot.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Photo of my system with the board:

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47 View Post

Upgraded my system with the Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1 and a 5960X CPU. My main reason for going with the Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1 vs any other board is that this board supports 16x/8X/8X/8X PCI-E operation when using 4-Way SLI. The on-board sound was another consideration. The headphone amplifier and the Core3D sound processor are great for gaming.

I also bought 32GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800 DDR4 memory (8 x 4GB). I've been unable to get the system to even boot when the memory is set to its XMP profile using the F7b BIOS. This particular BIOS sets the base clock to 105MHz to help get the memory to run at its rated speed, but it does not help for 2800. I've tried taking out 16GB of memory so that the board has 4 modules in it. Doesn't make one bit of difference. I am, however, able to easily get the memory to 2520 without any problems what-so-ever. Any slight increase in memory speed and the system refuses to boot.
Hey use the 1.25x divider and 21.33

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I tried 1.25X earlier, but the system refused to boot. Your reply reminded me that when I was using my ASRock Extreme11 X79 with the 1.25X multipler, I had to disable all C states. Disabled all of them and it booted just fine. Running at 2666 now.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz87 View Post

http://www.overclock.net/t/1510026/x99-motherboard-roundup/0_50

Posted that in the x99 Motherboard roundup (linked).

Just found this thread, so I see my first question about you possibly having tested the UD7/5 is answered.

Figured I come here and post those questions. Unless they are answered somewhere.
Still looking for the differences between those 2 boards hardware wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verpowered View Post

Here according to here:
http://www.eteknix.com/exclusive-gigabyte-ga-x99-ud5-wifi-motherboard-revealed/
These are the differences
Gigabyte's UD5 WiFi sports a FastBoot and OC button which the UD7 WiFi does not have
Gigabyte's UD5 WiFi lacks a USB DAC port on the rear I/O which the UD7 WiFi has
Gigabyte's UD5 WiFi loses a connecting heat pipe between the top heatsink and the PCH heatsink which the UD7 WiFi has

So about memory with dividers above 26.66, right now up to 26.66 works with the 1.25x divider, to go above that you need to use the 1.25x divider until they tune the higher dividers. Just don't forget that using the 1.25x divider will also increase your CPU sped and cache speed to areas where they prob wont be stable, so you'll need to drop down their dividers.

As as far as memory at least ont he X99 SOC Force, hicookie has done 3400 Quad CHannel(4 dimms) cas15 with hyperpi and memtest:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm already on F7b for the X99 Gaming G1. Updated to it earlier this morning.

·
Registered
200 Posts
After updating my UD4 to the latest F8b bios, I was able to POST and get into Windows. Very happy now.

1 - 20 of 699 Posts